• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Kat's V7 850 Special - Wannabe Racer

GoodKat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi there, Guzzisti!

NOTA BENE: This topic is to keep a track on all the mods I'm doing to my Guzzi. Feel free to chime in if you got any questions or advices for me.

I really love the Moto Guzzi philosophy of building agricultural motorcycles and the racing pedigree of the brand. Starting from this and knowing that I like to tinker to my own irons, it was just a matter of time until I start to put my hands on it.

As a side piece of info, I've built myself a shed behind my house and I've bought some basic tools, to help me do my stuff after the long office hours. I'm sure that most of you can relate to this.

It all started as a standard 2022 V7 850 Special in the beautiful blue color.

Original

For a period of several months I've did nothing than just ride it. First mod I did was the Monza gas cap. The standard one was rattling every time I was passing over a speed bump or a hole, the guys from the dealership told me it is normal (yeah right) so I said that's a good-enough excuse to get a Monza cap.

It was a Triumph Bonneville unit, so It needed a bit of work. but in the end it worked out nicely and it looks like this:
Gas Tank Cap 1 Gas Tank Cap 2 Gas Tank Cap 3 Gas Tank Cap 4 Gas Tank Cap 6 Gas Tank Cap 7 Gas Tank Cap 5

Was happy how it turned out, and then I said that I want to remove the chromed grab rail. To remove the grab rail, you need some kind of washers / bushings that have the sole purpose of locking the top shock mounts in place. I did some washer / bushings from 6060 grade aluminum on my mini lathe.

DISCLAIMER: I have minimal near to 0 knowledge when it comes to machining. YouTube is my main teacher and I learn as I turn the metal on the lathe.
WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001141 4 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001141 5 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001142 1 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001142 2 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001142

I've tried to maintain the factory style and the shape is a bit conical. It is similar to the washers that are on the headlight.

The next mod I've made, was to make new shifter and brake pedal toe pegs. A bit longer and a bit larger in diameter. I wear pretty big numbers so a bigger toe peg offers me a better feeling.

WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001141 2 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001141 3 WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 001141

I didn't like the empty front-end, a fly screen was needed. Sourced a BMW R nine T unit and made some brackets out of stainless steel. A few hours of elbow grease and got this:

WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 003525

At this moment, the bike looks like this:
WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 003152
WhatsApp Image 2022 12 11 at 003242

NEXT mods in queue:

- Remove the passenger pegs and replace them with some shiny stainless steel brackets - I need to do some CAD (cardboard aided design) and try to transfer them so a stainless steel plate.

- Swap from straight handlebars to clip-on bars, to complete the Racer looks I'm aiming for.

Cheers!

To be continued...

Following with high interest.

Granted, you guys and your low bar cafe racer stuff is something my broken spine just won’t do anymore (or my fat ass for that matter), but I enjoy watching you all go.

Honestly, if I had the unbroken body I had 30 years ago, my garage would be filled with Ducati’s as much as Moto Guzzi’s.

I miss my insane track days and Southern California roads on my Ducks…

Following with high interest.

Granted, you guys and your low bar cafe racer stuff is something my broken spine just won’t do anymore (or my fat ass for that matter), but I enjoy watching you all go.

Honestly, if I had the unbroken body I had 30 years ago, my garage would be filled with Ducati’s as much as Moto Guzzi’s.

I miss my insane track days and Southern California roads on my Ducks…

Hi again, Scott! Thank you for your interest. New updates soon on my build, along with some photos from my garage.

The thing is that I'm 6ft 3 and have pretty long hands and the static position is not as bad as it seems.

Plus, everything is/will bolt on, I want to be able to switch between clip on bars and upright bars in less than 1 hr. I want to create some kind of a kit.

Good for you, @GoodKat.

Who doesn't applaud enthusiasm and creativity in the pursuit of moto-happiness? :clap:

OTOH, after looking at that new gas cap, I sure hope that you add an athletic cup protector to your ATGATT closet. Otherwise, in any accident, you might end up as a castrato, which, while providing an employment opportunity with the Vienna Boys’ Choir, might also adversely affect any close personal relationships. :giggle:

Oh, very nice looking machine. When you are satisfied with all of those mods, post some riding pix of your part of the world
sometime down in the trip-report section here. Time and money — the usual culprits — will likely keep me from doing it, but I’ve always wanted to visit Romania.

Bill

Good for you, @GoodKat.

Who doesn't applaud enthusiasm and creativity in the pursuit of moto-happiness? :clap:

OTOH, after looking at that new gas cap, I sure hope that you add an athletic cup protector to your ATGATT closet. Otherwise, in any accident, you might end up as a castrato, which, while providing an employment opportunity with the Vienna Boys’ Choir, might also adversely affect any close personal relationships. :giggle:

Oh, very nice looking machine. When you are satisfied with all of those mods, post some riding pix of your part of the world
sometime down in the trip-report section here. Time and money — the usual culprits — will likely keep me from doing it, but I’ve always wanted to visit Romania.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! The photos make the cap look much bigger than it really is. Will post some photos as soon as I get home.

Now, the clip-ons update.

As you already know, Guzzis are using a VERY rare stanchion size: 40 mm.

The clip-ons variants are limited and expensive, so I took a different route, cheaper but needs some elbow grease: adapting clip-ons from other bikes.

After some measurements, I've figured that the clip-ons from the Suzuki SV1000S are a good candidate for the conversion.

IMG 20221207 193610

Inner diameter 46 mm, a decent rise by about 35-40 mm and wide enough to clear the top triple tree.

Obviously, to fit them, some sleeves must be made. Turned on my mini lathe some 3mm thick sleeves out of 6061 series aluminum and they work as a charm.
IMG 20221123 171326

IMG 20221123 091422

IMG 20221123 230658

IMG 20221124 130654

IMG 20221208 135353

IMG 20221208 135417

I've also tested them by clamping a 40mm diameter bar and put it in the bench vice. Pulled as hard as I could with the both hands, I've pulled the bench but the clip-on didn't rotate on the bar.

Here is a comparison on how the clip-ons are looking compared to the standard bars. Obviously, you can shift the position to a more back-friendly one.

IMG 20221208 165130

This is going to be a thread I’ll follow!

Thanks, Dave! Probably I'll not post as often as I'd wish because the lack of time / materials, but will try my best. For example, I don't like the rear breake light. It looks cheaply made and it's all plastic. I want to make a custom one, but I'm waiting for a chunk of aluminum big enough to make a nice tail light...and also I need to make a cool fender eliminator to go with the light.

Some minor updates:

I want to remove the passenger pegs, they are ugly AF!

Therefore, last night I've started learning some CAD software and I've made a simple part that should replace the standard passenger pegs and also act as exhaust brackets / mounts.

This morning I've had them laser cut out of 6 mm thick stainless steel plate.

Got some more screw covers to make out of aluminum, some aluminum spacers and the most hard part: to bend them...somehow...at the right angles...and other stuff like chamfering the edges and giving them a smoother brushed finish.

IMG 20221216 150710

IMG 20221216 181543

IMG 20221217 233934

Yesterday had a bit of time and turned these to go with the exhaust hangers. They took me more than expected because I need new carbide inserts for the lathe tools. The old ones are worn out.

Very enjoyable read look forward to more
Thank you, sir! Cannot wait to finish it. I have some really nice ideas...at least that's how they look in my mind. Hopefully will be the same when I'll finish the build.

Hello lads,

Today I've had a bit of free time and made the brackets to fit on the standard position for the exhaust cans. Basically, you can swap between brackets & pegs in a matter of minutes.

Some cutting and welding was involved to make them fit, since the standard triangular shape I've originally cut wasn't spot on as I desired.

Tomorrow I'm going to add some gussets to make the brackets a little bit more rigid. Also, the exhaust cans are not rigid mounted. Some rubber bushings were added.

And of course, all of this followed by the tedious filing and sanding job.

Until further updates I want to wish you a happy new year, friends!

Cheers!

Bracket

Last edited:
Back