• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Late Model EV to California Wheel Swap

Rugar

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Ever since going to the Malibu Rally and seeing those nice chrome tubeless EV wheels in person, I knew I had to have a set for my 02 California Special Sport. But was told that they are hard to find, and especially hard to find in great shape without the chrome flaking off. When Todd started parting out a 03 EV, I jumped at the chance of buying the wheels from him. I was told by a few people that they should be a direct bolt on for my bike. Well that didn't turn out to be the case for the rear wheel, although the front did bolt right up. In 02 Guzzi put the wide swing-arm on the California's, which is the same arm used on the LM EV's, but they still used the narrow hub tube type wheel from the earlier models. The LM EV wheels have a wider hub, in which makes the spacing totally different as I found out after pulling everything apart.

What was needed for the swap was
(A) a different drive flange in the rear drive:
My original on the right and the donor from Rich R on the left that had a broken Ring and Pinion in it. (Thanks Rich!) You can see that mine was nearly a 1/2" longer to make up the difference in the narrow hub wheels. The donor rear drive is from a early Jackal (2000 I believe?), but it is also the same as a LM EV. I'm not positive, but I think that 02 may be the only year that Guzzi used the offset drive flange from what Ive been able to research.
9612c723.jpg

(B.) a different length spacer that presses in the rear drive.
My original on the left and the donor on the right. The donor is off the 03 rear drive that Rich had bought from Todd, and had been mated with my new wheels originally. (Thanks again Rich)
0027eb3b.jpg

35dc103d.jpg

(c) Brake caliper bracket. My original wheels used the brake bracket and a spacer on the left side of the wheel. The EV uses just the bracket for spacing. The spacer part of the brake bracket on the EV is wider then mine was. I was going to just make a spacer to make up the difference until I tried bolting my caliper in place. The EV caliper also has a different off-set and is narrower where the caliper bolts on. I ended up getting the EV brake bracket from Rich also.
Sorry to say I didn't get pictures of the two brake brackets side by side.

(D) The rubber cush drives in the EV wheels are thicker then mine were, although Guzzi just shows one part number for the cush drives. I had to get the originals from the EV wheels back from Todd.

fafcaf9d.jpg

dd4e50ac.jpg

You can see how much lower the rubber sits in the EV wheel when my earlier model rubber was placed in the wheel. The cush drives don't come close to being against the drive plate using the earlier style rubbers. My original drive plate however did work with the EV wheels as there was no difference from different model years.

e38f11a2.jpg

Since the rear drive had to come apart, I decided to send the housing out to be power coated. After debating over what color, I ended up having it done in black wrinkle coat to match the Motor and Trans.

98069420.jpg

90d52b48.jpg

c7a63758.jpg

13db1395.jpg

4596113c.jpg

778bd26a.jpg

a756354a.jpg

Still need to get the new tire mounted on the new front wheel this week, and get the bike cleaned back up. I will post pictures of the front wheel on the bike next weekend.
I rode it 150 miles yesterday with the new rear wheel and tire, and my old original front wheel on it. No problems with it at all except it didn't handle worth a damn with that new fat Road-Smart on the back, and a bias ply tire on the front.

Everything worked out great because Rich R is doing the opposite of what I did. He is putting narrow hub wheels on a wide swing-arm. We ended up trading drive flanges, spacers, and brake brackets. Hopefully he will be able to make everything work using my original parts on his.

just saw this...Duh! gerald that is a nice set up! I like the blacked out drive and new wheel!

Back