• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mistral link pipe

sandy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Can someone tell me what the advantage of fitting one of these would be.
Is it designed to be used only with the Mistral silencers, or can it be used with the standard pipes.
I realise that it would provide easier access to the gearbox drain bolt but apart from that, what would be improved by fitting it.

Hey Sandy, the only difference that I could see on mine was the improved access to the transmission drain plug, as you mentioned. And it looks better than the stock pipe with the expansion chamber. :) From what I gather, the stock pipe is supposed to help scavenge exhaust gases and help performance. The exhaust gas from one cylinder was supposed to expand upon reaching the chamber, creating lower pressure and accelerating the removal of exhaust gas from the opposite cylinder. I noticed absolutely no difference when I swapped mine out though.
Cheers, Mike
PS. It goes with the stock pipes, or replacement pipes.

No, the Cats are in the mufflers. When you look inside the old crossover pipe it's just an empty chamber. I put Agostini mufflers on my bike and it made a noticeable difference in power. They sounded good too. I had taken the original Moto Guzzi mufflers and drilled the Cats out of them, a nasty job, but it made no difference in the power, or the sound.
I have subsequently wrecked the bike, including bending up the Agostini pipes, so I am looking for a replacement that isn't quite as pricey. I think I will try some Norton Commando peashooter mufflers and see how they sound. They are basically a slip on installation, and I can get a pair on Ebay for about $150. Certainly worth a try, and I always liked how my friends Commando sounded... :)
Cheers!

mwrenn said:
No, the Cats are in the mufflers. When you look inside the old crossover pipe it's just an empty chamber.!

Ah now that's not what I've been led to believe.
I always thought the cat was in the link pipe, hence the o2 sensor being plugged in there and the reason for it being so large.
Interesting.

Think about it. If the cat was in the link (crossover) pipe then much of the exhaust would not even pass through the cat. Some times the cat is in the collector (for bikes with one), but it is always somewhere that 100% of the exhaust gases must pass through it to exit.

mwrenn said:
I think I will try some Norton Commando peashooter mufflers and see how they sound. They are basically a slip on installation, and I can get a pair on Ebay for about $150. Certainly worth a try, and I always liked how my friends Commando sounded... :)
Cheers!

As a former Commando owner, I love the look and sound of the peashooters too. Exchanged e-mail with a guy who installed them on a V7C and liked the result.

He did say he had to drill one new hole on each of the two existing bracket to fit the peashooters, and he needed to order new clamps to attach them to the headers.

If you try it, be sure to come back and post your results. I'm thinking about adding the same peashooter/crossover combo for my Cafe once the weather turns warm again.

Attachments

• Norton-V7C-PShoot.jpg
    Norton-V7C-PShoot.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,145
wittangamo said:
mwrenn said:
I think I will try some Norton Commando peashooter mufflers and see how they sound. They are basically a slip on installation, and I can get a pair on Ebay for about $150. Certainly worth a try, and I always liked how my friends Commando sounded... :)
Cheers!

As a former Commando owner, I love the look and sound of the peashooters too. Exchanged e-mail with a guy who installed them on a V7C and liked the result.

He did say he had to drill one new hole on each of the two existing bracket to fit the peashooters, and he needed to order new clamps to attach them to the headers.

If you try it, be sure to come back and post your results. I'm thinking about adding the same peashooter/crossover combo for my Cafe once the weather turns warm again.

Ha, how funny! So you know Steve Swan? The Guzzi community is pretty tight! I just bought the peashooters, clamps hardware etc...from him. I'll post up how I like them. Gonna be a month or so though, the bike is getting a major rebuild.
Cheers, Mike

Hey, I used the by pass since day one....with mistral pipes without baffles....yes neighbours luv me:)....its supposed to be more powerful but honestly, I think its just lighter and cleans up the bike....and no more crapy chrome to scratch....

mwrenn said:
Ha, how funny! So you know Steve Swan? The Guzzi community is pretty tight! I just bought the peashooters, clamps hardware etc...from him. I'll post up how I like them. Gonna be a month or so though, the bike is getting a major rebuild.
Cheers, Mike

Small world, indeed. Since you got his stuff, please pass along the details when you get it installed. I'm wondering about the measurements on the bolts and ribber bushings, pix of the install, where the new holes in the brackets go, etc. I'm thinking seriously about going this route myself when the weather turns warm again in a few months.

kinkajou said:
Hey, I used the by pass since day one....with mistral pipes without baffles....yes neighbours luv me:)....its supposed to be more powerful but honestly, I think its just lighter and cleans up the bike....and no more crapy chrome to scratch....

You got photos? YouTube with audio?

Its a bit cold here now....(winter in canada:(...) I will get the bike out on a warm day and make a small vid for you as soon as I get the front wheell back from the dealer....(getting a new front rotor under waranty....) If you like a loud roarty sound....it is definitly for you....if you like a bit more loud than original, you can leave the baffles in....the pipes will get louder after 1000km of riding them.... without baffles, you will have a few back fires if you ride agressively but notthing worst than most bikes with open pipes....

kinkajou said:
Its a bit cold here now....(winter in canada:(...) I will get the bike out on a warm day and make a small vid for you as soon as I get the front wheell back from the dealer....(getting a new front rotor under waranty....) If you like a loud roarty sound....it is definitly for you....if you like a bit more loud than original, you can leave the baffles in....the pipes will get louder after 1000km of riding them.... without baffles, you will have a few back fires if you ride agressively but notthing worst than most bikes with open pipes....

hey Kinkajou, where do you get the Mistral pipe? anyone carry it in Canada or you got it shipped from states?

I got the pipes from MGcycle....as far as I know, they are the only importer for mistrals in america.....I even contacted Mistral in mandello first and they refered me to MG Cycle....they are much lighter and better quality than the original cheap ones....and changing the oil is a breeze with the bypass on..... only bad thing, you will be charged customs if you are in canada...at least I did... I got my wheel back, will try to uplooad a video with sound so you guys know hoy it sounds and see how it looks....

Back