• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Luckiest new member in awhile?

JStorm

Just got it firing!
Painesville, Ohio, United States of America (the)
Greetings fellow Guzzistas, my name is Jay and I am happy to be a part of the Family! I recently picked up a 2023 v7 Stone Special Edition from Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati, Ohio and how I came to own this bike is a bit of a story I'm happy to share.

Last summer my son bought a 17 v9 Bobber from a local dealership about an hour from his house. I went with him for moral support and bring his truck home after the sale. I liked the bike and took it for a quick spin in the parking lot just because. Very cool bike that will suit him well for a first street machine. He was still on his temporary permit for the license endorsement so I figured we were either going to load it in the truck or he would ride home carefully while I followed. Nope.....he didn't want to risk the freeway trip and asked me if I would mind riding it home for him. I had brought gloves but no helmet. He offered his helmet but I declined. Ive had my endorsement for decades although it had been probably 15years since I've owned a bike. I took another lap in the parking lot and we set off. Immediately a spark had reignited in me that had been suppressed for a long time. The bike rode great, had character in its V twin vibration, mechanical song of the valvetrain and gearbox. I really enjoyed shaking off some cobwebs on that ride. He was pretty excited to see me back on a bike too....looking back, I think he might have done this on purpose! Anyway, shortly after this, I enrolled in a rider safety course with him...for moral support and to spend some time doing something fun together. Within a month or 3 I bought a GoldWing to go ride with him, which we did. I figured the wing would be good at my middle age and grey beard, ha ha. Plus, riding with my better half would be more comfortable. Her only stipulation upon catching me looking at bikes on marketplace, was the need for a backrest. Holy crap, I had PERMISSION! I couldn't squander the opportunity away! I yore wondering what this has to do with Moto Guzzi, I will admit that I was focusing my shopping on a California, Jackyll, Honda Valkyrie or GoldWing.

Fast forward to November, I am still riding when weather allows and my son sends me a link to a benefit raffle put on by Cadre Cycle. Grand prize is a new 2023 v7 Special Edition. I look at the details and see the limited number of tickets to be sold, limit of 4 per person and cost each. I buy 3 and figure it's money going to a good cause (animal welfare league). When I received the tickets I notice the numbers. One ticket has the same number as the race car I've been building and running for more than 20 years. Hmmm....I start feeling optimistic! Drawing day comes around and I didn't give it much thought. Didn't look for a live feed of the drawing or anything. My phone rang around noon and I see it's a Cincinnati number. My heart skipped a few beats, thinking they drew and were letting me know they chose a different winner but thanks for playing. Nope....they confirmed my name and broke the "bad news" that I now owned a new Moto Guzzi! I was just beside myself. Surreal, honestly. We chatted a bit and made some preliminary plans for collection after the new year. I called my son to tell him what happened and he hit the roof! He sent the raffle link in passing, not expecting me to actually enter...let alone WIN! We went down to Cadre on the 5th of January 2024, did some paperwork, took some pictures, made some friends and loaded up my new bike!

Once we got home to my place, we unloaded it and I gave him the keys for the maiden voyage, as he had done for me when he got the Bobber. It was awesome.....I took a quick spin up n down the road and already feel pretty damn good! Some minor changes planned but I look forward to learning as much as I can about these bikes and making new friends in the family. Maybe learn some Italian while I'm at it! Anyway, pictures are attached if you've read this far. Me on the Bobber that started this story last year. His and my bike parked during our first ride together and a few more of the new Stone!

Received 791422092706946 Received 1655723494907740 20231013 180623 IMG 1281 Received 248287284953502 Received 1055659575659393 20240105 145727

Greetings fellow Guzzistas, my name is Jay and I am happy to be a part of the Family! I recently picked up a 2023 v7 Stone Special Edition... how I came to own this bike is a bit of a story I'm happy to share. Last summer my son bought a 17 v9 Bobber from a local dealership about an hour from his house.
Guzzi greetings! Congrats and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia! The Wing is nice, but it reminds me of my cross-country trip with a good friend. Me on my Guzzi Jackal, he on a then brand new BMW K1200LT. We were literally fighting over who rode my Jackal after the first few days. Land yachts boringly gobble up miles, but they sure lack real motorcycle experience IMO.
So congrats to your son, and MAJOR CONGRATS to you for winning a V7! Nice nice nice. Thanks for posting the story and pics. Always fun to see the owners with their bikes.
Hope you'll both add your info to our Registries linked below. Enjoy and see you here often. Cheers.

Congratulations and many safe riding miles both solo and with your son!
A free new bike is the best feeling, isn’t it? Well, almost free (There's gonna be tax hit.)
(I won a BMW in one of their raffles about 10 years ago)

That is an awesome! Let me tell you, the most common response you will hear when you repeat this story is, "I didn't think anyone ever won those bikes". You and I can both confirm that is totally false, people do win them and sometimes it's real riders. Let me tell you my story. About two years ago I entered an online contest sponsored by Indian Motorcycles, Mission Foods and American Flat Track. Prize was a 2022 Indian FTR along with some swag and a fully paid trip to the Flat Track finals in Volusia, FL. I put in one entry on day one and forgot to ever enter again. Fast forward to mid September 2022 and I get a call from an accounting firm in Wisconsin asking for my SS #. It took three full explanations to finally convince ME that I was the winner. For them, they were really doing all that they could to make sure a real rider and enthusiast won rather than a professional contest enterer. Hence they had requirements that you must attend the race and they even said things like we would like you to ride the bike around the track. I assured them that I was for real in my interest and enthusiasm. The funniest part was between mid Sept and the weekend of the event, I had two weekends of road racing. Recalling the requirement, "you must be here to collect your prize", I road those races with the most focus on staying on the black on two wheels!

Good for you that the V7 fits in a different quadrant than your Gold Wing.

IMG 5805

Holy crap that's awesome!!! Wicked lookin Indian too!!! So can I ask if you got a 1099 form or a W2-G to settle taxes? I didn't pay sales tax since it was a raffle prize but suspect I will receive a form to make sure Uncle Sam gets their cut!

Also, since you're a road racer and I do track stuff in a dedicated caged car, I hope I can glean some insight on taking the stone to a track to bolster my riding skills in a safe environment. Gotta get my "fix" on the regular!

Holy crap that's awesome!!! Wicked lookin Indian too!!! So can I ask if you got a 1099 form or a W2-G to settle taxes? I didn't pay sales tax since it was a raffle prize but suspect I will receive a form to make sure Uncle Sam gets their cut!

Also, since you're a road racer and I do track stuff in a dedicated caged car, I hope I can glean some insight on taking the stone to a track to bolster my riding skills in a safe environment. Gotta get my "fix" on the regular!
I got a 1099 for the value of the entire prize package, $21,000.00

This story gets even better. My daughter is a CPA and does taxes for people whose tax returns run to 1800 or more pages. So I ran this idea by her. Since I race motorcycles and now that I have been "compensated" by a motorcycle manufacurer, is there some why I could monetize this whole thing? I took down a tax ID number, created a motorcycle team, had my wife do some Instagram promoting and then had turbo tax do a return for my new business. In the end, I added together the bike, some other sponsor freebies and offset that with the cost of my weekend warrior racing. My team had a profit of about $6400. I still had to pay taxes but I did make a bonafide and concerned effort to promote the brand and the products. Racing weekends, we ate a lot of Mission Foods tortillas!

If I may answer with my experience. The bike I won from BMW had a value of IIRC, $18,300.
I got a 1099. The federal tax hit was $4,000..
Oof! I like Racer242's answer much more! 😉

I expect to pay some taxes. I believe the dealer had the bike (or another v7 850 special) listed at $9k when I won the raffle in late Dec '23. Pick up and title work was done in January '24 and the same bike listed at $8500. Title shows purchase price of $0. I guess it'll be a mystery until next year!

Lots of organizations that sponsor track days for bikes. It takes minimal work to prep a street bike for a track day. Read the rules of the organization but usually they want you to tape over the lights, remove the mirrors and sometimes safety wire the oil drain and fill. They will start you in a beginner class that for the first couple sessions will not allow passing. You'll get one 15-20 minute session every hour and 6-8 sessions for the day. You will be very surprised at how sore and how exhausted you are after maybe 90 minutes of total riding. Highly unlikely, unless you are a Dakar or ISDE rider, that you will make it to that last session. You will be that tired.

Oof! I like Racer242's answer much more! 😉

I expect to pay some taxes. I believe the dealer had the bike (or another v7 850 special) listed at $9k when I won the raffle in late Dec '23. Pick up and title work was done in January '24 and the same bike listed at $8500. Title shows purchase price of $0. I guess it'll be a mystery until next year!
Get wrap on the bike that mimics your race car. Take the bike to the track and use it to pull the little trailer that carts your wheels to the tire vendor. If you don't already have a race team, get a tax ID # and start one. You already had expenses, now you have revenue. The "advice" I got when doing this was, if questioned about the legitimacy of writing off your hobby, remind the examiner, YOU started this when you sent me that 1099, I am just following the rules.

Back