• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MGS 01

billyrea

Just got it firing!
Hi Guys, not sure I'm in the right forum but hopefully it will be a start to getting some advice.
After years of waiting for a sports road bike from Guzzi and so far a complete no show, I've decided to try make one myself starting with an MGS 01. So here's where my research begins, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had thought along these lines, has anyone here done, or know of someone that's done it.
Any advice, help, knowledge on this subject would be gratefully received, not only on the conversion itself but also keeping one on the road.
Thanks in advance,
Billy

There is one or two Centauro or Daytona RS in Italy that have been converted to look like an MGS 01, is this what you are asking? There is no kit that I am aware of, you'll just have to source the proper parts.

Also, I think there is one or two MGS 01's still available for sale. Won't be cheap. Ping me direct if you want more info on the bikes.

Keep us posted here on your project if you proceed.

Hi thanks for the info.
What I would really like to do is take an MGS and make it street legal, I have the budget for such a project I'm just trying to find a little more info on what works and what doesn't

I can put you n touch with several who have in the U.K. & here in the U.S.

Do you now own an MGS-01?

There was at least one MGS-01 made road legal in the UK, maybe two......I'm not sure if it was the same one that appeared at 2 different times.

As far as I know a member of the owners club had one done. All it required was a brake light, indicators & road tyres to get road registeration but it was registered for daylight use only as it had no headlight.

I think it was then loaned to someone to race so the road bits would have been removed again, although the registration would have still existed. Unfortuneately the rider died after a race crash. I not sure if this was on the MGS-01 or his V11.

Then a while later a Kawasaki dealer in Newcastle was advertising a road legal MGS-01 on Ebay. I do not know if this was the same bike or another one. And also I think at one time a UK Guzzi dealer was advertising that they had one in stock and could get it made road legal.

I also used to have a link to a German (?) website that showed how someone had bought a MGS-01 and made copies of the bodywork and fitted it to a Daytona RS along with suspension & brake upgrades to match the MGS-01. I just tried that link and the website doesn't seem to exist any more.

I once dreamt of such a machine and roamed the globe looking at all options.

There were in Europe some guys making replica body kits (for V11's) with headlights fitted where the MGS-01 had an oil cooler.

If the oil cooler could be re-positioned and the headlight from the replica kit fitted, add a coupla blinkers etc and your away

Thanks for the help, I'll have to root around a little more. I need to find out about ingnition and charging systems and also the longevity of what is effectively a race engine on the road.
I've found a few second hand mgs's, Moto Guzzi still have them on their official site so they may still be available from new, really wanted to find out if it could be done and to what effect before I go ahead with a purchase.

As I mentioned, there are a few that have made been made easily street legal. Electrics are stock outside of there is no key/ignition. The bike powers up when it is set to run on the throttle side switch gear. It's a relatively mild tuned motor @1225cc's, should be good for 10's of thousands of miles as delivered.

I have a review (per my pic below) that I'll try to revive.

If it was me, I'd source a new 8V or BigBore motor by ringing up Mille Percento, and build your own like the one they built for/by Guareschi @daytona 2007 shown below.

MGS 0 BB1

The quick way to get a MGS-01 look alike is to get a Ghezzi & Brian Super Twin......after all those guys were responsible for the styling of the MGS-01 !

In germany some 25 were converted for street use.

- relocate oil cooler
- put aprilia leonardo headlight is, wiring for light from v11 sport,
- thermostat in oil pan
- v11 sidestand.
- some small parts like licenseplate thing.

If you can get it road legal depends on where you are and who you know :)

Or look at the Millepercento Alba, build by Ghezzi.
http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/Millepercento-Alba

Mi_ka said:
pauldaytona said:
If you can get it road legal depends on where you are and who you know :)
In Germany also??? B)
yes. With lights it's still not a bike with ecu conformity papers, so it is not easy. But for who wants it and knows the way it can be done, but I think it's now even more difficult in Europe.

Best way is the kitcar way: get a plate in the UK, and then any EU country has to license it too.

Back