• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Le Mans III question about rear shocks and triple clamp

donleguano

Just got it firing!
Hello

Sorry for my bad english.

Im Luca, live in switzerland, originally form italy.
I just bought a Le Mans III from 82 and want to build a cafe racer.

I have some questions:

Rear shocks:
With which rear shocks would you go, New Bitubo's made to order but with original length (they can't do longer ones or custom Ikons (konis), made to order which are 8mm longer then the original shocks?

Upper Triple Tree Clamp:
Does anyone have all measurements of the upper triple tree clamp of the Le Mans III?

I want to replace the original because i want a clean one, without holes for the handlebar.
I saw this one which i really like, but i absolutely don't know if it fits on a Le Mans III without changing other things?

http://shop.officine08.it/p12530_coppia ... -35mm.html

I already called them and they couldn't say me if it works or not.

Hope you can help me :)

Thx!
Luca

Ciao Luca!

I don't have any answeres for you but wanted to thank you for posting that site. Interesting.

Alex

Thank you guys for your help.

I already have the manuals and the extension for the Le Mans III.
But I'm 100% sure, that the G5 has not the same Triple Clamp measures as the Le Mans III.

I readed something about 180mm and 185mm, I'm very unsure whats correct?

Can someone help? What about the rearshocks, what would you do?

Thx,
Luca

donleguano said:
Thank you guys for your help.

I already have the manuals and the extension for the Le Mans III.
But I'm 100% sure, that the G5 has not the same Triple Clamp measures as the Le Mans III.

I readed something about 180mm and 185mm, I'm very unsure whats correct?

Can someone help? What about the rearshocks, what would you do?

Thx,
Luca

The clamps may not be the same, but should have the same geometry. The site I gave you also lists the parts manuals, you can compare part numbers to confirm of disprove your suspicion. If the dimensions are different, the diagram for the front forks would have been included in the LeMans supplement. As for the rear shocks, I'd keep the geometry the same, that is stay with original length shocks. Either brand would be good.

Thx for helping, i didn't thought about checking the parts list… thx!

i just checked and its not the same code and i also checked the LMIII Extension and there is no specification for the fork head… :S

donleguano said:
Thx for helping, i didn't thought about checking the parts list… thx!

i just checked and its not the same code and i also checked the LMIII Extension and there is no specification for the fork head… :S

Time to take some measurements. See if they are the same as the G5 or not.

Luca
The LM3 has fork centers of 180 mm (same as LM1,V7 Sport,S3 ,750 S)
LM2 and G5,CONVERT 850 T,T3,T4,SP etc all have center to center distance of 195mm.

If you want to have no holes etc on your top clamp you can grind back the instrument mounts and just fill the holes with body filler and then paint it .
Or if you wish to polish it you will need to get it welded up,grind it back and polish it.

The std Ikon shocks work well and are good value for the money(and are Australian made :D .

Brett

Luca, I have had several twin shock Guzzis, with Ikon (or Koni) I have fitted 25mm longer shocks.
Gives you more ground clearance and decreases the rake. In general terms a rear rise of 25 mm will get you 1 degree steeper rake. I confirmed this by using Tony Foales Suspension Kinematics. Result will be quicker lighter faster steering and turn in to corners. 27 degrees is hardly considered steep but you will love the difference.

Ikon usually come with heavy springs assuming you have a fat girlfriend with a large kitchen sink. Order the next softer set if you will only ride solo. Also you can set each shock to different spring and damping settings, trust me you will not detect any flex or undesirable handling quirks. This allows a single change with only half the effect as uniform settings.

Back