• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Loctite, which one?

NPS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I would be grateful for some views on what strength of loctite is needed for engine reassembly. There are low strength and high strength options.

For instance the flywheel bolts, oil pump and clutch housing all use loctite. Is it the same strength in each case?

There are four types actually - in order of strength - Green, Purple, Blue and Red.

I avoid Red for most everything except things like engine cylinder studs - things I know are going to be permanent unless there is some sort of catastrophic failure requiring an unexpected tear-down or major overhaul. If it is a part that I expect to replace or renew in the future, then I never use Red - I use Blue, and it has never failed me ever. I have never experienced the loosening of a bolt I tightened with Blue Locktite.

Unfortunately, I have had a fair share of bolts that people assembled with liberal amounts of Red on them, and it has been an exercise in frustration and damage control, to remove those bolts safely when Blue would have been just fine.

My rule of thumb with regard to Red is: Assume this is going to be a permanent bolt that if you ever want to disassemble, it will require both large amounts of heat and effort! Also, the adage "Less is More" applies to application of Red Loctite. This stuff is STRONG and you can fuse a bolt into place with it where the bolt literally shears off when trying to remove it!

In honesty, I've seen Red called for on brake caliper bolts, and oil pumps, but if you look at the Technical Specifications Sheets, both Red and Blue have the same retained % of original holding capacity in the presence of oil and I've yet to encounter a brake caliper bolt at 650ºF. Unfortunately, removing calipers in order to facilitate wheel removal and tire changing, occurs fairly often (~ 6k miles) so I'd hardly call those bolts "permanent" and I for one don't want them behaving that way when I have to remove them. I personally have never used Red for any of these applications, I used Blue and have had no problems. You have to use your own judgement though.

For 99% of my applications requiring a thread-locker, I have always used Blue Loctite very successfully. In fact, my V10-Centauro manual from the Moto Guzzi factory calls for Blue on the flywheel bolts to the engine! Those are stressed bolts for sure!

Purple is like Blue but for lower temperature applications and fine machine threads.

Green is for delicate applications.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Green Threadlocker - Low Strength, Wicking Grade Threadlocker for Pre-assembled Fasteners

Green color, removable with heat and hand tools, for preassembled fasteners, instrumentation screws, electrical connectors, carburetors and fasteners.

Features:

• Used for wicking applications.
  • The optimum temperature range is -65ºF to 300ºF
  • Easy removal
  • Ideal for small screws
  • Pre-assemble

Purple Threadlocker - Low Strength, Easily Removable Threadlocker for Small Threads

Purple Threadlocker prevents loosening from shock or vibration, but also allows for simple, hand-tool disassembly without shearing the screw.

Features:
  • Low strength
  • Easy to remove liquid threadlocker
  • Typically used with small screws up to 1/4".
  • The optimum temperature range is -65º F to 300º F.

Blue Threadlocker - Medium Strength, Removable Threadlocker

Fill spaces between threads to produce a secure one-piece assembly that will not loosen under stress, but can be removed with hand tools.

Features:

• Removable with standard hand tools on ¼ to ¾ fasteners.
  • Available in liquid, stick, paste, gel and tape form.
  • Fast fixture times.
  • Optimum temperature range is range -65ºF to 650ºF.

Red Threadlocker - High Strength, High Temperature Threadlocker

Permanently lock and seal threaded fasteners up to one-inch in diameter. Red LOCTITE Threadlockers are designed for high strength and high temperature applications.

Features:

• Designed to deliver high strength on ¼ " to ¾ " (6 mm to 22 mm) fasteners
  • Optimum temperature range is -65ºF to 550ºF
  • Disassembling requires localized heat (>550°F/260°C), hand tools, and disassembly while hot

Last edited:
Every time I run across someplace where someone used Red when it should have been Blue that person is normally referred to as anything but a child of God and much cursing and heat follows. Like Scott I use blue quite a bit and it really doesn't take a lot.

Check the factory manual. If it calls for thread locker use anything but red (except maybe for cylinder studs). Every engine I've disassembled has not had any thread locking compound applied at the factory, but I haven't disassembled a Breva engine yet. I've only found thread locking compound on brake rotor bolts. Currently I have to replace the pan screws for a MkV Lemans. I've only been able to find stainless steel screws of the correct size that won't rust. Those will be installed with an anti-seize compound. If you use loctite on threads that will act as a lubricant on install and change fastener stretch at the torque value applied. If no thread locking compound is used, applying the correct torque will prevent fasteners from coming loose.

Would you believe me that I have just found red used in the CARC bolts holding the case together. They were quite easy to remove as the stuff was in a narrow band. Perhaps this is a different brand of red with lower strength.

Back