• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Motorcyclest Arrested by Maryland Police

I grew up there... (and no offense to our good officers of the law, but) they were corrupt asshats even then, and I've heard (and now see) it only continues to worsen. Wasn't there a time when the police force so corrupt they had to fire everyone and start over? I think we're there again now.
Also, Brian, be happy you are no longer in SM or LA for that matter... they are HORRIFIC here now too. Bike cops profiling/targeting motorcycles specifically for anything and everything they can.

The police will do anything to get your money and help justify their paycheck.

When I was about 14 (a short time ago) a friend and I witnessed a police beating. A homeless man was jaywalking across 19th and Wilshire late at night when there was no traffic. Back in those days they rolled up the streets after 6 PM. The cops yelled at him to stop, the man didn't even break stride, they yelled again, no change, finally, one of our brave boys in blue whacked him HARD twice with a giant flashlight and he dropped to the ground. It was pretty ugly, especially for a young lad.
My friends father checked into it and found that the man was a deaf/mute. The hint was that the fellow never changed stride or looked around.
He was absolutely harmless.
A fellow I went to High School with was caught up in that Rampart Division brouhaha stealing drug bust money. He was an asshole then, and is still, to this day.
Don't get me on any Jury, I won't last long. Especially when they ask the "do you think the police can lie" question.

I do not get along with cops in general. They tend to be dicks because it takes a dick to do their job. But if you watch the whole video (not just the short version) you see that he was not only speeding but pulling a wheely through traffic at high speed and then made a half assed effort to flee once he saw the cops coming. He even tried to back out when the cop pulled up, which probably contributed to the cops attitude. With the a$$ wipes on bikes we have around here what he got was what he asked for. He should be happy he is not dead. He was not an innocent victim but someone who rode like a squid and got caught.

True, he was speeding. You can even see it on his speedo, and he was cutting around traffic and just being an asshole on GP alone but...The cop behaved badly as well. Forcing the guy over, whipping out his pistola, waving it around like a maniac, and failing to show his stinking badge.
Knowing he did wrong, he hid his pistol when the other cop showed up.
Then there is the whole video mess to boot.
Luckily, the biker was unarmed, if that happened in Texas or some other gun type state, things may have ended sadly for everyone. It could have been mistaken for a robbery or assault type thing.
IMHO

I have to agree with GuzziMoto, there are more accidents on the Beltway in Maryland around Washington DC that are caused by squids and the people in the cages are the ones that end up dead, not the squid. Out there on the left coast you lane split, here on the east coast it isn't aloud, when your not used to this procedure and someone blows passed you at 100+ mph and your doing maybe 45 mph in rush hour traffic it scares the sh*t out of you whether your in a cage or a on a bike.

Just last night the wife and I were heading home on the HOV lanes in VA on 2 wheels, I'm doing 75 mph with the rest of the cars and out of no where two bikes pass us down the center of the two lane highway and they where doing well over 125 mph. When something like that happens everyone reaches for their cell phone and calls the LEO's, 4 - 5 miles down the road we all started slowing down, almost to a crawl, I figured one of the squids did an asphalt dive, but no, a VA State trooper had pulled them both over, they were off their bikes and zip tied to the metal barrier between the regular lanes and the HOV lanes. Everyone gave the trooper two thumbs up.

It's clowns like this that give the rest of us a bad name and cause accidents that kill Innocent people. Also, neither of these clowns was wearing gear, just T-shirts, shorts and tennis shoes, can you imagine hitting the road at that speed?

There are a lot of ways to go biking around,
to break the letter of the law while following the spirit of the law
and there are ways to enforce the letter of the law following its spirit
or to enforce the letter of the law going against its spirit.

As things are getting more and more strict over the years (based on a plan in my opinion to make people used to living strictly controlled lifes)
it will not surprise me when the time will be up for highway patrol robotic aircrafts to blow drivers up because they farted too loudly.

kwn306 said:
I have to agree with GuzziMoto, there are more accidents on the Beltway in Maryland around Washington DC that are caused by squids and the people in the cages are the ones that end up dead, not the squid. **** It's clowns like this that give the rest of us a bad name and cause accidents that kill Innocent people. ****

I am no highway saint, and one person's "reasonable speed under the conditions" is another's "hooliganism." I also think cops are human and have hard jobs. The real bottom line about law enforcement is that (the whole revenue issue aside) is that most law-enforcement agencies respond to public criticism (via elected officials, media, or direct outcry from citizens) in their enforcement policies. In other words, it is the rare and rogue cop, and almost never LE agncy -- if for limited resources, if nothing else -- that "targets" certain conduct on whim and caprice.

Loud pipes disrupting neighborhoods, wheelies at 100+, inconsiderate riding, all have a price. As in the incident mentioned above, it was not "bad cops" at work, but cagers who 9-1-1'ed these guys.

Again, I'm, no saint, and just nolo'ed a double-yellow ticket ... which would have been a "super-speeder" violation, too, if the cop had not shown mercy and I not polite, etc. But, I do think that many of the seemingly draconian responses -- at least systemic ones, not just by individual police officer -- are "our" fault as motorcyclists.

I'll save comment on the "revenue" matter for another day ... when I have a Peroni (or two) handy. :whistle:

Regards,

Bill

He got what he deserved? Excuse me? What he deserved was to be prosecuted to the letter of the law in a lawful and professional manner. Unless you think that police should be judge, jury & executioner. That leads to the attitude that got the deaf guy beat down essentially because he was deaf & some asshole criminal cops think they have the right to administer "justice", to be above the law. I have no problem being respectful of law enforcement that demonstrates they are deserving. Law enforcement that is unable to be professional & a servant of the law deserves to get punishment appropriate to their actions, as they directly cause disrespect for the law and more professional law enforcement every bit as much as asshole bikers cause problems for the rest of us. I have no problem holding LEO's to a high standard-or taking in to consideration to some extent that they may have been provoked-but only as long as their transgressions are relatively minor. If they are unable to consistently adhere to a high standard, than they are undeserving of respect, or of wearing the badge. Period.

The guy on the bike tried to run from the cops, twice. Plus he wasn't just speeding, he was riding like a total moron. Most of the idiots around here that ride like that not only will run from the cops but they seem to think it is a game. Yet they cause innocent people to get hurt and/or killed.
The cop did nothing except pull his gun. That is normal "professional" behavior from a cop around here (that is why the carry them, to pull them out on people who break the law). No deaf guys were beaten and no one was shot. His civil rights weren't even violated.

Appears as though he's being charged with violating state wiretapping laws. I'm sure even a first year law student will have a field day defending against that. Even if a judge overlooks the fact that Anthony had no intent on "wiretapping" the conversation, the video clearly shows that the officer gave him no chance to stop the recording prior to receiving consent.

I can't see any prosecutor that would want to risk his reputation trying that case.

It would be interesting to see if the cop is being investigated for his actions. It does seem like a little overzealous reaction.

Cory

"The cop did nothing except pull his gun."

Pull his gat? Dude, the guy whipped out his pistola without showing his stinking badge and waved it around. Who was this guy? He never identified himself. This would scare the crap out of anyone.
Escape? From what? A nutter with a gun?
This is unprofessional. The evidence is in the effort to conceal the video and the the way he tried to hide his gun from his coworkers in the real police car.
Yes the biker was an asshole, but the cop, as usual, in my book, proved himself to be a bigger one.

I am far from anti police and will call 911 in a heartbeat if in pearl, but this brave boy in blue was over the top.
He was pissed off for a very good reason, but as a professional law enforcement officer, blew it big time.

By the by, how did anyone like the other stuff on this fellows blog site?

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/32/3227.asp

Maryland Attorney General Upholds Right to Video Traffic Stops
Maryland attorney general rules that state police were wrong to charge motorist with felony for recording his traffic stop.

---
Done deal, I'd say.

The biker DID infuriate me in an interview I saw basically acting as if he had done nothing wrong and didnt understand why he was stopped. That might have been his lawyers advice to be like that but he came across as an arrogant twunt.

I'm not saying he was in the wrong for video taping the stop, and trying to charge him with that was stupid. But when you poke the bear with a stick (I think the first video he posted was only of the stop without showing him riding like a squid), sometimes the bear tries to eat you.
But this is what I saw watching the video. The dude on the bike was riding like a squid, pulling a wheelie through traffic at more then double the posted speed limit. He saw the cops coming up behind him, both a marked car and an unmarked car. He tried to bail onto an exit ramp, but the one he picked had a light and was backed up so it did not work out. One cop car (the unmarked car) pulled up in front of him and the other pulled up behind him. As the front cop got out the guy on the bike tried to back up, presumably so he could take off, and the cop immediately pulled his gun. That is what cops are supposed to do. The guy stopped trying to run. He put his gun away. It worked.
Oh, and here is a tip, if someone gets out of a police car (marked or unmarked) and pulls a gun on you, until you determine otherwise, I would work under the assumption that he is a cop. And if there is a marked police car behind you then the odds are that the other guy is a cop.
Now the guy should be charged with reckless driving and what not. The bit about taping the officers voice without his permission is silly, but it is normally against the law here to tape a conversation without consent. But again, if you poke the bear with a stick you are not going to be treated the same as a person who pulled over immediately and did not try to antagonize the cop. And to expect otherwise is unrealistic. Cops are not saints, they are people (yes, often a-holes) with a nasty job to do where people sometimes try to kill them or others, and when it goes wrong they always seem to be the ones who get the blame.
The guy got what he deserved.

My opinion is...

Yes, he should have been arrested. Yes, he looked like he was going to run again and the cop had the right and perhaps the responsibility to pull the gun. If he hadn't stopped the chase and that biker had gone on to kill someone then he would have felt like ****.

On the other hand, the cop should have handled it more professionally, with his badge ready to go before he got out of the car. And the wiretapping charge is just nuts. That reeks of a kneejerk reaction to it being posted on PooTube, and has caused the police no end of negative rep.

So, its basically a mistake in the traffic stop (or perhaps poorly carried out due to the stress of the situation). Things happen. The biker's total ambivalence to the danger he put himself and others shows a stunning level of stupidity.

The media is trying to hype it all up. The cop never pointed his gun at the biker, the guys civil rights were not violated. How does the cop know that the dude isnt on the run from some crime he has committed? He acted as he saw fit in order to shut down the pursuit. If it takes showing a Glock to do that, then jobs a good'un.

Back