• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Calsci touring windshields for Norge

Screens - the never-ending vexed question.

After many years of experimentation my findings are that there is only one sure-fire position for the top of the ideal screen and that's about nose-tip height and 200mm to 250mm in front of your visor. Rarely is the distance from screen top to viisor achievable unfortunately because of bikes' basic designs, so every screen's suitability for one rider may not suit another nearly as well. That means that the only way to find your ideal screen is by trial and error. That too is fraught with practical difficulties, sadly.

The new screen shown here sure looks lovely and will probably suit some riders well, but there's no guarantee of that. Apart from the configuration of the bike itself and the screen fitted, other variables include such things as the length of the rider's arms and back, where he tends to sit on the seat and handlebar position. When you consider those things, not many can be varied easily.

What to do? In the case of the Norge my guess is that the smallest/lowest screen available is likely to produce the most turbulence-free result. The Suzuki V-Strom models are great bikes from many viewpoints but have had very bad issues with their screens, mainly because of the way they are mounted so far forward. Many and imaginitive are the solutions I've seen tried - one was even superbly successful, but oh! so ugly. No screen at all on a V-Strom works best of all! Did on my 1997 Triumph Trophy tourer too.

Graham

My Norge was one of the 2 I believe that Mark used as a prototype, the final windshield he made was excellent, I tried it out at different speeds up to 80mph and it seemed to work fine for me.

xbrit wrote:
My Norge was one of the 2 I believe that Mark used as a prototype, the final windshield he made was excellent, I tried it out at different speeds up to 80mph and it seemed to work fine for me.

before you fitted the screen did you get the impression your Norge had a lot of head shake at speed (in large truck wakes, etc)?
if so, after fitting the new screen has that changed? I am trying to wrap my head around the buffeting (did a quick 1000 miles this weekend, and into a strong westerly truck wakes when over taking were "interesting").

At speeds up to, oh, 113 or so my Norge with stock screen has never done anything to cause concern. Ditto for truck wakes-though can't think of any time when wind conditions were particularly difficult at same time. My front suspension is not stock, rear shock is stock but set somewhat stiffer than as it comes. As it came the front suspension was way too soft for my taste, so maybe I was just lucky it was never tested, wouldn't have surprised me if problematic in difficult conditions.

guzzibob wrote:
At speeds up to, oh, 113 or so my Norge with stock screen has never done anything to cause concern. Ditto for truck wakes-though can't think of any time when wind conditions were particularly difficult at same time. My front suspension is not stock, rear shock is stock but set somewhat stiffer than as it comes. As it came the front suspension was way too soft for my taste, so maybe I was just lucky it was never tested, wouldn't have surprised me if problematic in difficult conditions.

hmm.. I never really felt the suspension was a problem, but it'd be worth a look! thanks for helping me think outside the box (I simply figure it was aero... I am 6'2" so I figure I make a good sail)

g®eg wrote:
xbrit wrote:

before you fitted the screen did you get the impression your Norge had a lot of head shake at speed (in large truck wakes, etc)?
if so, after fitting the new screen has that changed? I am trying to wrap my head around the buffeting (did a quick 1000 miles this weekend, and into a strong westerly truck wakes when over taking were "interesting").

Never a head shake from Norge, but I am putting in the Hyper Pro springs and PD valves as the front suspension is way too soft for me and apparently a lot of others. Is your air pressure correct and are the front adjusters turned in or out equally on both forks ? Those crosswinds and truck wakes can be interesting but never a pucker moment.

draidt wrote:
I am putting in the Hyper Pro springs and PD valves as the front suspension is way too soft for me and apparently a lot of others..[/quote]

Exactly what I did. You should be a lot happier post installation.

No I didn't notice any negative effects, in fact I think the air vent he made increased stability and I just had to juggle with the screen up/down to get it in a comfortable position for me.

Back