• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Milling Griso Heads, FULL WRITE UP REPORT.

Spaceclam

Cruisin' Guzzisti
OK, so im going to start this off by saying it's long. I know. Before i did all this, i spend a LOT of time searching for information regarding milling griso/breva/v11 heads (same head design i think) and i found lots of little suggestions, but very few RESULTS. So what i am writing here right now is what i would have HOPED to find somewhere on the internet.

Background:
My engine pings, it always has. Valves have been set (came at 4 and 6, set to 6 and 8 ), TPS set (was way off), TBs set (also way off), i have fixed holes in my exhaust upstream from my o2 sensor, (defect) i have removed the emissions equipment, stepper motor, i have Todd's PCV/AT/ECU combo, (which helped the most) but NOTHING would get rid of it. Using the dynojet software, i put marks on my throttle grip for 40, 60, and 80% throttle (since the throttle cam isn't linear). I determined that it pings between 4k and 5k, at 60% throttle or above in 6th gear, and sometimes in 5th. Todd's stuff dropped my engine temps drastically, (it was running near 300*F at the heads prior) but it still did it, so i figured it must be something other than excessive heat.

I had heard that squish geomoetry/clearance had a lot to do with the v11s pinging, (although apparenty the rod/stroke ratio is different, so i couldn't drop the FBF or MR pistons in) so the only way to adjust things is to go in and start cutting metal. I figured why not, i'm good at throwing myself into the fire.

Initial observations
Well, first and foremost, i had a stripped engine stud bolt (the head was stripped from the factory) so i spend the better part of the morning drilling the head off. Once finally removed, I was able to get the head off without any further problems. What i found was interesting. the bike only has 7.5k miles on it, but there was a THICK "about .01" coating of carbon on the pistons, the left more so than the right. Some of it was oil, which suprised me, since the bike doesnt use any, but a lot of it was hard carbon, indicating that i am either running far too rich, or temps are a little too low, and thus carbon forms. I cleaned off as much as i could, and i'm going to let my hotter temps/some techron do the rest.

So at TDC, the deck height of my piston was .065, which isn't TOO bad except that there is a .030" deep chamfer on the heads as well, which is about .15" wide. This area on the pistons is flat, not angled, which means that not only do i have no effective squish, but the factory's "squish" areas didn't match at all, ant has a clearance of .095 on the inside of the band. This was not including the .01" thick carbon layer the solder strips were set on either, so the actual number should have been .105 They have been making this same basic engine since the 70's, you'd think they would figure something like that out. However, both cylinders had identical deck height. Gasp! :eek:

Stuff I did
Basically, in order to achieve any squish at all, i had to A) remove my base gasket and B ) mill .030 off my heads, to remove the chamfer (match piston geometry to the head). This gave me a .15" wide squish band all the way around the perimeter of the piston, with a .05 clearance, after removing some carbon. I could not comfortably go any further because my valves would get a little close for comfort (the valves were at .045 clearance) and i was at the end of my tapped adjustment range anyway. Yes, i could have fixed that, but i didnt want to.

So assuming the guzzi spec'd compression of 9.8:1 is accurate, i calculated that my new compression was 10.7:1. High enough that i was concerned about my geometry improvements being offset by the additional compression. But at this point, all i could do was shim stuff back up to lower my compression, so i figured i would just try it and see what happened.

The first ride
Before going out, i accepted the trims on my Autotune (which resets all the fields to 0), so that i Could see the changes before/after the ride. IT is normal for this bike (i have kept an eye on things) to have trims averaging about 5% from one day to the next, sometimes more, sometimes less.

It pinged. Not so much at first, but harder towards the end of the ride. I figured it was because i was TRYING to make things ping, so my chamber was real hot.

After the ride, What i found confirmed my initial suspicions about the AT. Even though it's a good piece of equipment, and the sensor may be very accurate to the gas it "sees", there are too many variables in combustion for it to accurately read inside the cylinder. I know this, because I found trims which averaged -15%, + or - in the area where it pings. That means it took fuel out of that area, bringing my fuel levels to LEANER than stock, even though the target AFR never changed, and is set to 13.2.

I called it a night. it was 12AM, and about 43 degrees, according to my dash.

Second ride
Before i left, i cleared the initial trims, set my target AFR to 13.0 in the affected areas, and added 10% more fuel over stock in that range, just to get it started. At first, i was quite pleased. It had a lot more low end power, 1st gear is officially obsolete, it cold started better, and the pinging wasn't much of an issue. Of course, it's been raining like crazy around here so the canyons are pretty nixxed. Instead, i took a brisk 51 degree ride down mullholland, and back up the 101, using my "tuning marks" on my throttle to pull the bike from 4k and let the AT do it's thing. After a few pulls, it started pinging again. I was afraid that, after warming things up, i had actually made things worse. That is quite a sinking feeling, especially knowing how expensive this shit is.

I pulled into my house, hooked up the laptop and reviewed the fuel numbers again. the AT had taken fuel out again, such that it was pretty even with stock in the areas again, even though the AFR was set to 13:1. Since this had happened twice now, i am pretty sure the pinging thing is, at least now, mostly fuel related. And for some reason, the AT gets funny readings in that throttle/rpm range.

So it seems that i have to tell the AT to run much richer in those areas than it actually is, in order to get the results i want. But that's ok. I added more fuel manually again and set my AFR to 12.8, and I will keep my eye on the fuel graph for a while. Just for reference, stock is rather lean.

Final impressions
The pinging is a wash. After i made the corrections the first time, before the AT started changing things, pinging is EXACTLY as it was before. This either means that it isn't combustion/excessive heat related, or that my changes in geometry/squish were compensated for by the extra compression.

However, if you are a machinist/know a good machinist who does stuff for not a lot of $, i would reccomend doing what i did. It's about a day's worth of work, and if you have a shop, then it costs you nothing. Considering the only money i spent was on a new oil ring (cause i cracked mine like an idiot) i would say it was a good mod, well worth the money. I wouldn't pay somebody hundreds of dollars to do this though.

Performance wise, it's just snappier. It revs faster, it pulls harder on the bottom end. First gear is totally un necessary. I like it.

G'day, yall.
-Clam

Attachments

• DSC02857.JPG
    DSC02857.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,199
Thanks for the report. I would be interested to hear how this plays out for you as weather conditions change too.

Cheers

The results are in!

So as you can see, the max power is 81 hp. Not bad, a little lower than i suspected, but my reasons for thinking so are apparent on the torque graph.

The most interesting things are marked on the A/F graph as A, B, C, and D. For these reasons, i will be disabling my AT from here on, and calculating the necessary corrections in % and inputting them manually.

A: The AT has made plenty of corrections in this area, and it's set at 13.4. The actual value is 14.4. Not a problem however, as it's not a critical area on the map. Since it seems to be a narrow spike in readings, it could very well be a resonant thing (fresh air being sucked into the pipe on the downside of an exhaust pulse)

B:This is the big pinging area. my A/F was set to 13.2 prior to my head mods. After the head mods, the AT started taking lots of fuel out, so i set it to 12.8. It still leaned it out to more than it was prior. So i entered some corrections in by hand (just guessing) bringing them to where they originally were, then disabled those cells for AT correction. As you can see, it's FAR from 12.8. Nearly off by a full point. Interestingly however, the 80% mark on the throttle is about right. but 60% is way lean, as is 100%. most of the pinging starts at about 60%. This explains a lot. I do not believe this is resonant, because it covers a WIDE area of the map, and at multiple throttle positions.

C: This is the most ridden area of the map, since the bike gets ridden through a lot of traffic, on the street, and i dont use first gear much. I give it about 60% throttle and feather, but this area will bleed into the areas around it. the A/F FLATLINES at 10:1. The AT has made lots of corrections here too, though i cant remember off the top of my head. This could go a way to explaining both the heavy layer of unburnt carbon on my piston, as well as my crappy mileage (about 30 city). This point on the map is set to 13.2:1. This could also be a resonant thing.

D: Point D is actually kind of irrelevant, but it looks bad so i thought it would be worth discussing. the big A/F dropoff occurs in the 20% range at 700+ rpm. Not important, though i will lean it out a bit anyway. The AT doesnt correct in these cells, so this is stock fueling.

Now, for the torque map:

Those are some impressive numbers. Just so you can see, here's a more detailed dyno.

Here is a dyno chart for comparison, provided by GT-Rx some time ago. Red is stock, Blue is with his GT-Rx pipe. There is no fueling correction on this map.

So i will calculate the numbers, and make the corrections manually and i will report back later.

-Clam

Attachments

• grisodyno3.jpg
    grisodyno3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 217
  • annotated HP-AF.jpg
    annotated HP-AF.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 214
Great data Clam, thanks for posting. Nice gains there.
As for your (now revised) words above stating "The autotune: Just as i suspected. it's NOT accurate. Not even close." -- as I stated in direct e-mail, what you are dealing with is the reverse exhaust pulses on steady/closed throttle due to the position of the 02-sensor with a free-flow/open muffler, and the dyno is only dealing with loaded acceleration, in a miniscule snap-shot of time, which also the temps/humidity in the dyno room have a large impact on the outcome of the readings.

On 'A' above, reverse pulses wouldn't show on a dyno "pull" - but certainly would effect mapping on closed throttle while you're out daily riding.

If you think it's horrible, I would have the dyno operator map your "problematic" area(s), and zero out AutoTune in those areas -OR- you can return the AutoTune and I'll refund you. AutoTune is a wonderful tool when used properly, and the end-user is in control.
Also to note on the above graph which I am named, the dyno run of my left side slip-on muffler is shown with no fuel corrections (a stock Press bike from+ 2.5 years ago), which is known to be overly rich.

T.E.
Guzzi Technical Adviser to Dynojet
Certified Tuning Link & Power Commander Tech

I asked the dyno opperator about those pressure pulse issues. He doubted that was the case due to the length of pipe after the sensor and the bend, but I'm not sure i trust his knowledge of physics.

That being said, pressure pulses are a resonant thing. It's highly unlikely that i am suffering from pressure pulses thruought my entire rev range.

It's not horrbile by any means. the AT got me where i am now, which is about 80% of the way there. The gains are huge, so i am NOT knocking the AT for being bad, but commenting that it's not accurate enough to achieve what i am trying to do.

Either way, i asked him regarding his experiences, which are of course, biased. What he said was, my results were rather typical of ATs, and i trust the dyno is a little more accurate than the AT.

This is supported by what i saw when i took my heads apart. I spend a lot of time in traffic, accelerating at the throttle settings through the rpm ranges for which the dyno shows a flatline at 10:1. I also get strangely poor mileage, which again supports this.

At any rate, whether or not it's caused by pressure pulses or (as the opperator claimed) poor processor quality, it's kind of irrelevant. In most cases it's GOOD ENOUGH, and the improvement is vast.

In my case, i needed something more accurate to pinpoint this behavior.

I'll edit the post above, because i forgot to mention that there was no fuel correction for your dyno.

Spaceclam said:
I asked the dyno opperator about those pressure pulse issues. He doubted that was the case due to the length of pipe after the sensor and the bend, but I'm not sure i trust his knowledge of physics.
That being said, pressure pulses are a resonant thing. It's highly unlikely that i am suffering from pressure pulses thruought my entire rev range.
If I had $35k USD invested in a 250i Dyno, I'd be partial too. I don't fault Andy, he's a rational guy. I have 9+ years of one-on-one dyno time at Dynojet with their Head R&D Tech to say otherwise. Dynojet themselves use AutoTune technology (wideband sensor) to build maps, even at the AMA Pro Races. Did he use a W-B sensor or a copper tube A/F pump?
6k RPM and closed throttle will pull enough air to send the AFR off the chart lean. I have thousands of recordings via my WBC to support this over the last 3+ years.

I'll edit the post above, because i forgot to mention that there was no fuel correction for your dyno.
Thanks.

As mentioned earlier, i will report back after i have made the corrections. We will see how it pings.

Points A and C i suspect might be resonant. As for the being off by about .5:1 from 6-6k at 40,60 and 100% throttle, i have my doubts. But again, we will see.

Also, idle showed quite lean, for sustained periods of time (over a minute, idles about 15:1 according to the dyno) while the AT read 13.2.

i think it'd be worth pulling your ecu out and sending it to someone who can modify the ignition advance map. you might be fighting an issue you can't see and no amount of fuel tuning (apart from drowning it) will fix a too much advance problem.

good work on pulling the squish down tho. i had some thinner head gaskets made up for the v11 motors, but only got to use one set before they went elsewhere.

i found the v11 responded very well to taking 3 degrees out of the maps in the areas they pinged in. not much of a change, but it worked consistantly.

BTW, he said he used a wideband sensor.

As for the timing, we will see how it is after the manual fueling corrections.

Spaceclam said:
BTW, he said he used a wideband sensor.
OK, I'd be curious to hear *from him* what he did with the AT/WB in place. Did you watch?

Brad, I have made several revisions to Andrew's ECU to try and alleviate his pre-detonation issue. The last revision he claimed was 90%+. ~3 degrees is a significant change, and power would no doubt suffer.

Not trying to argue, but while you may be having issues with your bike, SpaceClam, you were having issues before the AutoTune so it is not all together surprising that you still have some issues. And to say the AutoTune is not accurate enough ignores the fact that it seems to be accurate enough on other peoples bikes. I'm not saying your wrong, just that there may be other explanations. My bike was one that pinged. I put the AutoTune package on it but I only got to ride it a couple times before winter set in so it is still up in the air on how it is but so far it has been a success.
Nice job on the milling. Did you consider removing some metal from the top of the piston or the combustion chamber to offset the increase in compression from the squish band milling? A flatter piston dome together with improved squish would be a win/win combustion wise I think.

the issue isn't that the autotune didnt make my pinging go away. It became pretty apparent that it wasn't just a fuel thing pretty soon after the ECU thingy. There were times in which i couldn't accelerate in 6th gear at all. Even a smooth, 10% increase in throttle would have it pinging like crazy.

Remember, the difference between 14:1 and 13:1 is only an 8% increase in fuel.

The issue is that in some areas, according to the dyno at least, the AT read rich by about a full point, on average, so i stopped adding fuel for fear of flooding things in the areas in which i had problems. In fact, (again, according to the dyno) i was still lean. So a bike that is tempermental to begin with, coupled with a possible lean (though FAR less severe, or even marginally) condition = possible cause.

so provided your engine isn't a basket case like mine, being off by 10% or so is NOTHING.

Of course it could be argued that the AT is correct, and the dyno is off. It's a matter of what you trust.

No, i did not remove the pistons to mill the tops off. I was kind of looking forward to the high compression, and i had found enough evidence that fixing the squish is often enough to overcome the increase in compression and then some.

Fair enough. I too was thinking that the improvement in squish would offset the increase in compression. But I didn't know if you had thought about that.
I would be curious to see what your actual ignition and valve timing specs are. With modern bikes timing isn't designed to be manually adjusted but I wonder if mechanical tolerances can cause some bikes to be out of wack, especially on a bike like a Guzzi with its liberal tolerances.
I tend to think that if most other bikes don't do something and a few do (whether it is pinging or wobbling) then there is something different about the few that do.
And as for the Dyno's air/fuel readings being different from the AutoTune's, it could be either one that is wrong. I am not as knowledgeable about dynos as Todd but I do know that a new wide band O2 sensor is likely to be more accurate then an old one, especially if the old one has seen leaded race fuel. And I have heard plenty of stories of where an air/fuel sensor on a dyno was giving false readings. So you can't always trust what they are telling you, whether an AutoTune or a dyno mounted sensor.
By the way, was your clearance numbers of 0.050" and 0.045" including both gaskets?
Keep us posted.

no, that's after the base gaskets were removed.

As it turns out, the flatlined area in the A/F was UNMAPPED by the AT. I dont know why, because i do ride there.

I suppose part of what i see is this. areas of high throttle/low RPM dont get mapped very well by the AT because at rpms like that, im generally in second gear, and the bike just blows RIGHT past them.

Any case, i put the new numbers in. It seemed a little better ping wise, (not much) but it was also colder outside. We will see as a little more time goes on.

I dont think it's as big of an issue anymore, but if come summer time i start getting pissed off again, i may re-remove the heads, blast the PC off and have a dispersant applied instead. That should cool things down.
THANKS AGAIN TO TODD for making this possible. :)

Attachments

• griso stock-current copy.jpg
    griso stock-current copy.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 398
Spaceclam said:
Here's a comparison between stock and current. Red is bone stock, blue is current. THANKS AGAIN TO TODD for making this possible. :)
Nice overlay, again, see if you can get the named *.drf files and I can do the overlays in short order. Also, best to note that on the graph above, that the red trace is of stock Griso with my GT-Rx L/S meg with uncorrected fueling, and the blue trace is with your head mod and GT-Rx ECU, GT-Rx L/S meg *WITH* fueling corrections via PC-V/AutoTune at 100% throttle.

Actually, the red trace is BONE STOCK. But i made a mistake, because your horizontal scalars were different than mine. I have corrected the graph and now it's accurate. I also included GREEN which is the GT/RX pipe, otherwise stock.

Spaceclam said:
Actually, the red trace is BONE STOCK.
Then you have it plotted substantially higher then it should be (max ~72 rwhp). Just get me the drf's and I'll do a proper overlay. Again, VERY nice gains there.

actually, i just caught that, funny you mentioned it. This time, i have it better. It's not perfect, because after compressing the scale to fit, plus "bleeding" the colors so i could grab them in photoshop plus compressing the image, the line width alone is a few foot lbs.

This is a really interesting thread.

Maybe it's my hearing (still pretty good for my age) but I've never heard my Breva ping. Nor pop on overrun either. I use our 96 - 98 Ron fuel in it which I'm pretty sure doesn't contain any Methanol.

Maybe if I rode without a helmet I'd hear something bad? I have heard pinging occasionally on my Buell when giving it too much throttle before the engine has warmed properly so it can't be my ears or helmet.

Back