• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

leaky distributor

Mc Tool

Cruisin' Guzzisti
After a brief ride today , to my dismay I see the oil leak I thought I had fixed by replacing the copper washers on the dual bango thing in the head oil feed pipe, was heaps worse , but the bango was not leaking , it was leaking out of the dizzy ( where the pen is )
DSC00969.jpg

Whats the best fix ( oh experianced ones :) )there is plenty of room on top of that berring for an oil seal.
Beats me , it must be pumping it up there as the void between the two berrings was full of oil. I thought I'd put a couple of sealed berrings and an oil seal, But.... yesterday I changed the oil , now the book sez it holds 3.5 l but I can only get 2.75l in before the dipstick ( new ring pull thing that I scrupulously measured against the original ) sez full ( bike level bla bla bla ) soooooo yesterday I filled to the full mark ( 2.75l ) and added 250m.........and straight away the dizzy starts leaking. Whats the real problem here guys ? have I over filled it or are my dizzy seals just knackeded

You have the distributor apart obviously. It's now well over 20 years old so why not just buy two new bearings from a bearing factor, ($5 a pop I'd guess, 6202's from memory but don't quote me, take one in.) also get two new o-rings for the dizzy shaft, get viton ones and make sure they fit. Reassemble with a bit of Loctite bearing mount around the outside of the bearings. Use rubber grease on the o-rings as you insert the shaft and use a new roll pin with some solder blobbed onto its ends once its in to secure the gear. Pop it back in with a NEW gasket, prefferably an Eldo type one which are a bit thicker, have 'Ears' and are less prone to leakage and time it up and ride.

pete

GU06000_01.gif

Part #52 on later distributor models. I don't have a pic of the earlier Eldo gasket but if the oil was coming out of the weep hole in the points housing of the distributor it was almost certainly the shaft o-rings that had gone.

pete

Yeah I found some , 2 with ears and one without . :oops: Thanks Pete
Im a bit puzzled re the oil level . I totally drained the sump ( had to to get the dizzy clamp spacer back :evil: ) and measured the oil back in and I can only get 2.3 litres in there before it shows as full . Is this enough ? I'd be quite happy to tip in the recomended amount and edit the dip stick
Its a 74 850t , no oil filter. I have been using valvoline semi synthetic 15w 40 and was intending to change at 2000km's seeing as it only hold 2 + litres...... Id be grateful for your recomendations Pete
Thanks

FWIW, a 12 x 28 x 7 seal ($4.84 at my local bearing house) fits
nicely into the distributor housing below the lower bearing.

Presumably, somebody thought 'twas not needed, but ......

Back