• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My Stelvio Engine

PAL55

Just got it firing!
Hi Guys
I've had my Stelvio now for a little over 2 weeks, and while I am new to the Guzzi brand and not familiar with the characteristics of the engines, I have a gut feeling something isn't right.
I have done 550 mls to date and while running in have kept the revs to 4k max, as you approach the 4k mark the engine seems to misfire, its like a rev limiter coming in, took it up to 4.5k today and its still there if any thing it feels gutless especially for a 1200cc.
I have also ridden the bike at a steady 3000 rpm in both 5th and 6th gears and the engine runs very unevenly, surging forward etc.
So have I got a potential problem or is it me? Or is it something related to my oil leak. (see previous posting) I know the test bike I drove didn't feel like this because if it did I wouldn't have bought one.I would take it back to my dealer but he is 140 mls away and I was hoping to get enough miles on before going back so I could have the first service done.
Your input would be appreciated.
Cheers
PAL

If I am reading this right it sounds a lot like the surging issue others have mentioned having. Apparently a new fueling map is available for the Stelvio, but my dealer has told me the 09 Stelvios and Grisos cannot be updated with this new map.

These sound exactly like the symptoms on my new 09 Stelvio.

Does anyone know for sure if the new map can be applied to an 09?

I would suggest something is amiss.. I have 2100Km on mine and experience nothing like you describe. I too am new to Guzzi and therefore can't offer guidance but something ain't right.

cgalardi wrote:
If I am reading this right it sounds a lot like the surging issue others have mentioned having. Apparently a new fueling map is available for the Stelvio, but my dealer has told me the 09 Stelvios and Grisos cannot be updated with this new map.

Take a look at this thread. https://www.guzzitech.com/index.php?op ... 0&id=16501 If your bike doesn't have the latest map it can be updated. With the new 8 valve bikes you just can't go back to the old map if you don't like the new one like you can with the 4 valve bikes. I don't really know why since it is the same ECU. It may be a function of the Axone/Navigator programming.

The new maps are for the 09 models, YOU CAN NOT UPDATE MAP ON THE 08 MODEL, because the ECU & the camshafts are new on the 09. If your dealer can not update you 09 bike, you have discover it is a 08 model.

the new maps are:

STA42Z NON ABS MODEL
STA42ZA ABS MODEL

Antonio Alday
Guatemala

cgalardi wrote:

My USA 09 model was updated. Cured the surging.
I failed to write the before and after firmware numbers down.
It looked like the update was a one way street, no going back.

Your dealer is confused, or you have the latest maps already.

Thanks Wayne. I am hoping he is confused. Mine is a USA 09 model as well, VIN ZGULZC0069M112504 so I hope it can be updated. I will check with the dealer here in FL.

cgalardi wrote:
Thanks Wayne. I am hoping he is confused. Mine is a USA 09 model as well, VIN ZGULZC0069M112504 so I hope it can be updated. I will check with the dealer here in FL.

The mechanic at the Scooter Superstore here in Fairburn Georgia knows how to do it.
I watched him do it and know for a fact that it DID accept the map upgrade. Nothing else was touched. The surge stopped.

Thanks again Wayne. I have a Saturday a.m. apptmt with Scooter Superstore here in Florida (Ormond Beach) and will let everyone knows how it goes. The bikes runs like a scalded dog at higher rpm but the low RPM surging/missing is pretty irritating.

Here's a pic by the way in the West Virginia Appalachians

P1040320.jpg

PAL55 wrote:
I would take it back to my dealer but he is 140 mls away and I was hoping to get enough miles on before going back so I could have the first service done.

Hey Pal, I would not panic and make major plans... nothing is seriously wrong IMO, just put some mileage on it and take it to your dealer at the first service armed with some info from here about the issue and talk to them about it.

The surging won't affect the running in - give it plenty of stick, don't baby the engine worrying about it.

Hi Pal55
I am with Mike, It's a bike engine: Run it in, dont pamper it.

At 4k revs you are only tickling the thing, give it some welly.
Power on and power off to run in the pistons on both sides increasing the revs on each run out.
You are nearly ready for the first service now, get out there, keep off the freeways get on the twistys, that way the gearbox and final drive will get run in aswell ;)

Oh and ride it like you nicked it :laugh:
You did know that the Red ones are the fastest :)

PS. Lets see some piccies

Loftyjohn

Antonio wrote:
The new maps are for the 09 models, YOU CAN NOT UPDATE MAP ON THE 08 MODEL, because the ECU & the camshafts are new on the 09. If your dealer can not update you 09 bike, you have discover it is a 08 model.

the new maps are:

STA42Z NON ABS MODEL
STA42ZA ABS MODEL

Antonio Alday
Guatemala

Depending on which thread you beleive in the latest update could be what is mentioned in the above quote or in this thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/index.php?op ... 0&id=16501.

Can someone clarify which is the most recent? My bike is headed to the dealer on Sat. for a non-start condition, also poor running and I want to make sure the latest and greatest update has been installed. My dealer is rather new so I have to help him along.

Kurt,

I just checked with my contact at Piaggio technical support. He states that the latest Stelvio map ends in 52. He also stated that if your dealer is unsure of anything, he should contact the regional technical rep. Good luck with your bike.

Thanks for verifying that John! I will hook mine up to the VDSTS tonight and see what version is on it now.

UPDATE:

Here is a screen shot showing the System Info on my 09 Stelvio from VDSTS. Looks like I am on version "18" software? If so seems kinda old?

vdsts1-1.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input please keep it coming. I will have suffient miles on the Stelvio after this weekend to book her in for the first service.
I have decided to take the bike to the dealer and leave it with him until the issues have been resolved. Its been a frustrating start to my Guzzi ownership, but I will persevere because I like the bike. Imagine when its running properly!! :)

john zibell wrote:
Kurt,

I just checked with my contact at Piaggio technical support. He states that the latest Stelvio map ends in 52. He also stated that if your dealer is unsure of anything, he should contact the regional technical rep. Good luck with your bike.

I verified with Wayne O. that the map reported by VDSTS on his 09 Stelvio, which has the latest update, is map version Part# = 2229STV8V52. This indicates that VDSTS does report the map version back the same as AXONE does.

Mine currently has Part # = 2229STV8V18. I am getting it upgraded this weekend and can't wait to see the results!

Don't keep the revs that low. All the bikes that use oil are ones that have een treated too gently during run in. Don't be afraid to take it up to 6.500 regularly with short bursts under heavy load higher than that. It'll help seat the rings.

All 2008-2009 Stelvios use the 'Full house' A5 motor same as the pre 2010 Griso 8V's. I've only seen 2009 Stelvios and Irritator, sorry, Navigator says no map upgrades for 2009 bikes.

2010 Griso's and Stelvios have the softer cammed A8 motor but interestingly in the cas eof the Griso they seem to use the same mapping as the earlier bikes. Go figure.

Another thing worth checking for the missing is whether the plug caps are arcing. Take the badges off the HT kead covers and then remove the covers, (Held on with 3mm allen screws.) Start the motor in a darkish environment and watch and listen for sparks arcing to earth. If the caps are rooted, (The originals are crap.) just replace them with a set of NGK SB05E's as mentioned in other threads.

Pete

Pal55: Something I found with my Stelvio was that as the miles rolled on the surging or whatever you want to call it gradually became less noticable. Noticable decrease around 3000 and 5000 km. Something else that affected the smoothness of the engine was , the idiot that had been working on it was balancing the throttle bodies using only the air bleed screws on the T/Bs. I synced 'em myself properly and reset the TPS... different bike. The stuttering at 3000 - say 4500 rpm is now barely noticeable. Could be worth a look.
FBC

I noticed a big improvement when the valves were adjusted properly as well. The "mechanic" that set mine the last time left much to be desired. :huh:

Back