• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Loud whining/whirring in 1st...stuck in gear

0Dogg

Just got it firing!
So I, of the repeating gear lever issues, encountered another problem today on the way to lunch.

As I downshifted at a stop sign, I thought to myself that the approaching car sounded awful and needed to have its belts looked at. To my dismay, I realized that the awful noise was coming from my 2011 V7R.

I was able to shift out of it at that point, but at the next stop, I heard the same noise and I wasn't able to shift out of 1st for a moment...it eventually worked itself out and I was able to shift back. I should note that the bike was in gear and accelerating, but just making an awful noise and I couldn't shift up for a moment.

After a couple attempts to recreate the issue, all seems normal again.

My question is two-fold...

1. Anyone else experience this issue?

2. Here is a photo of the lever pin/shift lever on my bike. For lack of a better description, it just looks wrong to me. Dirty, for one thing...which seems counter to the fit and finish of the rest of the bike. But also the washer/gasket? looks warped. Am I overreacting here? If possible, I would be obliged if someone would post a picture of theirs so I can compare.

Thanks!

20160915 124855 resized 20160915 124847 resized 20160915 124841 resized

Not normal & I have not seen or heard of another Guzzi doing that.

Bear in mind that is only a support for the shaft/lever & would not directly cause a "belt slipping" type of noise.
However if it is worn enuf it may not be allowing the trans to shift properly & get the gears to fully mesh.
That would normally be a grinding sound rather than a screeching belt sound.

It could make shifting difficult if the bushing inside is worn (or the shaft is worn) & causing slop or linkage to bind.
There should be no play or wiggle in the shaft, it should rotate freely.

I'm not that familiar with the V7R & can't visualize what the shaft is connecting to on the other side (trans side) of the mount.
If possible I would try to disconnect all linkage on both the shifter side & the trans side then wiggle the shaft to see how much play it has.
It is probably a bushing inside the housing rather than a bearing & may be possible to have a machine shop turn a new one.

Honestly, the sound caught me off guard, so I may not be describing it very well...it certainly wasn't as high pitched as belt slippage...maybe like a really powerful leaf blower? That might be more accurate.

Also, if it is of any help...here is a youtube link to the amount of movement in the lever pin/shift lever.

I don't have a V7, so keep that in mind.
I am pretty sure that washer is bent like that on purpose.
The shift shaft typically has a set of levers on it that spin the shift drum in one direction or the other. If the shift drum is rotated partially so that it is partially in one gear and not out of the other it can make some disturbing noises. It could be the the shift linkage was binding and sticking, that can make some funny noises. That is not an uncommon issue with any bike. Some bikes, especially Italian bikes, also have a bad habit of having false neutrals between gears other than 1st and 2nd.
Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope it does.

I don't have a V7, so keep that in mind.
I am pretty sure that washer is bent like that on purpose.
The shift shaft typically has a set of levers on it that spin the shift drum in one direction or the other. If the shift drum is rotated partially so that it is partially in one gear and not out of the other it can make some disturbing noises. It could be the the shift linkage was binding and sticking, that can make some funny noises. That is not an uncommon issue with any bike. Some bikes, especially Italian bikes, also have a bad habit of having false neutrals between gears other than 1st and 2nd.
Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope it does.

Well, it makes me a feel a little better anyway...so that helps! Haha. I am hoping that it was an anomaly and won't present itself again.

Just a little frustrating because I've been having issues with the same general area of the bike, so hopefully I'm just overreacting.

Last edited:
GuzziMoto is correct. That is a wave washer & is designed to keep some tension on the shaft so it does not move back & forth easily.

At the end of the video it looked to me like the shaft had some up & down play & that could cause shift problems & what I was refering to in my other post. If it was me I'd disconnect the linkage & check for up & down play.

I agree with Vagrant about changing trans oil & looking for metal shavings.

GuzziMoto is correct. That is a wave washer & is designed to keep some tension on the shaft so it does not move back & forth easily.

At the end of the video it looked to me like the shaft had some up & down play & that could cause shift problems & what I was refering to in my other post. If it was me I'd disconnect the linkage & check for up & down play.

I agree with Vagrant about changing trans oil & looking for metal shavings.

Thanks, Trout. I will do as instructed and report back! Hopefully this will help someone else down the road!

Back