• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Modern Guzzi - NO ABS ????

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Locally, 4 people, all BMW riders, want to buy a Stelvio but are passing them up because they don't have ABS. I agree with em.

I swapped a BMW GS with ABS for my Stelvio without ABS. I was offered an ABS model for £500 more. I'd rather put the 500 quid on a set of trax panniers.
As much as I like the added security of ABS I can live without it, in 35 years of riding my GS was the first bike I owned with it, but it's jusy another expensive piece of kit to go wrong. The brakes on my Stelvio have plenty of feel, I'm happy with them.
By the way my Tiger 1050 has ABS but the deal I got when I bought it was very good and the ABS was included.
The way Guzzis are with their reliability issues I didn't relish the prospect of having to fork out several hundred quid for a replacement ABS unit if the bike was out of warranty.

Always wondered what the preoccupqation with ABS on a bike was? I had a BMW R1100RS and all the ABS was, was a light that didnt go out when it was cold in the morning. If I could have got rid of it I would.

I know the Stelvio isnt really an off road bike but I would hate to ride an ABS bike down a slippery track or in snow.

Each to their own though - I'll stick to the non-ABS way of life. As long as I can get the Stelvio running long enough to invoke a skid!!???

Ackers

The ABS is probably one of the most reliable things on the Stelvio. And you're supposed to be able to switch it off.

Fatal: So how are Guzzis with there reliability issues? It seems some people out here seem to imply they are pure crap (let us call a spade a spade now) and other people out here say they are totally reliable. I have yet to own a vehicle in my life that hasn't had something that needed replacing or failed at some point. I really don't know as my Stelvio is the 1st Guzzi I've owned. But I know that some of the people out here make me really paranoid about this expensive big lump that is in my parking spot next to my Jeep! Ha Ha! what gives?
FBC

I have to say I went into Guzzi ownership with my eyes open, I have trawled various Moto Guzzi websites over the last 12 months and I am aware of the problems with spares availability and some reliability issues. If you go to any bike website there are always people complaining about reliability, on the UKGSer website you can read loads on various problems with GS1200's including final drive failures, ABS servo unit problems, and some electronic failures, and even the newer GS800's seem to be having problems.
My own 2002 GS1150 was totally reliable in just over 30,000 miles, I never even had a bulb blow, the original battery was only replaced when it was 7 years old.
A pal who had a similar model had his final drive bearing pack in at 27,000 miles, it was reasonably easy to fix; Another mate has a Guzzi California Vintage, it's never missed a beat, but he does have a few handling issues with it. My Triumph Tiger 1050 has done around 7500 miles in the last 18 months, it has been fine, yet if you go to the Tiger 1050 forum you'll read about excessive oil consumption and gearbox issues.
I try to take the view that all mechanical devices will have some sort of failure rate, but I'm sure most go without any problems or very little. My Stelvio has now done at least 1,000 miles, the only real issue I have with it is the feckin' speedo sensor, I'm actually showing about 470 miles, the headlights need readjusting and it has to have the cam recall done, all this should be (hopefully) sorted at the first service. All these things are relatively minor and just a bit inconvienient. In 35 years of riding and having owned about 20 bikes I've been stuck at the roadside 5 times with mechanical/electrical failures:

1: 1976, my Suzuki GT250 seized due to small end bearing failure at about 10,000 miles

2: 1976, my Norton 750 Commando had an oil pipe failure and 3: then a week later total electrical failure.

4: 1980, the chain snapped on my 1977 Honda CB750K6 causing damage to crankcases.

5: 2004, my Harley Superglide Sport had a cam bearing go T*t's up at 15,000 miles.

Of course there have been occassional puntures, a few minor maintenance glitches and perhaps a fuse blow, but these are just minor irritatations.

I make sure I've got full breakdown cover and always carry my mobile phone, and trust to luck :)

Fatal: Well I figure I did too. Based on you response I'd say thats an intelligent, rational attitude. Where I get confused is... oh nevermind, it just doesn't make sense
FBC

Reliability?

FBC: Got my Stelvio in July 2008. Did 10'000 miles with it. Apart from the speedo sensor issue I never had even the slightest problem. Had the recall done a month ago. The mechanic said that everything looked perfect. Met a guy at my local dealership who was just about to trade in his 2008 1200 GS for a Stelvio. In 10 months he experienced 3 complete breakdowns and several minor problems. BMW's support failed wherever and whenever it could. He just told me he had "to get rid of this piece of crap." Then again I know of many GS riders who are 100% happy with their rides. You just never know.
My advice to you: Get out and ride! You will enjoy this motorcycle. I know I do. :)

Back