• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Left stranded - Battery not getting charged?

bmacneil2008

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi,

I went for a ride yesterday on a 2009 Stelvio, 2,950 miles. All good but 1.5 hours from home the bike started stumbling, dash went nuts and I putted to a stop. I bought the bike new in 2014 as a left over, great deal, but thinking the battery was as old so I thumbed up to a NAPA dealer and bought a new battery. Installed. Bike fired right up but about half hour later same deal. So assume battery is drained and is a charging 'system' issue but reading in another forum could well be this fuse.

Sorry for the long preamble, but what causes the fuse to pop? I will check tomorrow and hope is the issue but do not want a repeat and have to carry 10 fuses with me. I have 10 watt LED aux lights so they are drawing limited power and have been on the bike with no issues for 6 months. Any advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert M.

Bike Pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71375941@N02/albums/72157646618880578

As to what caused the Fuse to blow, prime suspects are usually the Aux Lights.
Plenty of info about the issue on here and elsewhere, but basically the poorly insulated wires inside the body of the Lights chafe on the rear opening, and short out.
In your case though, with the non-OEM lights, must be something else.

The 2009 did not originally come with the problem NTX lights, though they could be added. And it does not sound like you have added them.

It is also possible that the alternator belt has failed. Or the alternator itself.

Once you confirm the fuses are all OK, get a multi meter and check the voltage on the battery.
Should be around 12 volts.
Start the bike and check voltage while revving it up to around 3000 rpm.
Voltage should go up to around 13.5 to 14 volts.
If the voltage changes, the charging system is working.

I see a 30 amp fuse under the seat but no fuses under the right side triangle plastic cover under the seat. Must be in a different location for the 09 models?

It is not a 30 amp on the pre 2012s, it is a 20 amp fuse. Not 100% where it is located on the pre 2012 (perhaps someone with one can elaborate) but it will be 2-20 amp fuses together. Should be under the seat somewhere but not 100 %. You owners manual should tell you. It is the 20 amp lighting fuse that is the one in question (supplies exciter power to the alternator).

You need to verify that this is actually your problem (if you find the fuse it will tell you). The fuse that blows is actually the main lighting fuse (runs the head lights and aux lights if you have them). On the 2012+ the aux lights blow the main lighting fuse and this drops the exciter voltage to the generator. No exciter voltage, no power generation. Your after market lights may have shorted out the fuse. Do the aux lights work??

Check the fuse, or just charge the battery enough for the bike to start. If you have lights, then it is not the exciter on the generator. There should also be a 40amp fuse for the alternator charging power. Check that one. If all the fuses check out and you are still not getting a charge (13.8V+ at idle) then you are looking at either an alternator issue or you have lost your alternator belt (or it is too loose).

Verify the status of the fuses and the charging voltage and start there. I have attached a wiring diagram for your bike in case you don't have one. I will show the 20 amp and 40 amp for the generator and what they feed.

Attachments

• Stelvio1200_4V_ABS-NTX_2010_WiringDiagram.pdf
    857.9 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for the response. I have aux lights but added months ago and are routed through the handlebar switch. They are only 10w LED's so do not think they are the issue. The bike only has 2500 miles so hoping is not the alternator. I will check all fuses today. There are some under the seat and a row under the instrument cluster. Fingers crossed :)

The 10w will not be an issue but if there is a short in the wire then it will trip the 20 amp fuse. If you had lights with the bike running (both main and aux) then it is not the fuse. Can still be the 40 amp alternator fuse so check that one just to be sure.

Failing all that you are going to looking at the alternator. Not a lot of failures that I have heard of so that is good news. May just be the belt but with only 3000 miles can't see that happening unless it is dry rotted. Vote is on the fuse at this point as it is the most likely suspect.

Good luck and let us know what u find.

While on holiday in the middle of France, I had the lights go out (during the day so did not realise until the engine died at 7.8volts). I checked the fuses & relays all ok, I had breakdown insurance which took the bike to a main dealer after 3 days they had changed a fuse and claimed it was fixed. I was very nervous the rest of the holiday and 60 miles from the port on the way home it died again. This time it was a relay, filled with water because it had not been re-fitted correctly. I still had an intermittant charge problem so searched the internet sites, one person had had similar problems and it was the regulator. The alternator is made in China with no parts available but it is similar to (or a copy of) a Nippon Denso unit. I found a regulator on line Part Number: IN254 (low cost)
Next, disconnect battery, tank off, cover off rear of alternator, replace regulator block then refit parts in reverse order.
From start to finish 30 to 45 mins and it has now been running ok for 4 months but I did buy a second regulator and carry it as a spare, just in case.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I have aux lights but added months ago and are routed through the handlebar switch. They are only 10w LED's so do not think they are the issue. The bike only has 2500 miles so hoping is not the alternator. I will check all fuses today. There are some under the seat and a row under the instrument cluster. Fingers crossed :)

Did you ever find out what the issue was with the lights?

Check the ring terminal wire connection under the rubber boot of the alternator output connector,mine was burnt badly

While on holiday in the middle of France, I had the lights go out (during the day so did not realise until the engine died at 7.8volts). I checked the fuses & relays all ok, I had breakdown insurance which took the bike to a main dealer after 3 days they had changed a fuse and claimed it was fixed. I was very nervous the rest of the holiday and 60 miles from the port on the way home it died again. This time it was a relay, filled with water because it had not been re-fitted correctly. I still had an intermittant charge problem so searched the internet sites, one person had had similar problems and it was the regulator. The alternator is made in China with no parts available but it is similar to (or a copy of) a Nippon Denso unit. I found a regulator on line Part Number: IN254 (low cost)
Next, disconnect battery, tank off, cover off rear of alternator, replace regulator block then refit parts in reverse order.
From start to finish 30 to 45 mins and it has now been running ok for 4 months but I did buy a second regulator and carry it as a spare, just in case.

Type "Regulator IN254" into ebay search, mine was from Ireland about £15.00 delivered

Back