• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MSF Military SportBike RiderCourse (MSRC)

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
As many of you know, motorcycle safety is a big deal in the U.S. military, and for good reason.

Recent reports show that more soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines are being killed in motorcycle accidents than in combat, i.e., that overdone saying, "in harm's way," is not only in Iraq or Afghanistan, but, e.g., Fort Bragg, Mayport, Vandenberg, and TwentyNine Palms, etc.

Commanders have tried many ways to stop the bleeding. Many would ban motorcycles outright if they could. They and some well-meaning-but-ignorant others do all sorts of additional rules that vary from military installation to installation, thus burdening military and visiting motorcyclists with confusing, draconian, and often-senseless requirements. It's even worse when the commanders think of themselves as "riders," when most of these might own a motorcycle, shine chrome, and ride in costumed-convoys for a few miles, but ride? Not so much.

There is a bright spot in the mess, the MSF Military SportBike RiderCourse (MSRC), which actually attempts to reach the young (and some few older) military riders of sport bikes who are killing themselves right and left.

Well, I don't fit the targeted demographic, but I am now an official grad of this course.

First, here's some basic info about the course, which is loosely based (with permission and video intro, on Nick Ienatsch's (very fine) book, "Sport-Riding Techniques: How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track
Here are some basics on the course:

https://safety.army.mil/Portals/povmoto ... _Sheet.pdf

So ... I went to NAS Atlanta/Dobbins AB on the NW side of Atlanta earlier this week.

I was somewhat dubious of a sport-bike rider course that did not "get on the street," but came away impressed. I would encourage all riders, even non-sportbike riders if space available, to attend if they can. I understand that MSF is fielding a "civilian" version, too.

As with other MSF (and other m/c) courses, the MSRC involves classroom time and on-two-wheels time. In our case, predicted -- and the weather folks got that one right; I got soaked on way home -- thunderstorms caused the instructors (oops, RiderCoach Trainers; the MSF is so touchy-feely these days!) to flip-flop the order, so we did the riding first. I found it a much more "real life" set of drills than the BRC or ERC provided, and, again, given the restricted venue of 120' x 220' with run-off, that is pretty remarkable.

I cannot say I learned anything startlingly new in the sense that I had not heard it before somewhere, but I can say that the course packaged and presented lots of information in a way that made it fit together well. And, as an example, will say that one technique I thought was impracticable on my Norge because of ergos -- keeping balls of feet on foot pegs when not covering controls -- will work. I had only tried that a few times on my own before, and had discounted the advantages it gives one, in conjunction with leaning forward and in on turns, in directional control. "Forced" to do it in the range exercises, I came to see its value as I had not before. That is but one example; there were others.

The quick-stop exercise was also pretty revealing. The Norge has ABS. While I don't want to tempt the fates, I will say that it is hard to screw up straight-line stops with ABS. May not be impossible, but it is almost that to lock up either wheel. Think it even impressed the instructors, which is not something my stops might have done without ABS.

Think normal rider count for this course is 12, but there were some "no shows," with the result being only 4 riders. With two RCT's, that meant a 1 to 2 ratio, which was great for us. Our "instructors" were Andrew "Smitty" Smith from Fort McPherson and Larry DeLong, a retired USN fellow from Mayport. Both were very capable, competent, and congenial, and I think everybody (including the RCT's, tho they see lots of these) had a good time.

The only negative I found with the course -- besides the probably unrealistic wish that it could have some road or track component -- was that the "wrong riders" were there. Granted, the Atlanta Army is not a major troop concentration with lots of teen and twenty-somethings on 187-mph out-of-the box liter bikes, tho one of the attendees came close to that description. I loathe "mandatory training," but not sure we'll ever get the needy target audience to attend in the absence of requiring the course. And the training will do more good, IMO, than all the varying (and stupid PPE and other harassing) rules at every post, camp, and station I mentioned at the outset.

Oh, pix? A few are here: http://www.tinyurl.com/MSBRC-May-2009. Hit "slideshow."

EDIT: Hmmmmmmm. Try this if the above url is a dead end (and you care! :p ]

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/BillKat ... eat=email# or http://www.picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred ... feat=email

Bill

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I took this course recently as well, at the Joint Forces Military Training Base at Los Alamitos, Calif. And wrote about it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... ders_N.htm

I took the course on my Ballabio with a few other journalists and some Black Hawk pilots, enlisted men, etc. I found it worthwhile. There is a significant classroom component aimed at getting riders to think about risks and match risktaking with skill levels. There is also a laudable effort to try to make wearing proper gear cool for younger riders by emphasizing a heavy association with track stars. On the range, they try to impart some advanced cornering skills such as trail braking and leaning off the bike -- not knee dragging though. Of course they work on straight line braking. The speeds, while not track speeds, are faster than the MSF basic and advanced courses. There are also some drills on merging traffic and situational awareness.

Basem Wasef took the course with me and was able to write a little more detailed, motorcyclist-oriented piece than my general audience permits. Here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... 17206.html

Look for more articles about this upcoming. I know Sport Rider magazine was there.

Also, the Motorcycle Industry Council and MSF are planning to make this course available for civilians starting perhaps as early as this summer.

Bill

shame the pdf link to the military seems to be broken.
Glad you enjoyed the course, i am looking forward to seeing the curriculum.

I generally always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, but the downside to Norge ownership is the way the peg mounts bulge out behind the pegs. Makes you kind of kick your heels out. that, and when carrying a passenger, it's impossible to get on the balls of your feet, passenger feet are in the way.

Cronkite wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I took this course recently as well, at the Joint Forces Military Training Base at Los Alamitos, Calif. And wrote about it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... ders_N.htm

I took the course on my Ballabio with a few other journalists and some Black Hawk pilots, enlisted men, etc. I found it worthwhile. There is a significant classroom component aimed at getting riders to think about risks and match risktaking with skill levels. There is also a laudable effort to try to make wearing proper gear cool for younger riders by emphasizing a heavy association with track stars. On the range, they try to impart some advanced cornering skills such as trail braking and leaning off the bike -- not knee dragging though. Of course they work on straight line braking. The speeds, while not track speeds, are faster than the MSF basic and advanced courses. There are also some drills on merging traffic and situational awareness.

Basem Wasef took the course with me and was able to write a little more detailed, motorcyclist-oriented piece than my general audience permits. Here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... 17206.html

Look for more articles about this upcoming. I know Sport Rider magazine was there.

Also, the Motorcycle Industry Council and MSF are planning to make this course available for civilians starting perhaps as early as this summer.

Bill

Many thanks; both very fine pieces. About the only thing I might quarrel a bit with in yours was the line "Rather than try to curtail motorcycle riding, the military is pushing training courses on troops who ride."

I agree that this course is evidence of that, but motorcycling is hardly favored. Every military duchy has a different rule. For example, ride in DoD PPE and try to enter a military installation. Many have additional requirements and the result is a patchwork quilt of harassing rules that do discourage motorcycling. I also find it ironic that soldiers must follow the DoD/Army (at least) rules 24/7, on and off military installations, but are told that motorcycles are personal choices thus all mandated "safety" equipment (including those varying rules) are a personal burden.

I am, however, very pleased with this sport-bike rider course. No course is a cure-all, of course. I understand that an attendee at the course before mine died in an "rider-at-(serious) fault" motorcycle accident within a few weeks of the training. :(

g®eg wrote:
shame the pdf link to the military seems to be broken.
Glad you enjoyed the course, i am looking forward to seeing the curriculum.

I generally always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, but the downside to Norge ownership is the way the peg mounts bulge out behind the pegs. Makes you kind of kick your heels out. that, and when carrying a passenger, it's impossible to get on the balls of your feet, passenger feet are in the way.

Hmmmmm. Try pasting that pdf url in; still works for me; don't think it's encrypted or anything.

Thanks re peg comment; had wondered if I was only one who found that aspect of Norge peg placement curious.

Bill

Bill, The brass I talked to seemed aware of one of the problems you reference -- different regs covering motorcycling at different bases or regions of the same branch of service. The military, or at least the Navy and Marines, is trying to address that and hopes to have some uniformity eventually, they said.

Bill,

I only get three pictures on the last two links. The titles for the pictures are there, but not the pictures. The first link, as you suggested, doesn't work at all.

Michael

Back