• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mobil 1 15w-50

zjohnston

Just got it firing!
Anybody running Mobil 1 15w-50 in an older 1000? I have a 90 Cal III and use the standard Valvoline 10w-40 but my vent hoses are always full of thick water emulsified oil foam. Looking at trying a different oil, Mobil 1 15w-50 looks like it's for higher rpm and flat tappet application.

Last edited:
Oil and tire threads are fruitless and endless. Try whatever you’d like. They are all really good these days. Just know that if synthetic oils were not used when the bike was delivered new (non-nitron seals and paper gaskets) tend to cause leaks.

That is the oil I like for all 2 valve head Guzzi engines. Give it a try and see how it works for you. However, running in cool damp climate will result in the oil foam no matter what oil you use. The oil must get hot enough to vapor off water and apparently it isn't getting up to temperature. You will also get that foam in you valve covers in cool weather also.

Humidity probably has something to do with it, but I've found that white sludge in the vent tubes after riding all day in 95 deg temps. I would guess that having the steel frame tube as part of the vent system is a contributor. I would suppose it gets warm during operation and condensation settles in when it cools. I tried running amsoil 10w-40 several years ago and didn't have that foaming sludge issue. I stopped using it after I did a valve adjustment and found the rockers and valves were completely dry, didn't appear to have any oil film left from sitting overnight at all. I'm going to try the M1 15w-50, hope it works out.

Humidity probably has something to do with it, but I've found that white sludge in the vent tubes after riding all day in 95 deg temps. I would guess that having the steel frame tube as part of the vent system is a contributor. I would suppose it gets warm during operation and condensation settles in when it cools. I tried running amsoil 10w-40 several years ago and didn't have that foaming sludge issue. I stopped using it after I did a valve adjustment and found the rockers and valves were completely dry, didn't appear to have any oil film left from sitting overnight at all. I'm going to try the M1 15w-50, hope it works out.

I tried Amsoil once myself. Stopped using it for the same reason. Yes, humidity is also a factor.

Back