• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lester wheels

regularguy

Just got it firing!
Has anyone fitted Lester wheels to a newer (2001) Cali fork?

I am building a mongrel. Mostly '87 SPII. Here are some of the parts collected to date.

'87 SPII bike is complete and running
pair of Lester wheels with spoked wheel bearing carriers (T3?)
2001 Cali forks and trees
Ducati 4piston calipers with correct mounting spacing for the Cali lower legs
CX 100 rotors (rotors fit the Lester bearing carriers)

I mocked up the forks. The rotors fit the wheel and are well placed with respect to the fork lowers. I would need to make brackets to adapt the calipers to fit the smaller diameter rotors. Cool vintage look.

Would modern 320mm Guzzi brake rotors fit the T3 style bearing carriers? There would be less work mounting the calipers. I may have to make spacers to locate the rotors in the center of the calipers. More efficient braking.

I have not looked into mounting the forks to the frame yet. I know that the SPII has a longer fork stem than some other Tonti bikes. I may have to modify or make a new stem for the Cali forks.

Lots of info has already been gleaned from Guzziology. There are many other details to be worked out.

This will be a long term project. I have access to machine shop equipment to make the needed parts.

Why?

I like the look of the Lester wheels.
I do not like the 16" front wheel on the SPII.
I like the "beefy" tubes on the Cali forks.
The stock Guzzi brake discs are terrible.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

I have seen 320s on the older wheels. I have an old 320 (worn thin, not fit to use) you can have to check the bolt pattern. To me the wheel spacing and what you will have to do for an axle are the trickiest. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get that old rotor going your way.

I'll save you the trouble just send those Lesters on over to my house and I'll keep safe for you. :D

John,

Thanks for the disc. I finally got a chance to fit the disc to an old disc spacer. The spacer is from a 1980's small block bike. The registration surface and the bolt circle are the same as T3. It does not line up. The modern disc carrier is much smaller in diameter than the T3 stuff. The difference is too great to try to machine to fit the new disc to the old hub. There is not enough room axially to fit an adapter as well. I did not take measurements, as I still have no access to my shop. I will be stuck in my wheelchair until at least Jan/Feb.

Silverhorse347,

It may be a long time until I can ride again, I will sit and stare at my Lesters until then. Thanks for the offer nonetheless.

Has any body fit a 320mm rotor to a T3 hub, maybe a disc from a brand-X motorcycle?

Thanks again for your help,

Craig

I replaced the cast wheels on my '81 G5 with similar vintage spoked wheel hubs rom eBay. Bearing carriers are in short supply and I ended up purching two ones. I sourced 320 mm full-floating rotors from Yoyodyne (listed as Vintage Ducati). Checek with Yoyodyne even if you don't see them on the web page. I had Buchanan's lace a set of wide Excel rims and had the rear swingarm modified by Ed M. Now running a 160 rear and 110 front dual compound tire. Replaced the F08's with four-pot brembos and Ed's adapters. Stupid cost and plenty would say I have not helped turning. Should stop nice though, and its a heck of a lot less expensive than some hobbies. I'll post photos on this forum Sunday eve as I have promised to be done with the electrical crap by then. (He said hopefully.....)

Silverhorse347 said:
I'll save you the trouble just send those Lesters on over to my house and I'll keep safe for you. :D

Here is your chance. A set of Lester wheels is on eBay. They were listed Sunday, 12-05-2010 for a seven day auction.

Regards,

Craig

If you want to keep your CX100 discs, try these adapters though Guzzitech:
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/Brakeadapt65.html or:
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/Brakeadapt.html
That would be the easy option.
If you feel like going to larger discs try researching the EBC on-line catalogs, I know the older Guzzi discs have a much larger hole than regular Japanese discs, but BMW might have something that fits or there might be other brands that I am not aware of. Another option through EBC is to order custom discs. Scroll down in their on-line catalog. I now for sure there is a page where you can name offset, diameter, bolt patern etc, fax it to them and get a quote.
JR

Greetings,

While checking out the wildguzzi forum, I saw that someone had fitted Triumph discs from Late 90's early 00's Sprint. (sorry, I don't have the link) These discs have the same bolt pattern as 70's/80's Guzzi wheels. The ID of the Triumph disc is 78mm. ID of Guzzi is 80mm. The stock Triumph brake is quite nice, with an aluminum hub and floating disc. I had the difference machined out of the Triumph discs. The discs look great on the Lester wheels. They are reasonably priced on eBay. I will post some photos when I can.

Craig

regularguy said:
Greetings,

While checking out the wildguzzi forum, I saw that someone had fitted Triumph discs from Late 90's early 00's Sprint. (sorry, I don't have the link) These discs have the same bolt pattern as 70's/80's Guzzi wheels. The ID of the Triumph disc is 78mm. ID of Guzzi is 80mm. The stock Triumph brake is quite nice, with an aluminum hub and floating disc. I had the difference machined out of the Triumph discs. The discs look great on the Lester wheels. They are reasonably priced on eBay. I will post some photos when I can.

Craig

Sounds like nice work. Please post the pictures soon I'd like to see the result.

P2120066web.jpg

P2120065web.jpg

P2120067web.jpg

This is quick work on the lathe. You need 13" swing minimum.

The mock-up has the Ducati caliper just resting on the disc. I need to work on axial spacing of the wheel in the fork. The caliper may need to be shimmed for the final fit.

Craig

Back