• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

mpg and volume help

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm interested in increasing the range on my 07 griso w/ 5000 miles on the odo. I got avg 29.7 mpg on my last fill up. Going to bring to dealer soon to do a tune up, as I bought it second hand and just feel better getting the fuel system and valves checked out by someone who knows these bikes.

I'm going to be asking the dealer what's up with the low mileage and what he suggests I do.

Another question I have is how do you guys get more gas in the tank. I'm not used to the small filler hole present on the Griso. It seems like you have to jam the nozzle deep in the hole, leaving excessive air space. I tried to fill the tank with the nozzle only in about a centimeter and as you might have guessed, some gas splattered out. Any ideas here? I'd really like to increase the range on this bike if I can.

Get the dealer to reset the TPS.

Have a little patience. With only 500 miles on the clock, the motor must be still tight. Check again in about 10,000 miles.

I use a McCuff collar on fill up. The one I have has a flat side so it fits with the hinged gas cap. Put nozzle half way in fill and wait for click. It fills to neck every time except when the nozzle is defective.

grimace said:
It fills to neck every time except when the nozzle is defective.

And then what happens, gas spills over tank like Niagara Falls? Looks like a good product for getting the most gas in the tank as possible.

You know, the McCuff looks good, but some reviewers aren't that pleased with it. I'm considering cutting a piece of Plexiglas to go over the filler and sealing the circumference with something rubbery. Next, I can drill the filler nozzle hole in the middle. This way I can see what's going on in there, reviewers say they can't see under McCuff and that causes problems. And now I would be able to squeeze a few times to get more gas in and the Plexiglas can prevent the splashing.

This design would solve two problems, first, the sight thing. Second, It could be slid in your pocket easier than that huge piece of plastic. I don't want to put saddlebags on my Griso and I'm going to hang that little bag off it somewhere? Not gonna happen. Big plastic thing would bulge in pocket too much.

Worse case scenario, I can just carry a wipe or two to clean any splashing, but that's sucky. I don't really care about getting in that much gas in the tank riding around town, but on a multi-day trip and my current low mileage I don't want to stop every hour for gas. I do appreciate the responses so far, thanks.

My fill method: With the nozzle inserted about an inch through the tank filler, I fill up fast until the pump handle clicks off. Next I pull the nozzle out and hold it an angle so I can see the end of it and fill up SLOWLY, watching the fuel pour in the whole time. Very easy to see when you reach the bottom of the filler ring and shut off. Gives max fill every time with no splash-back. I'm pretty comfortable going up to 170 miles with mixed riding from a fill, but will typically stop for fuel within 25 miles of the low fuel light coming on (I'm consistently at 44 - 47 mpg). Haven't been stranded yet.

Goodvibes said:
My fill method: With the nozzle inserted about an inch through the tank filler, I fill up fast until the pump handle clicks off. Next I pull the nozzle out and hold it an angle so I can see the end of it and fill up SLOWLY, watching the fuel pour in the whole time. Very easy to see when you reach the bottom of the filler ring and shut off. Gives max fill every time with no splash-back. I'm pretty comfortable going up to 170 miles with mixed riding from a fill, but will typically stop for fuel within 25 miles of the low fuel light coming on (I'm consistently at 44 - 47 mpg). Haven't been stranded yet.

I use the exact same fill method. Averaging about the same mileage too.

Yeah if the pump is defective it will overflow like you describe. Happened once at a ratty gas station. So I just pay attention once it hits 3 gallons. Usually filled with 3.2-3.4 gallons. Bought it for my vespa but it didn't work for that application. The little bag fits right on the handle bar under the clock. Doesnt block anything. We don't have the funny hose attachment here in Mich. so I'm not sure how it fares with those. I have one of those thirsty Grisos light goes on around 106 miles.

I often fill the Griso from cans in my garage. Obviously not when out and needing gas. But I use a short funnel with an opening that only takes up about half the tank fill opening. The funnel makes it easier to get the maximum amount of gas into the tank without splash back. Filling with the funnel works best when you create a venturi effect and the gas swirls downs the funnel. Quick, easy and complete fill ups.

Mark

Back