• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looking to purchase a '04 1100 ev Cal please help

Scottcc

Tuned and Synch'ed
I never owned a MG before but I need a bike for 2 up. I found a '04 Cal EV 1100 for $ 6000 US. I have never owned a bike of this size nor am I familiar with MG motorcycles. This bike has less than 13,000 miles on the odometer It has windshield and hard saddle bags. I would not consider buying a bike if this type but my wife wants to start riding with me. My question, is this bike a good choice? I was approved for a loan to get a new $20,000 Harley but I don't want to spend that amount. What can expect as far as maintenance, fuel mileage, handling, and comfort?

Guzzi's are a totally different breed. Many people who ride one for the 1rst time seem a bit disappointed especially if they are used to Japanese bikes. I'm not knocking Jap bikes they have proven themselves over the years but they have never been my "cup 'o tea". I've been on Guzzi's since the very early 70's and for me there is no other bike.

Yes it will do fine for two up riding. About 35 to 40 mpg. Oil changes for maintenance. If you are a decent wrench you can do most any repair yourself, that's one of the beauties of a Guzzi. If you're not a wrench and there is not a Guzzi dealer with a trained mechanic around your area you may want to consider a different brand. They don't hardly break down but when they do can be expensive to fix.

I have to ask:
What have you been riding?
Do you feel you need a cruiser for 2 up riding?
You riding distance or just weekend hot shots for a few miles?

Tell me if I'm wrong but I'd guess you have only been riding a few years (5 on the outside) & probably crotch rockets. If this is true the transition to a bigger, heavier bike with a passenger is gonna take some time. You will really need to spend some solo time and possibly re-learn how to ride. Light sport bikes can make you feel like a star but they don't usually breed good riders. Quick acceleration, fast stopping, light weight bikes can build a false sense of security & self confidence that really only comes from years of riding. I'm not trying to be judge mental just want safe happy riders. Know what you are getting into before "hitting" the pavement.

Guzzi's are great, just not for everyone.

What Trout said. About the only weak link on that bike is the speedometer unit. If it should fail, there are alternatives for an electronic unit you can find on this forum in the Tonti and Loop section.

I just got back from test riding the Guzzi. I am impressed, I really liked the ride. I have ridden motorcycles for 16 years, I have owned 4 I currently have a 2001 Triumph Sprint RS, I just sold a 2008 Suzuki DRZ400sm, I bit my teeth on a 82 Honda 450 Nighthawk and a 80 CX500. I had rode different bikes here and there, but this was the first experience with a bigger bike and I really enjoyed the ride. It might be my bike tomorrow, just have to talk to my wife and see how she will like riding on the back. Thank you, for the replies.

I stand corrected & I am so glad you enjoyed the Guzzi. I must warn you that they are habit forming & really hope that your wife likes it. Looking forward to a new Guzzi rider.

Hey I loved my V11EV. Before it, I had a California 1100i. They are wonderful traveling bikes with just the right amount of unique character.

Like mentioned in an earlier post. Mine toasted a tach but not a speedo. I just kept it according to Guzzi's suggested specifications, and rode the snot out of it. Basic service and maintenance is EASY on this motorcycle so lots less $ needs to be spent at the dealer. Great engine, great brakes, tow/heal shifter...well, you rode it and it smote you. It will your wife as well. They are great 2 up motorcycles.

Best wishes!

Scott

V11EVV10Centauro.jpg

Trout said:
I stand corrected & I am so glad you enjoyed the Guzzi. I must warn you that they are habit forming & really hope that your wife likes it. Looking forward to a new Guzzi rider.

Are you saying they can multiply in the garage?

john zibell said:
What Trout said. About the only weak link on that bike is the speedometer unit. If it should fail, there are alternatives for an electronic unit you can find on this forum in the Tonti and Loop section.

Yep the speedo has been replaced on this already, which has me concerned over actual mileage. Not a deal breaker at this point but the bike has been weathered. I am going to post a picture soon to ask what you all think.

Scottcc said:
Are you saying they can multiply in the garage?

Not exactly, but they do tend to nag at you to bring one of their relatives home so that they have somebody to speak Italian to when your not riding them. (Hence, my photo above in my backyard in San Diego) :lol:

Truly, if it is in great shape with the low miles you described, then it's a lot of motorcycle for $6k (and you might get it cheaper with a little haggling!)

Looking forward to the pictures!

I only have the dealer's picture for now. I like the color and the styling is growing on me, it was a fun test ride. You can't see the weathering from the distance in this pic, but there is slight rust staining around the spokes and various chrome pieces, I wish I had taken pictures while I was there. $5995 is the asking price. I am imagining a weekend scenic ride with the wife and she is close to getting me the OK. I think tomorrow it will be in the garage or at least a sold tag on it.

Attachments

• 2004 Moto Guzzi.jpg
    2004 Moto Guzzi.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 376
You're hooked. It's yours. I see a V7 in the future. (There is rabbit blood in the frame.) I'm looking at a 73 El Dorado to keep the T's and the Cali entertained, I hear GrandPa tells some good stories....

Scotcc,

I recommend you ride a newer Guzzi, a Breva 1100 or Norge. New or low mileage '07 Brevas are still available for about the same price. I prefer the handling in the newer models and your still sitting upright. But if the Cali/EV look is your thing, go for it. I find the Cali foot controls to be a bit uncomfortable. Seems to me they are designed for shorter riders. Heck, once the EV is in the garage, you may feel sorry for it and get it some company - 3 guzzis would still be cheaper than one new HD. Some Guzzi two up riders like the extra torque of a HD when pulling a trailer with the bike fully loaded. You should be fine on the EV.

good luck

My wife loved it, we put money to hold it looks like it will be in the garage this weekend.
photobucket-37900-1339022153669.jpg

you can see the light rust stains on the spokes
photobucket-20532-1339022074914.jpg

And some paint damage on the tank
photobucket-33842-1339022110511.jpg

It is a great ride for us both but I wanted this bike so bad. I was trying to talk my wife into letting me buy both.
photobucket-18309-1339022222125.jpg

2002 Stone has 2200 miles and $5850 too bad it isn't as good as the EV for 2 up.
photobucket-18205-1339022187050.jpg

Thanks all for help with info on Guzzis. Looks like there will be a Guzzi gathering in VA soon, my wife and I are considering plans to go.

I am now the owner of a blue EV, I had a smile the whole trip home. It's going to take some getting used to but that is what makes motorcycling fun. The dealer cleaned, deatailed and adjusted the bike for 2up, it looks a lot better. Thanks for the help I will be hanging around for a while.

Congrats! Welcome to the Wonderful World of Moto Guzzi. You do realize of course, the infection is permanant? :lol:

Back