• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looks interesting...

Like?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very nice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I do not own a Cali 1400 (wouldn't mind one though :)), but check out what Venier Customs is up to. Both links show them doing surgery on a Cali 1400. Looks pretty awesome. I like that they are getting rid of the plastic, check out the new fenders, etc., which look like aluminum. I'm sure they are going to shed some weight in the process. Imagine that type of Cali combined with Todd's mods. Ouch! Yes, it's not making it a cruiser anymore, but that's obvious.

http://instagram.com/p/qo3fwCvW9N/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/p1suwtPW_9/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/nJvYnPvW1q/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/nB6hNRvWy4/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/m_qRQdvWw6/?modal=true

http://www.pinterest.com/veniercustoms/ny-builds-november-2013/

That fender is going to make life rough for the oil cooler. I'll reserve judgement til I see finished product. Maybe but so far , meh......

Fenders are already plastic. Wondering aloud if plastic is lighter than aluminium (aluminum)?

I'm not sure I follow you...what do you mean by "fenders are already plastic"...? Yes they are, and it looks like they are making metal ones, probably aluminum from the looks. The plastic could be lighter, but not by much. Plus, rather have metal fenders. I've seen the cali 1400 in person and that's one area, including the v7, where they did wrong. The fenders should be metal. I get that plastic is on a lot of bikes, especially the sport bikes, but the flimsy shit on the v7 is a joke, and any bike that has a classic, retro vibe going should not have plastic as far as the tank, fenders, side panels, and other bits are concerned, sorry.

I'm not sure I follow you...what do you mean by "fenders are already plastic"...? Yes they are, and it looks like they are making metal ones, probably aluminum from the looks. The plastic could be lighter, but not by much. Plus, rather have metal fenders. I've seen the cali 1400 in person and that's one area, including the v7, where they did wrong. The fenders should be metal. I get that plastic is on a lot of bikes, especially the sport bikes, but the flimsy shit on the v7 is a joke, and any bike that has a classic, retro vibe going should not have plastic as far as the tank, fenders, side panels, and other bits are concerned, sorry.

Well then be prepared for the bike to be even heavier. Although plastic guards are new to me with my Cali 1400 Custom, I've had no issues.

Also, I've lived with plastic tanks on my Brevas, Norge, and 1200 Sports, again with no issues for eight or nine years. The tank on the 1400 is steel, probably because of the design of the wings.

Well then be prepared for the bike to be even heavier. Although plastic guards are new to me with my Cali 1400 Custom, I've had no issues.

Also, I've lived with plastic tanks on my Brevas, Norge, and 1200 Sports, again with no issues for eight or nine years. The tank on the 1400 is steel, probably because of the design of the wings.

Ok, I got ya. Perhaps they will be heavier, though I doubt it, but looks like they are making them much slimmer and shorter so they probably won't be heavier as a result. Either way, those parts are somewhat negligent as far as weight savings. I'm sure the finished bike will be at least somewhat, if not much, lighter than stock. Should be interesting to see the final product.

The Breva, Norge, and 1200 sport aren't really classic, retro bikes in my opinion. It's retro styled bikes with plastic that annoys me. I don't have a clear, concise explanation as to why it annoys me, it's just something that doesn't feel right. It feels cheap. I'm not arguing about the integrity of plastic, or the functionality of it. I'm commenting purely on aesthetics. The Cali 1400 is a cruiser that is in the Indian, Harley, etc. niche. No big plastic parts on those as far as I know

Last edited:
Back