• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Massive Mileages

stromcat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Have just read an article in Motorcycle News about Nick Sanders Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 stripped down after 51000 miles in a few weeks touring of North and South America,the engine was almost like new.This got me thinking-are there any Stelvios out there with big miles on them,or any modern Guzzis for that matter?

Don't know what you consider "a few weeks" to be but allowing three weeks you're still talking about an average of more than 100 mph for 24 hours a day - sounds a bit unlikely!!! :eek:

50 days for 30,000 miles, 100 days for 51,000 miles.

Between 500 and 600 miles a day for more than 3 months.

That's a lot of riding in ANYONE's book. I'm glad I'm reading about it and don't have to do it - I would never want my motorcycle to become a torture rack, which is what would happen with me .....

Lannis

I breifly met Nick at the bike show at the NEC at Birmingham. Top bloke, but a bit loopy (with equally loopy staff selling his merchandise). Loves the big day's in the saddle and thinks nothing of a 36 hour ride. Must have a cast iron arse....

stromcat said:
Have just read an article in Motorcycle News about Nick Sanders Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 stripped down after 51000 miles in a few weeks touring of North and South America,the engine was almost like new.This got me thinking-are there any Stelvios out there with big miles on them,or any modern Guzzis for that matter?

I once watched TV show about Nick Sanders, it showed him on one of his motorcycle trips. He was grabbing a few minutes kip on the bike here and there, the journey looked no fun at all, it seemed to be more of an endurance test.I'm partial to racking up a few hundred miles a day myself, but from what I've seen it seems a bit reckless to do those sort of distances when you're tired.
I don't know anyone personly who racks up mega miles on motorcycles, but we read about them on various bike forums. I used to frequent an american Harley forum back in the day when I used to ride Hogs, many of the guys there were doing 20,000 mls + per year, but these blokes seemed to live in the southern parts of the USA where they enjoyed decent weather throughout the year.
In the UK it appears that most riders clock up around 3000mls p.a. usualy riding between spring and autumn. I and a couple of mates seem to average approx 8,000mls. MY last Stelvio covered a total of 10,000mls over two years, but I had two other bikes on the road as well during that time, I tend to use my oldest bike for winter/bad weather rides, and my newest for the good weather.
The most miles I have clocked up on any one motorcycle have been 38,000 faultless miles over 5years on a Honda CB750k6, 33,000 over six years on a BMW R1150GS (faultless), 26,000mls over six years on a Harley super glide sport (cam bearing failure at 21,000mls), 39,000mls over three years on BMW R80RT (faultless) police patrol bike. My other bikes have been far less due to keeping them for shorter periods.
My current Stelvio NTX has about 1500mls, it was laid up from mid December to early March. After this weekends trip to Edinburgh it'll have over 2k on it, and after my trip to the Stelvio and Grossglockner passes this coming June I estimate the total miles will be in the region of 5,000, so when it reaches its first birthday in October it may have covered about 6500mls. MY old R100GS in the meantime seems to be going nowhere due to an electrical fault :(

These motor bike trips are all the fashion
So I rode my bike from Melbourne to Athens,
Some have gone the long way round
And some have even gone the long way down,
My little trip was just a pup
because I just went the short way up,
Some said I wouldn't get far'n
And some said not even to Darwin,
I thought I'd look rather silly
If I didn't get to Dili,
I cruised through Indonesia
The scenery would please ya,
Medan to India bike sea freight
In Chennai I did wait,
Some said I'm a brave man
Travelling through Pakistan,
But that don't stand
Coz I didn't go to Afganistan,
I was told in Quetta
Al Queada will get ya,
I met friendly people in Iran
The same in Erzincan,
Riding into Athens on zero
Absolutely stuffed, I'd lost ten kilo.

Humblest apologies,
Mark

fatal said:
stromcat said:

I used to frequent an american Harley forum back in the day when I used to ride Hogs, many of the guys there were doing 20,000 mls + per year, but these blokes seemed to live in the southern parts of the USA where they enjoyed decent weather throughout the year.

I guess everything's relative. I don't consider 20K - 25K miles a year a whole lot, because I do that much myself, spread among 6 bikes, and I don't ride everywhere that I COULD ride.

Now the guys who ride 30K - 50K miles a year, that's gittin' it. Above that and it sounds like a marathon or contest - hard to see people doing it for "fun"! But diff'rent strokes ....

Lannis

So to get back to my question,10,000 miles on a Stelvio seems to be the farthest so far? Anyone go better than that? What about the other modern Guzzis?

stromcat said:
So to get back to my question,10,000 miles on a Stelvio seems to be the farthest so far? Anyone go better than that? What about the other modern Guzzis?

I bought my Griso in mid Dec.
It now has 8,500+ miles on it.
Is that close enough ?

Well... just over 40 thousand Km in 2 years living in Canada seems like a whole lot to some people but thats what my stelvio has seen. That is about average for me over the last few years.

22000 miles in just a little over a year. Expect another 20,000 this year including a trip up to Alaska and back home to north of Boston. The bike has not missed a beat yet.

Also have almost 70,000 on my Ballabio and 30,000 on my Ambassador since rebuilding it a couple of years ago. Our Cafe bike has 74,000 original miles on it.

stromcat said:

I will check at the weekend but I'm pretty sure mine has around the 12k miles on the clock. Engine is sweet, pulls like a train and sounds ace with the after market can fitted. I've had a few issues with other non engine stuff, nothing serious but enough to keep me off the road for a few weeks while it was sorted. :(

Heading to Uzes in France 19th April for 10 days and probably another 2600 or more miles to add to the clock. :D

windy

Massive Miles what does it all mean?
Have done 87000k's in the past 4 1/2 years on my 1200 sport (which would of been a bit more except for a liitle incident with the law, that saw it parked for 3 months, and then an "off " which saw it out of action for the same peiod of time- Bugger. :( ) Anyway it goes like a train, much to the disgust of a few of my "Jap" mates, and I can't see a reason why I'd want to trade it in on anything else. :D

Miles with smiles

Miles with Guzzi Smiles,,
Pete in Kent his 08 Stelvio (the red one) has done some 50,000 plus miles. My old 09 I did 17,000 miles in 11 months before buyinga 2011 in May last year this one has now covered 15,000 miles. Did not use much November December due to ice on the roads hear in Wales. Peter is now waiting the delivery of his new Stelvio NTX.

I have 24,000 on the Stlevio and normally run 12K-15K per year, but I'm a wimp and put it away when it gets cold and dark in the winter.

Back