• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lo-Tech Guzzi Fixing

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
So, I've been reading all the tales of woe, especially by new Guzzisti, about problems with their new machines.

"Shouldn't do that." "We should demand more from Piaggio." "Moto Guzzi does R&D by selling its prototypes." Etc. Etc. :angry:

Yeah, I guess there's lots of truth to that. And, I've sure had my share of serious issues with my Norge, e.g., failed oil pump and CARC, and even with my sweet EV, e.g., fractured rocker arm at 180 miles ... it's now at 90K, btw. And minor stuff ... the list is endless. :(

On the bright side, I've gone from a guy who didn't know the difference between a Phillips head screwdriver and a torque wrench to ... OK, I'm not going to give the Orwigs, Ropers, Zibels, and Fields, et al, out there any competition, but at least I do tackle some of their table scraps. Heck, some of my neighbors think I'm a certified wrench ... which, of course, shows that they are certifiable in a different sense. :laugh:

Seriously, I have learned lots -- mostly from them! -- and it's fun to putz in the garage. And there is something indescribably fine about and hearing and feeling a Guzzi on a fine back road. It's that "skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it" that T.E. Lawrence described so vividly. :)

So, as a bit of an example of both items -- things wrong and much in our reach if we care -- the other day, after muttering about the millionth time about the broke-richard brake-and-taillight assembly on my EV, I decided to do something about it. Now, bear in mind I have a complete spare up in the garage's loft. But, I've given the EV to my brother who will start riding it as soon as he stops dropping the Suzuki 450 he's practicing in the parking lots on [its tags expired in Mar 1994, but that's another story!]. So, I may want to wait a year or so before swapping out the old for new rig.

But, in the meantime, with pert jugs up front, that sag in the back has to go. I recall that some folks have drilled holes and run a steel rod through the mass, basically making a light and signal shish kabob. But that sounds like work to me, so I struck upon an easier fix. Some of you may think that my last word -- "fix" -- is, possibly, debatable after you see the pix, but I'm happy. My solution is cheap (already had parts), quick and easy (about 30 secs per side, at most), and even is shock resistant. OK, perhaps it's not elegant and sightly, but it no longer sags. Works for me.

The pix? Here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

Bill

That's right Bill!

A real expert solution.

May I show my solution to mount a power outlet here in your thread?

Please?

2914861811_97ee8bb332.jpg

:woohoo:

So Bill, what exactly is it with this newbie,and new Guzzisti stuff? I've ridden lots of Motorbikes in my day, worked on a lot of them once upon a time in driveways, garages ect. Is there a secret handshake, decoder ring or something. This isn't the first time I've seen this kind of patronization on here. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, just not on motorbikes( I like to get paid 365 days a year, in Canada with half a years riding that's an issue sometimes). I've worked on piston engines in that time as well as gas turbines, and yeah I know a thing or two about camshafts, bearings, electrics, electronic instruments,logic controlled systems,hydraulics,pneumatics, ect.ect. So what pray tell is so hard about installing good bearings or decent cams in an engine that we should all be so understanding about?? I have always liked Italian bikes and always wanted one. Same with the other 'New Guzzisti' I know with them. We have all paid hard for the "privelege" of owning one, but we are all old enough and wise enough no matter what our field of expertise to know that building a bike engine of 1200cc that puts out a blistering 105 alleged hp at the crank ( sarcasm absolutely intentional), that won't eat camshafts in 1000 km, fuel pipes that drop off pumps ect. ect. is not Rocket Science. Oh and then add Dealers and a factory that don't give a shit. Yeah I understand why people get pissed from time to time and maybe say screw this caper I'm buying xxx. So come on, gimme ( all of us actually, who bought their first Guzzi) a break! Keep the Newbie stuff. 'Cause quite frankly, to quote Groucho Marx... " I'd never be a member of a club that would have me."
Rant Over.

Let me start by saying that I really don't disagree with anything you have said, and, perhaps inconsistently, neither do I find hard to reconcile your view with mine. :S

That said, my (slightly strange) background makes me far more forgiving of Guzzi foibles than you.

I've posted some of this here "before the crash(es)," so I'll not repeat much. And, I'll save the long story for a beer sometime. If you get this way (Atlanta ... make it spring or fall; so fine), I can make sure you have enough beer and Guzzi time in the Georgia and nearby other state mountains to make the trip worthwhile), I'll spare no detail then, but the short version now is something like this.

I was in the Army. Assigned to Italy in '77. Very disappointed with those orders. Almost disgusted. But, oh well. Yes, Sir; happy to go, Sir. And was I wrong about Italy. Not only was my work challenging, Italy changed me, the young man. For the better. Again, more (tho you would soon scream for mercy! ;) ) over bourbon or beer.

Since then, I am a sucker for everything Italian. As for Guzzis, I worked with the Italian Carabinieri for three years. Loved 'em. Every country has its bubbas; I grew up with bubbas; God bless 'em all (well, most of 'em; and lots of Italian bubbas find themselves in the Carabinieri. [I am not mocking that force, btw; very impressive military force, especially in so special units]

Anyway, they let me ride their Guzzis now and then.

I am telling you that so you understand that I cannot separate that Italian experience from my passion for Guzzis. I actually talk folks out of buying Guzzis if I don't think they "fit," and I don't mean ergos.

So, please know I wasn't intentionally patronizing you or anyone else. I can't speak for other Guzzisti, but I'll always be one. Italy, Italians, and Guzzis aren't perfect, but for me they are part of the pursuit of happiness ... with occasional breakdowns. :p

I completely understand if that price is too high for others. I'll pay it and keep paying it.

As soon as a Tenni gets here, there'll be one in the GarageMahalo.

Warm regards,

Bill

FrostBittenCanadian wrote:
So Bill, what exactly is it with this newbie,and new Guzzisti stuff? I've ridden lots of Motorbikes in my day, worked on a lot of them once upon a time in driveways, garages ect. Is there a secret handshake, decoder ring or something. This isn't the first time I've seen this kind of patronization on here. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, just not on motorbikes( I like to get paid 365 days a year, in Canada with half a years riding that's an issue sometimes). I've worked on piston engines in that time as well as gas turbines, and yeah I know a thing or two about camshafts, bearings, electrics, electronic instruments,logic controlled systems,hydraulics,pneumatics, ect.ect. So what pray tell is so hard about installing good bearings or decent cams in an engine that we should all be so understanding about?? I have always liked Italian bikes and always wanted one. Same with the other 'New Guzzisti' I know with them. We have all paid hard for the "privelege" of owning one, but we are all old enough and wise enough no matter what our field of expertise to know that building a bike engine of 1200cc that puts out a blistering 105 alleged hp at the crank ( sarcasm absolutely intentional), that won't eat camshafts in 1000 km, fuel pipes that drop off pumps ect. ect. is not Rocket Science. Oh and then add Dealers and a factory that don't give a shit. Yeah I understand why people get pissed from time to time and maybe say screw this caper I'm buying xxx. So come on, gimme ( all of us actually, who bought their first Guzzi) a break! Keep the Newbie stuff. 'Cause quite frankly, to quote Groucho Marx... " I'd never be a member of a club that would have me."
Rant Over.

Bill: No harm done, bourbon it is! I'm trying, but factory/ dealers are making it hard( I hope they read this forum, they'd be dumb not to!) It's the 21st century for chrissake. I'm supposed to have rocket boots, a flying car, a lazer gun, live in a floating city ect. at least thats what Popular Science told me when I was 8.LOL
FBC

I met a man today sitting in Ferracci's. He had a strange look of contentment, he was having a small service done on his Lemans. I talked briefly with him and he smiled softly when he talked of his bike, it needed shoes in the rear, second set in I gues about six or seven years?

I'd like to one day have this look on my face. I think there needs to be history between a bike and the guy who owns it. I think some of that is in your story Bill?

It's sort of odd... I wanted an 8v griso and in black but I bought a 4v and in red. I can NOW buy the 8v for my bike and 2 grand cash. That's a new 8v for only two thousand and my bike and it would be the black I had first wanted. I stood in front of the black Griso and looked at it and again looked but I didn't want it anymore. I wanted my bike in the red, the one I was having a fit to have serviced.

History in the making...

vivo

Hey Bill,

I am like you.....I will wrench up to a point, and then turn it over to the real experts. I like to see what other guys have done....even the new guys....ya never know who will have the good Idea....I mean I never would have thought to get a cute blond to follow me with the license plate light.....

Does she charge much......are they unionized...?????

Bill's tract below is one of the three reasons I'm putting in the effort on my 8000km Breva which has been "in the shop" six times so far for about ten different things, and now needs to go back again (see small block category for my plantive whinings). I learned how to "sync the throttle bodies" yesterday, own a VDST and get to buy shiny new tools. I'm even considering one of those levitating tables to put the bike on to save my back. Every time it fails, I learn something new. Though if I hadn't found a great mechanic an hour's drive away, this would be a radically different story.

Reason two is that I really LIKE riding the bike. It's got character. Exhaust farts and all.

Number three is that I tend to do long day trips alone. But somehow never lack for people to talk to. The bike can draw a crowd. If I was still single, the bike would have got me laid by now.

Bill Hagan wrote:
On the bright side, I've gone from a guy who didn't know the difference between a Phillips head screwdriver and a torque wrench to ... OK, I'm not going to give the Orwigs, Ropers, Zibels, and Fields, et al, out there any competition, but at least I do tackle some of their table scraps. Heck, some of my neighbors think I'm a certified wrench ... which, of course, shows that they are certifiable in a different sense. :laugh:

Hi All.
Holt, what is the plastic hook thing for, to the right of the power socket ?
Take Care Out There

FLAY.
Helpful Hint, locate the rear brake pedal lock bolt, carefully hidden behind the lower aluminium side plate, if it is still tight, then locktite the bugger now, so it doesn't vibrate loose, allowing the pedal to back up and close the rear brake.

That gem cost me $ 130.

Take Care Out There

PS Check "freewebs.com/motoguzzimomma" and read the section called "Bike Burps "

motoguzziman wrote:
Hi All.
Holt, what is the plastic hook thing for, to the right of the power socket ?
Take Care Out There

KTM Handguard.
Makes sure your hands gets really hot in the summertime. :dry:

Back