• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lower the pegs or raise the seat?

toma nova

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Or both?

I'm 6'3" with long arms and legs and need more legroom.

I'm eyeing the new rubber lowered footpegs since my boots slip off the pegs and I'd like to reduce the buzz. I don't mind switching to the Euro side stand (swap anyone?) but am concerned about interference of the center stand - any experience with lowered pegs and a centerstand where the rubber stopper has been cut in half?

Regarding the seat, I would like something that is wider, flatter, more firm, and allows more front to back movement. A passenger backrest would be a nice add since I don't like the look of a topcase on the 12S (although I love the convenience of a topcase vs. bags). An inch taller may get my helmet into cleaner air also.

Any input is welcome to point me in the right direction or validate my purchases!

Thanks,
Tom

I used the raised seat option. In your case I think 3 to 4 inches would do it. For me just 2 inches did the trick (old hips and the stock seat was too soft). I used Sargent in Florida to do the work. They use a high density foam that doesn't break down like the stock foam. With the seat option, you change one item. With the lower pegs option you also have to fiddle with the shifter and brake lever to get the correct ergonomics.

john zibell said:
With the lower pegs option you also have to fiddle with the shifter and brake lever to get the correct ergonomics.
And there may not be enough adjustment. With the pegs in the stock position, your foot also rests on the hinged portion attached to the frame. With lowering pegs, your feet are pushed away from the frame and, depending on the size of your feet, the pegs may not be long enough anymore. I'm not saying don't do it. Just an FYI. I tried on one bike and was disappointed and went back to stock.

I own an '07 Breva 1100. I have a Corbin seat that I picked up (barely) used. The original owner said it was ordered with more padding. It definitely sits me up higher than the stock seat and I sit further back with it. I've been watching ebay for a Corbin backrest for the seat for those times that I don't want the hard luggage on it.

I'm around 6'1" and the Corbin is great for my bad knees.

I have a tall Parabellum windshield on my bike. With the Corbin, I look over the shield. The other day, I dug out my factory, low gel seat so that another Breva owner could borrow it for a long test ride to a rally a few states away. I put it on my bike and found that I was looking through the shield a few inches below the top. I was amazed at how cramped the seating position felt for my legs. The handlebars felt much taller also.

I really like the feel of my bike with the Corbin seat on it. It is much more comfortable and just feels right.

I bought a set of adjustable footpegs not long after getting my Breva. I didn't find out about the sidestand clearance issues untill after I ordered them. I had thought about getting the Euro sidestand so that I could use them but now I don't think I'll bother with them.

Tall guy with a Griso here. I acquired a set of Knight design lowered pegs but haven't put them on yet for the reasons discussed above. I have an appointment with a seatmaker in Kingston, NY to discuss exactly what you propose. Sargent and Corbin are the best known but I wanted someone close in case I wanted modifications to the finished product.

http://www.pirateupholstery.com/

I raised the seat when I had Russell Day-Long make my new seat - while I was at it, I also had heat (separate for rider and passenger!) added. The grey leather and black sides worked very well on my silver bike.

Im constantly surprised by people that buy a particular bike that clearly doesnt really fit them and then compromise the original design and dynamics by significant changes instead of buying something that fits them in the first place.
I see one suggestion for a raise of 3-4 inches in seat height/thickness!...really
Sports bikes lowered by inches so you can get your feet down......crazy stuff. Just accept it doesnt fit you that well and buy something that does or learn to adapt.
I'm 6'2" tall and 54 years old,have 3 crushed vertabre in my back a plated wrist and trashed collarbone and neck issues but when I get on my Ducati 1198 or GSXR1000 track bike I accept the demands made on me to get the performance.
If i need comfort I use the ST2 or V11. If i could have only 1 bike I would go on the comfort end of the scale for sure but I wouldnt ruin a cutting edge sports bikes dynamics or pad a seat by 4 inches because I couldnt compromise.
My suggestion for those with stiff joints and injuries age etc is to eat well and get to the gym for some strength work and some yoga for flexability before the wholesale bike mods or buy something that fits you.
Its the demands a bike you love makes on you that keeps you younger than your years and enhances the rewards you get from ownership. I think if you need to make radical changes to a bike so it fits you then you just dont "get it".
Ciao

lucky phil said:
Im constantly surprised by people that buy a particular bike that clearly doesnt really fit them and then compromise the original design and dynamics by significant changes instead of buying something that fits them in the first place.
I see one suggestion for a raise of 3-4 inches in seat height/thickness!...really
Sports bikes lowered by inches so you can get your feet down......crazy stuff. Just accept it doesnt fit you that well and buy something that does or learn to adapt.
I'm 6'2" tall and 54 years old,have 3 crushed vertabre in my back a plated wrist and trashed collarbone and neck issues but when I get on my Ducati 1198 or GSXR1000 track bike I accept the demands made on me to get the performance.
If i need comfort I use the ST2 or V11. If i could have only 1 bike I would go on the comfort end of the scale for sure but I wouldnt ruin a cutting edge sports bikes dynamics or pad a seat by 4 inches because I couldnt compromise.
My suggestion for those with stiff joints and injuries age etc is to eat well and get to the gym for some strength work and some yoga for flexability before the wholesale bike mods or buy something that fits you.
Its the demands a bike you love makes on you that keeps you younger than your years and enhances the rewards you get from ownership. I think if you need to make radical changes to a bike so it fits you then you just dont "get it".
Ciao

Wow.

lucky phil said:
Ciao

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm trying to get a little leg room and a wider, flatter seat (and maybe 1" taller), not changing rake and trail and anything else dramatic.

With only one bike, I'm looking for 500+ mile day comfort on the knees and butt and a little less buffeting. And I'll still take on a track day or two.

Tom

Tom, in what general area are you located? There might be a Guzzi owner near to you that has modded fotpegs or a modded seat you could check out.

lucky phil said:

I'm not - well, not any more - at least with guzzi. The crazy mod example I love most is a '74 Eldo with short H-D shocks and chopped rear frame. The bike has well over half a million miles on it with most put on after the mods.

When you gotta have a GUZZI - you gotta have it - what ever it takes!

I've had a Russell Seat on many bikes and the combination of the Russell seat, heli bars, and a Aero flow BMW K 1200 RS windshield gave me the 500 mile comfort I wanted. The shield I already had from a 97 K 1200 RS... It fits the Norge lines perfectly ... it does require making four new holes. I was going to call the Aero flow guy and let him know he has a near perfect touring shield for a Norge already... just change the holes!!

I am 6 feet with long legs and a injured knee (62). The Norge is so much more enjoyable now.

toma nova said:
With only one bike, I'm looking for 500+ mile day comfort on the knees and butt and a little less buffeting. And I'll still take on a track day or two.
If you're going to do track days, or if you like tilting the horizon in the canyons, stay with the stock pegs. Otherwise you may find yourself wanting for ground clearance.

At 6'3" you probably won't find many bikes designed for your dimensions. I think it's perfectly reasonable to tweak things until the bike suits you.

I used to be 6' 1" when I owned my '81 CX100 Le Mans.

I opted to raise the seat almost 2" with a Corbin, and I raised the pegs 3/4" as I was constantly scrubbing the bottom of the footpegs when riding. Especially at the special events at Grattan.

Got out of cycling for many years until wife bought me the Nevada Classic 2 years ago.

Time has taken away an inch + from my height. But the seat was too low for me.

I bought the foam last year and modified my own seat! There's a thread here somewhere still, I believe.

It's your bike. Do what ya want!
I get more "Cools" and "slick ideas" about the mods I'vedone to my bikes over the years.
Go for it.

Chris

i've got lowered pegs with the rubber tops for sale. I also have a modified sidestand. $100 plus shipping/trade for stock stand. it was only on the bike for one day. I guess my legs aren't as long as I thought they were.

fastfreddy said:
i've got lowered pegs with the rubber tops for sale. I also have a modified sidestand. $100 plus shipping/trade for stock stand. it was only on the bike for one day. I guess my legs aren't as long as I thought they were.

I'm interested. PM sent.

I did a little of both. Got the seat altered by Rick Meyer; very comfortable, more flat to keep from sliding into the tank and firmer padding for more distance comfort.

Secondly, I replaced my pegs with ones from a Goldwing 1800 (any year 1800 'Wing should do). Gained about an inch drop which helped quite a bit on the knee angle but did take away extreme cornering angle on the bike. Wider, longer and nice thick rubber to cushion the vibes and very comfortable. A couple of pics:

Did require some grinding on the side stand and a small bead of weld to keep the stand from bumping up against the peg and vibrating.

Hope this helps!

I decided to raise the seat on my B12S by 1.5" and am very happy with the work done by Sargent. The seat looks good and it is very comfortable.

P1110339_zps441958c1.jpg

I totally agree with Francis, buy a bike that fits.
Having said that, I've got a longer rear shock and altered the seat dramatically.
I've changed handlebars and risers/yokes, modified front brakes & forks and raised them, and hope to change my 18" front spoked wheel for a 17" BST.

I bought the engine I like, everything else is open to interpretation. I like to be different. :silly:

Back