• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My first Guzzi - 1yr 35,000 miles later.

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
In two days it will be exactly 1 year since purchasing my Griso 8V.
In that year I have managed to put 35,000 miles on it.
So the verdict is; I like it ! :)

Being that I have been riding Japanese sportbikes since the mid 80's.
It took a little getting use to a bike that had actual handle bars and no rear-sets.
For the first few thousand miles; whenever the Griso hit it's powerband near redline.
I kept feeling like I was going to fall of the back.

But that feeling is now mostly gone.
It only reappears on a Monday after doing a trackday or a raceday with my race bike; an SV650S with Woodcraft clip-ons and rear-sets.

Comparing the Griso to my previous 2000 GSXR750.
At normal street speeds; my usual 10 to 20 mph over most posted limits.
I really don't see much difference in performance.
The way the Griso handles you would not know it's 100 lbs heavier than my GSXR.
For daily riding the only thing the Griso lacks when compared to the GSXR. Is the amount of acceleration.
And I only miss that acceleration about 10% of the time. Like pulling out onto a crowded interstate during rush hour.
With the GSXR it was simply a matter of twisting the throttle and getting to 80mph in first gear in just a couple seconds.
Whereas with the Griso it takes a couple more seconds and a couple gear shifts.

Don't get me wrong; the Griso is no slouch. It's acceleration will still impress you.
In many ways it feels like a faster version of my '86 Limited Edition GSXR750R.
For being an air-cooled V-Twin; it's got a really nice horsepower rush near it's redline.
And yet still has a huge amount of low rpms torque. And huge amount mid-range torque and horsepower.
In fact I would say the power delivery of the Griso 8V's motor is perfect for the street.

What the Griso lacks in performance compared to my GSXR; it more than makes up for in maintenance.
All I've been doing is changing the oils; motor, gearbox, and shaftdrive (CARC); every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
And checking the valves every 6k miles.
With those jugs sticking out in the open; valve checks are so much easier than any other motorcycle I have ever owned.

At this time in the life of my GSXR; it had left me stranded in the middle of Manhattan 60 miles away from home. Due to a burnt out stator.

Don't get me wrong. The Griso is not without it's flaws.
It's horn and high/low beam switches are in very awkward positions.
For the first 10,000 miles I was constantly giving people angry turn signal cancellations instead of the horn.
The high/low switch requires a nearly complete removal of your grip on the handlebar to switch between high and low beams.
The automatic fast-idle (aka choke) appears to have failed. Causing me to manually elevate it's idle with the throttle in cold (ie 40 degrees F or lower) weather for the first minute or two.
But I haven't looked into that yet. It may be a simple fix.
Besides I've had other vehicles on which the automatic fast-idle never worked quite right.

The biggest complaint I have about the Griso is it's suspension.
It's under sprung and over damped.
Half of it's travel is used just sitting static. And it gives a very harsh ride on less than perfect roads.
In fact on Thanksgiving Eve I hit a pothole while changing lanes.
And this bent both front and rear wheels; and split the sidewall of the front tire.
But to be fair; this very same pothole may have damaged any motorcycle. Because it bounces 18 wheelers.

Even with these flaws; the Griso still has me grinning from ear-to-ear every time I go for a ride.

Here's how it now looks:
(Badly in need of a washing. Sorry but I'd rather ride than bathe it. :) )

pc080025.jpg

pc080026.jpg

pc080027.jpg

--ET

The suspension is fully adjustable so it's just a matter or making the right changes.
I just went over mine and even took it to the track two weeks ago.
Totally different bike and I was hammering around the the course, lol.
This bike did a lot better than I thought for its weight and even one of the instructors there, was impressed.

I so agree with you... That mill is perfect for the street and simply a dream in the mountains, where you rely on torque.

Enjoy your Griso for many more miles to come.

Well worth having a tinker with the suspension settings, it makes a big difference to your enjoyment of the bike. I increased the rear preload and backed off the damping half a turn, and the ride quality is far better now.

As for your sentiments on owning and riding the bike I totally agree. I've got an 1100, so the speed differential between it and my regular staple of jap litre bikes is even greater. But you know, it just doesn't matter, and I've not missed the big power at all. The Griso is such a happy, willing bike, with a personality akin to a labrador puppy, that it never fails to put a smile on my face. And as an added bonus, of all the many bikes I've owned, my non-biking mates all think this is the sexiest bike I've shown them. You can't argue with that!

ET, congrats, nice work. 35k in the first year meant you were certainly enjoying it. I got 50k on my first Guzzi in the first year, which I still own, love, and will never sell. As you'll continue to hear, Guzzi is an addiction.
Spend the money on suspension. Outside of tires, it's your only connection to the road. Happy to give you some direction of my offerings if you're interested. Contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks Todd; email sent.
While I may not have the $$ at the moment. Perhaps I will come Spring.

ett said:
The automatic fast-idle (aka choke) appears to have failed. Causing me to manually elevate it's idle with the throttle in cold (ie 40 degrees F or lower) weather for the first minute or two.
But I haven't looked into that yet. It may be a simple fix.
Besides I've had other vehicles on which the automatic fast-idle never worked quite right.

Not sure if this applies to 8V motors, but I solved my idle problem on my '07 with a manual shut off valve. See thread here: https://www.guzzitech.com/component/jm ... html?f=163

Back