• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mayonaise - and it's not Hellmans!

Holt

High Miler
GT Contributor
I performed the winter hibernation service today. It's been a cold and wet October. Usually there'll be at least one week of Indian Summer, but it seems as the Indians are letting us down this year.

Even thought I could wash the bike before putting it into the blue body bag, but that'll have to wait for a day with some cold sunny weather.

So I did the oil-change ceremony and also changed the bulbous cross-over for a Stucchi-one.

4039740435_1e764c8afd.jpg

- which btw is a good thing. I can even reach the gearbox drainage plug with the small 1/4" torque-shaft now!

When draining the rear drive/bevel box (your choice), i found this

4040498178_2fb4d8aafa.jpg

NOT what I expected! :dry:

So, digging a bit further

4039750513_73113b3eea_m.jpg

4040499682_9ce810cf73_m.jpg

4040493686_8744d5d5c6.jpg

I know I drove through a couple of really heavy thunderstorms this summer, but how the h*ck did that water come in there, and shouldn't I find a drainage hole in the bottom of the shaft tunnel? There's a marking of the size of a 1-cent piece at the bottom, near the bevel box, which could be a landing space for a good drill.

Will all of you smallblock owners kindly bow yourself down and take a look? :?:

The water has obviously penetrated the seal to the bevel box - look at the curled lip round the hex nut.

I flushed the box with kerosine three times, and filled 'with the right 75-140 ugly smelling stuff, as I probably have to change the rear tire anyway early in the season.
How is it changing that seal? Anyone tried? Piece of cake or PITA? Will demounting the hex nut do, for the seal change, or do I have to explode the whole box?

Don't be shy here! ;)

Wow, wow, wow! :shock: Sorry I can only offer amazement and no technical advise. Guess we'll hav to see how you deal with this. Now you have a little winter project. Sorry to see that.

Guzzimundi said:
Wow, wow, wow! :shock: Sorry I can only offer amazement and no technical advise. Guess we'll hav to see how you deal with this. Now you have a little winter project. Sorry to see that.

Nah, it'll be a spring project, for a nice and sunny day. :D Just have to avoid rain until then. :whistle:

Holt, on Wildguzzi a V7C owner reported water in the shaft housing. The dealer found it at the initial service, but didn't appear to have an answer. He had rode in a torrential rainstorm, and guessed that it may have been from the breather.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=30288.0

No real answers.

Joe

Yeah, read that. The breather cap is not a probable source of error, unless the poor lad was driving under water, if even then.
I am suspecting the rubber bellow at the gearbox outgoing shaft, but I can see no cracks. Anyway is the box seal blown, and shall be renewed. As there was water in the shaft tunnel thats the most probable way.

I had the same experience with the final drive oil, after riding in heavy rain. I was due for an oil change and when I drained the oil it was just as milky.
If I am riding in heavy rain, I will change the oil ASAP. It doesn't take much to contaminate the oil, I'm sure the splash gets in by the breather.

I haven't changed the oil since, but wasn't caught by a heavy downpour either so I don't have additional history to back this up.

Reasons why I don't believe in the breather theory are two:

#1 I've had that bike for 6 years by now, and never seen anything like.

#2 I've been riding in very heavy rains before these passed summerstorms. Believe me! :pinch:

and #3&4 of the two: water in the shaft tunnel and a bad seal :mrgreen:

Hard to believe that much water -- enough to contaminate the oil like that -- would get in through the little breather. I've ridden in a bit in rain and haven't seen that, yet :? :ugeek: The seal should be the culprit, though seals do okay in water don't they? :mrgreen:

:eek: :eek: That looks more like salad dressing than mayo to me. :D

I have only had water intrusion into my gas tank so I will be of no help. I certainly have not found it in the swingarm or the rear drive and mine sees a LOT of rain. My $0.02 would, just as suggested by Holt, be the rubber boot at the top of the swingarm must be loose or torn.

If the seal is bad in the drive case then why would it only leak one way? I mean if water can get in then lube should be able to come out too, right? but you did not have a oil leak? I thought there were two seals in there, are you going to do both or do you know which one is the culprit? I have no doubt you will get to the bottom of this.

BTW,
That crossover sure does add clearance for the gearbox drain. I will put one of those on the to do list.

NOLAGuzzi said:
If the seal is bad in the drive case then why would it only leak one way? I mean if water can get in then lube should be able to come out too, right? but you did not have a oil leak? I thought there were two seals in there, are you going to do both or do you know which one is the culprit? I have no doubt you will get to the bottom of this.

I actually do have a memory of that unmistakable scent of a good stored vintage hypoid oil last time I demounted the rear drive for changing the tire. Probably a small leak even then.
The repair will have to wait for better times, weatherlike, as I only got a shed as a garage.

Holt,

You have a shed!? Lucky you.

I have an open, covered porch that faces north. All my wee beasties huddle there under their hoods. But then, I ride year 'round, too.

-Jesse
I dream of a motorcycle shed...

Attachments

• Bike Patio.jpg
    Bike Patio.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 263
The gaiter between the output from the gearbox and the s/a has a breather hole. I have always oriented this downwards, to allow drainage.

It may be that the damaged seal (which looks damaged from initial installation...) has allowed water to access the box. I think you can change the seal (after all it doesn't matter, in this case, what you do to the old seal) without removing anything else. Just hook the old one out, make sure that the surfaces are clean, then carefully install the new one.

Sadly, the mayonnaise may well have caused damage to the bevel and crown wheel. It doesn't take long for these highly stressed components to suffer when lubrication falls below par.

Back