• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Leaking Spoke

PJD

Tuned and Synch'ed
I found one of my front wheel spokes is leaking aprox 3 psi per day. I tried just nipping the spoke up but its still leaking. I will drop it into the dealers and hope they have a set of O rings for it. Otherwise, does anybody know if you can fit a tube to these rims without any side affect. Curently running MetezlerZ6 tyres.

Cheers,...Peter.

How did you know the spoke was leaking? was it just a case of checking all your spokes for tightness?

I noticed the front wheel was loosing pressure as I check them every 2 weeks or so. Just by spraying soapy water on the spoke where it enters the rim revealed bubbles @ one of the spokes. The dealer removed the tire and replaced the spoke O ring on Friday last week. I checked the pressure on the way home and pumped it up to 36psi. I checked it at home Saturday with my digital guage and it was OK. This morning (Sunday) it was back down to 32psi @ the gas station. I sprayed soapy water on it again and there are no leaks so maybe its the different guages ( it was definetly leaking at 1 spoke before). Will go back to the same gas station on Tuesday and check again

You have to worry about these spoked tubless rims,...so many places for a leak to happen. I have noticed on average they loose 1 - 2 psi per week.

PJD said:
I noticed the front wheel was loosing pressure as I check them every 2 weeks or so. Just by spraying soapy water on the spoke where it enters the rim revealed bubbles @ one of the spokes. The dealer removed the tire and replaced the spoke O ring on Friday last week. I checked the pressure on the way home and pumped it up to 36psi. I checked it at home Saturday with my digital guage and it was OK. This morning (Sunday) it was back down to 32psi @ the gas station. I sprayed soapy water on it again and there are no leaks so maybe its the different guages ( it was definetly leaking at 1 spoke before). Will go back to the same gas station on Tuesday and check again

You have to worry about these spoked tubless rims,...so many places for a leak to happen. I have noticed on average they loose 1 - 2 psi per week.

It is not uncommon for gauges to vary. Buy a good digital gauge and keep it on the bike and only use that gauge. Then if you see a pressure drop it is real. Also some loss over time is normal unless you fill with nitrogen, but that is a whole other story.

PJD said:

I worry about them too. I figure they will be a hassle when the O-rings get some age on them. So far, mine aren't leaking down at all.

I have three digital gauges, and even those all read a little differently. I had one that was so bad it would give a different reading every time I used it. I have an analog Accugauge that I trust the most. You definitely want to stick with the same gauge if checking for a leak.

I'm sure you are correct about long term concerns, but just to add another report, I've only added a couple of psi over the course of a year and a half. No leaking here.

I agree with the comments on the variance in different guages. I have my own digital guage that I carry with me. Our gas stations here in Singapore have digital gagues that you set for the required pressure and connect the hose. System "beeps" when pressure is reached. My local gas station just replaced ther's and I cross checked it with my guage, both the same.

Anyway, the tire now holds pressure after replacing the 1 spoke "O" Ring. Just something to watch out for and is easily detectable with soapy water. I dont like the posibility of so many places to leak but if you look at it positivally, it will only leak slowly and most likley only 1 spoke at a time so you should not ever get stuck.

Were off on our annual ride from Singapore to Phuket, Thailand on this Friday 2/4. The bikes are KTM-SMT990 / BMW-GS1200 / Triumph R3 / BMW 1200GT / HD Road King / HD Fatboy (supercharged) and my Stelvio., bit of a motley crew or what ??? Its Phuket Bike Week the following weekend but we will go up to Kanchanaburi first. This is where the Japs held thousands of POW's and made them work on the infamous Thai / Burma railway. Plenty to see around there including an excellent museum and memorials on the subject. Its also where they filmed the movie Bridge Over The River Kwai. The bridge is still standing as a tourist attraction. Will do a day ride up to the Thai / Burma border same as last year. The trip is 6,000klm over 10 days with lots of partying.

Lookout for the ride report.

Cheers,...Peter.

I've got one on my rear, and it's leaking pretty badly. Guess I'll head over to the dealer and see if he has a fix for it. I'm a little concerned, I've got a big trip coming up in September, and where I'm going, there ain't no Guzzi dealers....

jklotz said:
I've got one on my rear, and it's leaking pretty badly. Guess I'll head over to the dealer and see if he has a fix for it. I'm a little concerned, I've got a big trip coming up in September, and where I'm going, there ain't no Guzzi dealers....

Until recently mine has been doing well. But the front tire appears to be losing air quickly.

If you are talking to Ian, have him get a small pile of o-rings or whatever it takes. I'll likely be needing some too.

What size are the 'O' rings? it may be as well to have a couple spare.
Incidentally, yesterday I checked the tyre pressures on my Stelvio after it had been stood unused in the garage for nearly six weeks; the rear tyre had lost 3lbs and the front 4lbs. Not too really.

alpina says the replacement o-rings are OR-2025-NBR or AS568A.

My Griso SE leaks about 1.5psi per week per wheel, it is acceptable in my book :cool:

Anyone thought of sending the wheel to Woody's Wheel Works and let them to the "silicon thing" like they do on regular spoked rims?

Once that is done it should not be a issue anymore. I think they charge about $100 a wheel.

I'm thinking of sending my NTX rear wheel to them to have it sealed before I mount the Tourance.

I've always steered away from the stuff in the past, but has anyone used or heard recommendations for tyre sealant? Or is it likely to affect the rubber on the O rings? Just a thought, I don't have a Stelvio, but presumably my Griso 8V SE spoked wheels are the same set up.

Joe Bar said:
I've always steered away from the stuff in the past, but has anyone used or heard recommendations for tyre sealant? Or is it likely to affect the rubber on the O rings? Just a thought, I don't have a Stelvio, but presumably my Griso 8V SE spoked wheels are the same set up.

I know the stuff (Slime) they sell in the US will eat away an aluminum rim over time, it also stays liquidified until a hole is present, only then does it become hard to stop the leak......so that wouldn't work.

kwn306 said:
I know the stuff (Slime) they sell in the US will eat away an aluminum rim over time, it also stays liquidified until a hole is present, only then does it become hard to stop the leak......so that wouldn't work.

Kurt,
Would you recommend (Slime) as part of your emergency kit?
For I always dread, when the time will come ....... your stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. :(

If the flat is due to a leaky spoke, I doubt the Slime will work. The centrifugal force of the rotating wheel will keep the Slime on the tyre/tire while the spokes are at the wrong side of the wheel :lol:

DanPez said:
kwn306 said:

Kurt,
Would you recommend (Slime) as part of your emergency kit?
For I always dread, when the time will come ....... your stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. :(

Carry a simple plug kit and a pump. The leak around the spoke is a slow leak. It will get you there, you may need to check the air a couple of times a day.

Back