• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Landing gear stuck.... Side stand won't kick down.

yukonica

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
If this was a one off incident I'd leave the issue alone. On twice: I'd put it down to quirks. Today was the forth time I've pulled up to a destination and have not been able to kick down my side-stand. (this is OEM North America). Anyone else having this problem?... 2013 Special.
I looked at the 'German' parts manual; there are no grease nipples. (sorry if I offended anyone with graphic language). The bolt/nut are tight. Springs are clear of crude. And I don't think I'd have missed touching down the stand while cornering (unless I was kicking Marquez's butt in my dreams) so I doubt it has been jammed into place (four times)
Any suggestions? I'm headed to Skagway AK tomorrow and would find it embarrassing to ask my fellow riders: "What do you mean we're stopping? ... ?"

Mackers, thanks for the reply... WFT am I greasing?
Does it require taking it apart then applying lithe to the bolt sleeve and a re-assemble? Seems pretty labourious.
Starting to sound like a job for WD40 to me...
Perhaps a centre stand will teach that side-kick a lesson.....

I've had a couple times when it has felt like it was stuck but has always ended up cooperating. With the stock pipes it felt like there was only a small tab to get my toe on. With Todd's new pipe it is all exposed and very easy to put down. You better get a 2 into 1. It has cured all my problems.:rolleyes:

p3_zps93387ab3.jpg

:)
Fireflyr, to paraphrase an old movie: "you make me raff"
Those pipes will be on this bike. Maybe not as a solution to this particular issue.
Upcoming winter is dedicated to fine tuning ergonomics/suspension and aesthetics.
If time and money is in surplus: pipes and a matched throttle body won't have to wait until winter 2015.
.... 2015 it is.

Hey Fireflyr, your front slider covers.... are they a PIA to keep clean?
Today I washed my bike and noticed that some of our tougher bugs were chipping paint off my fairing upon their demise but my fork tubes were clean and only took one pass of the cloth to remove any residue.
Are covers a fashion exercise or do you find they are a practical advantage on a streeter?
Thx.

Fireflyr.... what year is the Ghia? I had a Type 3 fuel injected wagon while in university. Great little car.

I know our Guzzis do not need it but my favorite lube for the side stand pivot is chain lube. Spray and ride. I also use it on the pivots for the footpegs, centerstand (wish the 1400 had one) and brake pivot. I have also used spray grease but the chain lube seems to penetrate better.

When the sidestand on my 2004 Breva 750 starts to stiffen up, I just shoot it up good with WD-40. Lasts for a couple of weeks. Repeat as needed.

Sorry I missed the questions. The Ghia is a '65. I bought it from a friend and have been putting off the restoration. It has a 1600 DP in it, dropped front spindles and disc brakes. It's a hoot to drive.
No problem with bugs this year with the drought conditions. I can't say that I've hit a bug in months. I don't miss them. The fork boots are functional I guess but they cracked pretty early on and I haven't replaced them yet.

w2_zps5897cd14.jpg

Sweet car. Enjoy cradling a piece of history.
Regarding bugs: I wish I had your problem.
Then again, in another month I won't have that problem. They'll be frozen.
:)

Back