• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need help from a European Stelvio owner or Todd

kwn306

High Miler
I am less than please with the rear tire wear on the Stelvio, 4500 miles on the USA roads and the thing is toast.

My Stelvio will have 30,000 miles a year put on it and at 4500 miles per tire that will be about 7 rear tires a year at about $160 a tire = $1120.00 just for a rear tires.

If I am able to use a Metzeler Tourance I will get me at least double the mileage at the same price. So I figure the cost of a new rear wheel will pay for itself in approx. 2 yrs. just on monies saved on tires.

My quest is to get a 4.5" NTX / TT rear wheel or the parts and supplies to make one.

My dealer has requested information from Guzzi USA and they tell him that the wheel in question is not DOT approved and can not be sold in the USA. I believe that is BS only because I have been told it is the same wheel manufacture, just 1" narrower.

Now can anyone in Europe get me the part numbers of the 4.5" complete wheel assembly? And maybe a dealer that would work with me to export one to Virginia, USA.

My other option would be just to purchase the 4.5" bare rim and have it placed / laced on my present hub. I would need to know if the spokes are the same between the two wheels as well, I am going to guess they would be the same but I do not know if these spokes are reuseable with the "O" ring design.

My dealer claims that he can not even look up parts for the NTX / TT so he can not supply me with the informtion I am requesting.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Or try Teo Lamers in Nederland - www.tlm.nl They speak perfect english of course.

or in the UK you have, amongst others, Corsa Italiana, who I know will ship to you.
www.corsaitaliana.com
Email Paul and Brian at sparesgb@corsaitaliana.com

As Exchange rates fluctuate, it might be worth checking both the UK, and European possibilities. In all cases you should be able to get a price free of our VAT.

Brace yourself for brutal UPS costs, and an import duty tax of about 10% collected by UPS in the form of a check at the time of delivery!! I just imported a set of the euro (Norge)-type hard bags for the Stelvio. UPS shipping was 230 euro ($320), and another $110 USD in import duty fees. total shipping cost was approximately $430.50!!!!! For an item that cost 530 euro ($738.60)

No wonder folks don't do this that often!!!!

Sure would be nice if US dealers could tack euro stuff on their regular orders, even if there was a back-order time associated with it!.

John in PA wrote:
Brace yourself for brutal UPS costs, and an import duty tax of about 10% collected by UPS in the form of a check at the time of delivery!! I just imported a set of the euro (Norge)-type hard bags for the Stelvio. UPS shipping was 230 euro ($320), and another $110 USD in import duty fees. total shipping cost was approximately $430.50!!!!! For an item that cost 530 euro ($738.60)

No wonder folks don't do this that often!!!!

Sure would be nice if US dealers could tack euro stuff on their regular orders, even if there was a back-order time associated with it!.

News flash!! A couple calls to UPS asking the right questions, and I found out that motorcycle side cases are supposed to be duty free!! So (in theory), according to the UPS supervisor, I will be getting a refund for $110 from UPS. I guess that's better than a nail in the foot...(or a "Hagan")

I have been working on this problem behind the scenes for months now, in the hope that when a Stelvio appears on our shores I won't be wasting prescious "bush" time...

So here is where I am at.

The idea is to get another standard hub from Guzzi, then send it to Woody's Wheel Works in the USA and he can lace on another custom made rim. Downside is that this will result in a tubed tyre which I am not a fan of, but tubes have been around for a long time and we can't have everything can we.

The alternative is to buy a different rim from Alpina (which I am told are available by the local tyre bloke who has them on his traile fitted with motards) and have them married together - I am not yet sure if this is possible.

But either way it will be an expensive decision.

I get parts out of Europe weekly (Moto Intl.). I could probably get you that wheel from the Stelvio NTX.

Greg Field wrote:
I get parts out of Europe weekly (Moto Intl.). I could probably get you that wheel from the Stelvio NTX.

Greg, I sent you a email through your web site. Kurt

Hi Gang

Kwn306 4,500 seems a litle skinny! I got 6,000 no probs out of the OEM Pirelli.

Are you squaring it off doing motorway mileage?

Also I must say you are putting your eggs in one basket with the Tourance, I had a pair on my At and got 6,000 out of a rear.
I think the Scorpian sync is a far better road tyre than the Tourance and I found the milage and cost very similar.

Loftyjohn

How many sets of tyres will it take to pay for that new wheel?

percival wrote:
Hi Gang

Kwn306 4,500 seems a litle skinny! I got 6,000 no probs out of the OEM Pirelli.

Are you squaring it off doing motorway mileage?

Also I must say you are putting your eggs in one basket with the Tourance, I had a pair on my At and got 6,000 out of a rear.
I think the Scorpian sync is a far better road tyre than the Tourance and I found the milage and cost very similar.

Loftyjohn

How many sets of tyres will it take to pay for that new wheel?

Yes, it is squaring off, big time, running 45 psi in the rear and 42 psi in the front. I do all two up highway to and from work. I figure that the wheel should be paid for in 2 yrs of driving or approx. 60K miles. If I can sell the stock wheel on eBay or to a forum member it will be less. If there is a Griso owner out there that wants spoked wheels this will be the ticket.

I have had very good luck with the mileage on the Tourance in the past on my GS. Never got less than 10K on the rear, usually 12 - 14K. The Pirelli is more expensive here in the USA, I guess because the Stelvio is the only one to use it. I also by my tires on line to save $$ and have a tire machine and balencer. Paid for those in 2yrs just changing friends tires at a reduced rate.

Back