• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mistrals "popping"??

Canadaride74

Just got it firing!
I put new reverse cone Mistrals on my V7C and they are continually popping on down throttle. My gaskets are fine and the muffler clamp is as tight as possible without breaking. I don't honestly mind the sound but am wondering if this is a bad thing? I was think of putting some muffler sealant where the headers meet the pipes. Anyone have any ideas? Thx!
Canadaride74

my guess is that the new slip-ons are simply exacerbating the lean fueling condition of the motor. did you by chance also install the crossover pipe?

My Griso was doing the same sort of thing with both originally a Quad and now a Mistral pipe on it, the Quad was slightly worse with massive popping on the over run. The guy who services my bikes, Dave Ward of Moto Italia Australia fitted a little item called a SuperDuc into the lambda sensor wiring and it smoothed up the idle and made all the overrun popping disappear. The unit was only $120 AUD and evidentally takes the lamda sensor out of the equation and richens up the idle and overrun fuelling, it has a small screw to allow some adjustment, I have not noticed any lower economy and the ridability of the bike is absolutely brilliant compared to "almost brilliant" before the mod.

Hi, thanks for the input guys, appreciated. So getting the crossover pipe ya think would help with this noise? I'm taking the bike in for my 1000km service and maybe having them take a look at the O2 sensor? Thx again!
Canadaride74

Again, these bikes (and many others) run lean out of the factory and the only way to cure that is to change the air/fuel ratio which is what the other gent points to. You can install a lesser expensive unit ($100-$200) or spend much more on a custom mapped ECU and piggy back system such as a Power Commander and Auto Tune to achieve pure bliss.

The crossover pipe I was simply curious about.

Take care,

All of the new Guzzis are delivered excessively lean, stock. Increasing the flow adds to the problem. I have several fixes including full fuel map fixes or the cheaper band-aid to handle just low speed fueling. The dealer will not likely be of help.
Contact me direct for info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Hi guys, thanks again. So is this bandaid fix a DIY? Would the dealer not have a Ecu mapping unit that could change my fuel ratio? Not sure what you'd recommend for this? Thx!
Canadaride74

There apparently is a DIY version here on this Forum, but I have several plug-n-play options. Contact me direct.
The dealer (legally) cannot touch the bike.

Thanks Todd, so you sell parts on accessories also Guzzitech? That's strange, you would think the dealer would be the only ones who could work on it just to maintain the warranty. They actually said that by me installing the Mistrals I in effect voided my warranty. Not sure, quite new to how this works through the shop. Thx again.
Canadaride74

GreggF said:
My Griso was doing the same sort of thing with both originally a Quad and now a Mistral pipe on it, the Quad was slightly worse with massive popping on the over run. The guy who services my bikes, Dave Ward of Moto Italia Australia fitted a little item called a SuperDuc into the lambda sensor wiring and it smoothed up the idle and made all the overrun popping disappear. The unit was only $120 AUD and evidentally takes the lamda sensor out of the equation and richens up the idle and overrun fuelling, it has a small screw to allow some adjustment, I have not noticed any lower economy and the ridability of the bike is absolutely brilliant compared to "almost brilliant" before the mod.

Hi, I did fix a fat duc on mine (originally for Ducatis but the plug and play is the same on our V7s) and still popping as before (Mistral exhausts). I read somewhere that it works on some V7s and does not on some others... Strange but looks true..

Canadaride74 said:
Thanks Todd, so you sell parts on accessories also Guzzitech?
All of my offerings are under the Store tab at the top of this page.

MGV7 said:
Hi, I did fix a fat duc on mine (originally for Ducatis but the plug and play is the same on our V7s) and still popping as before (Mistral exhausts). I read somewhere that it works on some V7s and does not on some others... Strange but looks true..
The variable resistor 02-sensor fooler is a proven failure. The other poor attempt is a temp sensor diode. Neither really work.

One can live in guess-timations, or if you want something proven that works, contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Just put a Commander V and Auto Tune (from Todd) on a 2011 Cali & it is now a whole new ride. Way smoother & more powerful through out the entire RPM range well worth the time & money spent. Also did an air box eliminator & an H pipe.

Before the install it would pop in the stock silencers, I tried a set of aftermarket silencers and it was horrible, sounded like firecrackers whenever I let off the throttle & overall the bike was loud & noisy. After the install with the stock silencers it was like way too quiet so I slipped the after market units on and it sounds great. Sounds very powerful at idle, has a nice race car sound under acceleration and quiets down when cruising, just perfect for me.

Save up the bucks and do it right, do it once and totally enjoy your ride.

GT-Rx said:
The variable resistor 02-sensor fooler is a proven failure. The other poor attempt is a temp sensor diode. Neither really work.

One can live in guess-timations, or if you want something proven that works, contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Todd, I have a version 1 MemJet (temp sensor spoofer) installed on my V7 along with Mistral slash cuts, and a Stucchi crossover. The MemJet was installed at the suggestion of Moto Guzzi tech support to help solve a very severe lean condition. That was two years and several thousand miles ago. I can testify that on my bike the MemJet absolutly works.

The other thing that made a HUGE difference in the way the engine performs was removing the evap canister. The exhaust just purrs and on deceleration burbles nicely. I never use the fast idle lever on cold starts and the idle has be set to 900-1000 rpm (before it was 1100-1200).

guzzipete said:
Todd, I have a version 1 MemJet (temp sensor spoofer) installed on my V7 along with Mistral slash cuts, and a Stucchi crossover. The MemJet was installed at the suggestion of Moto Guzzi tech support to help solve a very severe lean condition. That was two years and several thousand miles ago. I can testify that on my bike the MemJet absolutly works. The other thing that made a HUGE difference in the way the engine performs was removing the evap canister. The exhaust just purrs and on deceleration burbles nicely. I never use the fast idle lever on cold starts and the idle has be set to 900-1000 rpm (before it was 1100-1200).
Very good, interesting that MG Tech would suggest this, but glad to hear you are enjoying it.
Simply put, FI is a science, and when you begin to wrap your head around it, it becomes very complex fast. Stating that "fooling the sensor" to produce a broad-stroke richening, is simply a band-aid fix. If you are happy with the result, very good. There have been many who started with this or the FatDuc (do the search here and read)... and have spent more money on correcting it properly.
Thanks for posting your experience though.

Back