• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need some sporty tires, my last set of D205's died

guzzi jon

High Miler
GT Contributor
I can no longer find them, and my extra set is now shagged. I can get them if I go a 120 on the front instead of a 110, but that would probably screw up the handling. What have you folks who embraced the Dunlop 205's switched to that give you the cornering confidence? Todd, Rich, Don, Jack etc? any suggestions?
thanks,

How about a set of Cheng Shen K-70 knock off's in a good old american size of 450x18 on the front and rear? I have no confidence problem's cornering on a set of giant donut's !

Jon, I put a set of the same model Pirelli Sport Demons that I have on the V50.

They are a little smaller than the Dunlops, and they probably won't last as long either.

But, they do feel great.

Naturally, YMMV.

-Jack
PS: Check your PMs.

Thanks Jack,
Like you, I look for near track capability, not mileage. I liked the way the 205's were predictable when they broke traction, I am looking for similar tires that let me know whats going on at the edge of traction. I've ridden tires that had good traction, then let go with no warning, not a good thing, the 205's were predictable. so, think I would go to far wrong with a 120 front? I know lupo goes fast on some Italian tires, but he's nuts....
Again, thanks for the input. I look at my tires as a life saving purchase, not something to run up miles on.... so I dont worry about mileage, I worry about my wife not hurting herself because I chose a cheap, high mileage tire.... most folks dont ride tonti's quickly, I consider my SS a track bike, I suspect many of you do as well
Thanks and keep the input coming
Jon

>>think I would go to far wrong with a 120 front?

I don't think the 120 would be a good setup on the stock 2.15" rim.

I believe that it would require a switch to a 3.5 X 18 rim to match the 120-series tire.

>>the 205's were predictable

I pretty much avoid the edge of traction, but since Sean Fader races on the Sport Demons, I'm thinking that they must work pretty well. I seem to recall some other folks who really swear by these.

I wonder of Todd or Richard has ever slidden around on the Sport Demons.

Of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before.

-Jack

Re:Need some sporty tires, my last set of D205's d

Go for the Yellow one.
tire-trackscolor-motorcycletire-pyramid-24950.jpg

Or one to suit your riding style.
product1.jpg

Chicks will dig you.
fat_chick_on_motorcycle.jpg

I like the Metzeler Tourance EXP on the rear of the EV. 150/70ZR17.

EXP01.jpg

And the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Sport Touring on the front. 110/80ZR18.

Metzeler-RoadtecZ6Front.gif

So far so good. The combo is right there with the D205 front D607 back.

The beefy Tourance comes in 140/80HR-17;

MetzelerTourance.jpg

I'm going to send the SS rear wheel to Woody's WW and have him put a 4"X17"
Sun Rim on it and give it the tubeless treatment.
When he sends the wheel back it will have the Beefy Tourance 150/70R17 on it.

when Lupo was here he ran the Pirelli sport demons, now that he tours more and mileage is more important he is using the Bridgestone BT-45's. on my EV11 I'm going to run the sport demons. on the Jackal going to put V11 sport rear rim (4.5x17) and run a 150/70-17 Dunlop road smart.

Rich, no surprise you like the Sport Demons, they have always been known as the best or near best twisty road first, mileage last type tire that Jon is looking for. I know that when I used them on my Tontis, they sure felt ever so confidence inspiring in a turn-& were also tire most likely to run out of tread in the middle of nowhere. Rather surprised you are talking about Roadsmarts, by rep & my Norge experience very much a middle of the road, split the difference, decent stick plus decent mileage kinda tire, not what Jon is asking for, nor what I would expect you to be looking for.

Bob, biggest issue on the late Cali's is rim sizing now that the 205's are drying up. For the chunky look, I really dug the D607 below. Stuck/lasted well. They make it both in a 140/80 (3.5" rim req'mt, OEM) and a 150/70 (4~4.5" rim req'mt, 4" OEM on the '03+ EV). Great tire... no front though.

The front rim (2.5 x 18) is going to be a real PITA to fit now... hence why I laced up a 3.5 x 17" front years ago... RR too. Another front option would be to lace up a 3.5 x 18, as the 120/70-18 D205 will *NOT* work/bead up on the stock rim. Been there, tried that... no go.

I have a Roadsmart currently on the rear of the MMJ, and am digging it so far. 5~6k miles is fine with me, looks like it will do it, no problem... even with two track days under it's belt.

D607:
83_1.jpg

bobberbill wrote:
How about a set of Cheng Shen K-70 knock off's in a good old american size of 450x18 on the front and rear? I have no confidence problem's cornering on a set of giant donut's !
Funny.. and true. But we're dealing with a handful more power and ground clearance, no? Good hearing from you. When might we see you next?

Bob...HUH! the Road Smarts are better at everything than the D205 they replace. Only down side is they chose not to make it in the sizes we need! Why dunlop did NOT make Road Smarts in a 110/80-17 or a 140/80-17 makes me unhappy! I know a lot of people at trackdays freak out when they see I run a D205 in the rear, it works very good on our Guzzi's. I would expect the road smart to be better...at worst the same.

Bob,
Who is the guy you show up with your wheels and he mounts em while you wait, i needs me some tires, and you speak highly of the guy, if you have contact info, please share, I have been thinking about lacing a wider excel rim up next time to match the rear rim and let me have a wider tire choice, buts i needs me some tires this week
Thanks for any input

Also Rich, did you have much loss of groung clearance going to a 17 inch front
Thanks

Bob and I go to the same place.
MC tire Works.
They can get just about any tire in a day.
If it's common, they'll have it.

M C Tire Works Inc
9025 Sepulveda Blvd
North Hills, CA 91343
818-893-7806

I call and order the tire over the phone.
They usually tell me it will be in the next day.
I then find the cheapest price on the Internet.
They match the price + install.

SoCalDon wrote:
Bob and I go to the same place.
MC tire Works.
They can get just about any tire in a day.
If it's common, they'll have it.

M C Tire Works Inc
9025 Sepulveda Blvd
North Hills, CA 91343
818-893-7806

I call and order the tire over the phone.
They usually tell me it will be in the next day.
I then find the cheapest price on the Internet.
They match the price + install.

So you guys don't pay $400 for a set of tires on the Guzzi's? This was after I took the wheels off the rims myself. All they did was R/R tires and tubes, and balance. Granted, I did buy Metzler 880 front and rear. Will do my own tires next time and save about $120.

I pull my wheels off and bring them in.
As far as price goes. Good tires will cost more.
It has more to do with how fast you go in turns.
Go cheep and things get a bit sketchy.

Most SoCal Outlaw types are always looking
for a sticky tire with a bunch of contact
that also lasts a long time. :S
The D205s fit that bill for stock late model California wheel configurations.
Now its a challenge to find the right combination of tires.
Factor in brand loyalty and, Forget-a-bout-it.
It gets more complicated.

Yeah, M/C Tire for me too. However, unless their price is cheaper than or as cheap as the internet price (sometimes it is), they may charge up to $15 max over the internet price. Since you usually have to pay shipping, OK with me-& in any case, they have proven to me over the decades (literally) I have been going there that they know what they are doing & stand behind their work. Not always the case at other places, where sometimes the tire changer is the 16-18 year old kid who does the jobs nobody else wants to do. Found that out the (very) hard way about 27 years ago, resulting in a pinched tube & crash. Your butt is on the line here.

Very interesting that the SoCal go fast types here (Todd & Rich) like the Roadsmarts, I guess cause of the dual compound thing. They get a lot more mileage for me than, say, Sport Demons. Though, what doesn't? Had them on the Norge, pretty happy with them, just mounted Michelin Road Pilot 2's, also a dual compound tire, we'll have some idea by the time I get back from Colorado how they compare.

guzzibob wrote:
, just mounted Michelin Road Pilot 2's, also a dual compound tire, we'll have some idea by the time I get back from Colorado how they compare.

I knew I could count on you, SafetyBob....
........I would really like to hear about those Michelin Road Pilot 2's........lacing new wheels ain't in the budget these days, and I kinda like how the Jackal handles with the skinny front tire. They are the only ones I could find with those two sizes together.

Back