• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My 1st Guzzi

Mc Tool

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi there , being sorta new to Guzzis (but not to bikes )I thought I'd check you out .I read with interest the posts re gear boxes.
I guess a bit of history is in order
Brother in law bought the bike ( a 1974 850t) as a non runner and chucked in a shed where it languished ( and rusted ) for 10 odd years. Every year at family meetings I accused him of wilful neglect of a motorbike :eek: and the like , anyhow , I think more to shut me up than any real wish to see it going, he gave it to my wife ( the bastard :D :twisted: :cool: :lol:) .We had to use hedgecutters to free the bike from the jasmine that had grown up thru everything .... on the inside of the shed !
apparently the guy who owned it spent a bomb rebuilding the motor, which only went a couple of hundred yards and stopped. ( recept dating 1992 for over 3k were eventually given to me ).What I found upon dissassembly was indeed a newly , fully reconed motor ............ that had been horribly botched. The heads were ok, the cylinders had been sleeved and fitted with t3 pistons which had not been given the required clearance and had siezed ( the hundred yards ) , it gets better. With this thing in bits on my bench I see that the "new" big end shells were lookin sad, so was all the angle grinder marks on the end of the crank pin ( opposite end to the screw in plug ), the plug was removed and it was noted that the void in the crank pin was full of abrasive crud from where the crank had been ground 30 thou and not cleaned out .Attempts were made to ballance the crank, ( when I 1st started the motor it vibrated so bad it shook the relays out of thier holders ). The guy who re ballanced the crank said it was 90 grams out.
New pistons ,berrings , crank sorted and cylinders honed, carbs kitted and a dyna module and coils and all is good ,motor wise The frame ect was all stripped and painted . No attempt was made to keep it original .all the chrome was to rusty to save so it got painted . suzuki blinkers yamaha switches , chinese mufflers . Now its the gearbox's turn . Posts advising a new return spring and a reshimed selector drum explain some of my symptoms , but I fear there maybe a few knackered berrings in there too. Wildly different to my Dukes, but Im really enjoying a change ( getting older too, plus nearly killing myself , actually it was the guy in the car, and Im slowing down a bit )

Congrats, and first, welcome to the wonderful world of Guzzi (& Famiglia!).
What a journey you are having, but often those are the best kind as you probably know.

Trans; yes, a return spring is a good idea if you are in there, and for shimming, see; https://www.guzzitech.com/Gearboxes2-roper.html

Pete Roper can help you to improve the bearings as well. Perhaps he'll catch this.

Post some more pictures (or send them to me direct e-mail if you need help in doing so).

Again welcome, and post often.

Thanks GT-Rx I have read Pete Ropers dissertation , and Im sure it will be helpful. I managed to post the 1st pic easily but am having a spot of bother with others . Will try again
DSC00917.jpg

I made a bracket to hold the coils, module and reg ( as you can see .... yay !!)

I see you have one of those horrible cable splitters in your throttle setup. You will never get a good synchronization of the carbs until you get rid of it and use individual cables from the twist grip to the carbs. If you don't have a Tomaselli 2c or similar, they show up on e-bay occasionally. You should be able to buy stock cables looking at the vintage of your bike.

I like that cable splitter :D and anyhow Im stuck with it as the throttle twistgrip is part of the rh switch block,but ( and I am clever enough not to get into an argument with some one who probly knows more than me )I actually thought it worked Quite well . I have a set of mercury coloum vacuum gauges which tell me that Idle and off idle settings are good and so far have not needed adjusting since the initial tuning. I did "dress " the throttle slides where the idle screws bear on them( shoulda just swapped em side to side ).
There are a lot of bits that dont belong on this bike, the thing is that we were given the bike, and decided that we would follow the free theme, I stripped it all down and then , on the 14 june 09, whilst on my sunday ride
ducati20010.jpg
( it dont look like this no more :cry: , I rode over the brow of a hill and slammed into some wanker doing a u turn, very nearly killed me , so the " fix the Guzzi on a shoe string " theme became our only option, and parts were scrounged from wherever.
metalbones_0015.jpg

metalbones_0013.jpg

ha ha , I have scrap value :lol:

Ouch,

Can you get through airport security? That is a great deal of hardware. Surgical steel/titanium isn't cheap. Your scrap value may be more than the Guzzi!!

Hello Mc Tool,

Very interested in your story and experience, must say the x-rays were shocking, I've spilled
plenty of oil but no blood with old motorcycles.
As my wife insists that my middle name is Cheap, your bike-on-a-budget thing is simply
irresistable, and I invite you to read and comment on my "Amals on '74 Eldorado" post.
I hope this is how to direct attention to my questions, if not, please advise.
I haven't yet figured out how to post my FIRST picture of a bike, so please excuse the intrusion
here if this is not how it works.
Thanks, tomatweedo

Hi Tomatweedo,I have read your post re the amals , but by the time I did ( working at the other end of the country ) others , more knowledgable than I had replied. The "bike on a budget" thing, mmmmmm owning and maintaining Ducati's taught me that there are often cheaper and better alternatives to some factory parts, and forums like this can provide much valuable info. Good advice is worth more than sunshine :)

if its your first guzzi - it may not be your last... :D
good luck with it, tho it sounds like a bit of a basket case you've obviously got some wrenching skills..

Mc Tool said:
... Good advice is worth more than sunshine :)
check out guzziology available at motointernational.com

Yeah! I could easily get another, one of them Doc Whitner look alike things , a 1992 daytona 1000,( you'd almost think plans were afoot , and any seasoned motorcycle addict will already be recognising the onset of this mania, but Di..... nah , she wont know till she trips over it in the garage :) )

Back