• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My GRISO Clutch Problem

Mark111

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have had an ongoing issue with the clutch on my Griso since I bought it, in that the operation intermittently ranged from good to poor with the result that the extremely good gearshift I had heard of for this model had rarely been evident.
After a number of attempts fiddling with the master cylinder including bleeding the system and adjusting the master cylinder pushrod and also fitting different levers I figured I needed another point of view.

I contacted Pete Roper who has worked on my bike and which holds a special place in his heart, (private joke) we organised for me to ride down so we could attack the problem.
The symptoms were a sometimes spongy lever, gears clashing and the shift notchy and at times difficulty finding neutral. An obvious indication that the clutch was binding. This was however countered by an occasion where the clutch started slipping ferociously in the middle of a ride for no apparent reason. Obviously not an indication of a binding clutch.

The initial course of action taken by Pete was to have a look at the hydraulic system as this is obviously critical to proper clutch actuation and also the easiest component to access.
After some initial problems bleeding the system there was a thought that the master cylinder was defective but some ongoing evaluation established this was not the case. We proceeded to inspect the remainder of the hydraulic system including the slave cylinder and the thrust mechanism and pushrod.
After determining the whole hydraulic system was in fact sound the thoughts turned to a defective clutch assembly which was a daunting prospect due to the work involved and the likelihood of an unplanned overnight stay at the local motel or pub.

However prior to embarking on the mammoth task of pulling the clutch apart Pete took a step back to have another think about the problem. The bike has only 16,000 km on the speedo, the 8v Griso clutch has a reputation of being trouble free and seems to be bullet proof and I have never a cooked a clutch in my life on a multitude of cars and bikes some of which have had 200,000 km on the clock.

After examining the parts of a new clutch assembly he had in stock and how it operated Pete concluded the sometimes bizarre operation of mine was just not consistent with the clutch assembly failing.

This led us to have another look at the hydraulics where we eventually discovered that the adjustable pushrod pin in the lever that actuates the master cylinder piston was not secured correctly and could be adjusted readily without the need to loosen the locking grubscrew.
Further investigation confirmed that by adjusting the pin we were able to reinstate the correct operation of the hydraulic clutch mechanism which solved the problem of the clutch not releasing cleanly.
Once we established that this was the route cause of the problem the next question was how come the clutch had varied so much from day to day without any outside intervention.
By a process of elimination it was determined that the tiny grub screw which was supposed to lock the master cylinder pushrod pin in place was abnormally loose allowing the adjustable pushrod to wind itself in and out due to the vibration of the bike. This altered the operating travel of the master cylinder piston causing the clutch to sometimes only partially release and also on one occasion cause the clutch to slip.

As I was previously unaware of this grubscrew until Pete pointed it out I had never realised it was not locking the pushrod in place and explained why my previous adjustments only resulted in temporary improvement. Once the pushrod was reset to the correct freeplay and then correctly locked in place allied to the updated thrust component (https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/196/7725.html ) we put in because we had it apart anyway the clutch and gearbox began to operate to a standard I had never previously experienced.
This fix has transformed the clutch and gearbox to one which I can now say is the sweetest shifting gearbox I have ever experienced.

Moral of the story – if you are having clutch issues on your Griso or another model with the same clutch lever/master cylinder ensure your clutch master cylinder pushrod is adjusted to the correct clearance and make sure the locking grubscrew is secured correctly.

Attachments

• DSCF0322.JPG
    DSCF0322.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 1,197
  • DSCF0308.JPG
    DSCF0308.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 1,191
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep this little set/grub screw in mind :)

Phang

Hi MarkIII,
:blink:
what I noticed, it is not the original Guzzi Handle?
Is the "actuator" (pushrod pin) the original, or also aftermarket?

Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi MarkIII,
:blink:
what I noticed, it is not the original Guzzi Handle?
Is the "actuator" (pushrod pin) the original, or also aftermarket?

Ad B

Usually have to transfer the actuator rod to the new or replacement lever, The length measurement is critical and should equal the old lever setting. The tightening of the grub screw is as equally important.

Ad,
The Pushrod and pivot pin it screws in to is the original item from the standard lever.
Before installing the new short levers I measured the two parts to confirm they matched, the dimensions are exactly the same so the problem was not lever related.
I realise now that it is solved, that this problem was evident from when I first bought the bike with 1100 km on the speedo with standard levers.
When I changed the lever I didn't have to undo the grubscrew as it was obviously loose, so I never realised it existed until it was pointed out by Pete.
I measured the length of the pushrod in the standard lever before I pulled it apart presuming it was in the correct position and used loctite on the thread. It was quite firm at first but it was probably the wrong length judging by how the clutch works now. Obviously over the period of time (10,000 km later) it has worked loose enough for it to move even though it still seemed secure enough. Now that the grubscrew is tight it does not move at all with the result that the clutch operation is perfect, I've done 1500 km since it was fixed.
Mark

I know I'm all kinds of late on this thread, but is there a starting length if you aren't sure what it should be? I think mine vibrated out of adjustment.

Back