• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New EV Owner

dwojcik

Just got it firing!
Hi Friends,
I am new to the Moto Guzzi brand. I have a 2003 california ev. I purchased about 8 months ago with 8800 miles. I've gone through a lot of the bike with my son. Few things remaining such as brakes, fork oil some random electrical things. Also, developing a small drive shaft leak around the boot. I've put about 500 miles on the bike and it's starting to smooth out. I think all the gunk is being cleaned out by the fuel detergents and bearings getting some lube around them. Found the oil breather valve today and it was missing the breather pipe. Maybe pushing oil out of the seals not breathing properly in the case. Well that's for tomorrow. Looking forward to making new moto guzzi friends....
David

Welcome, yes the "S" shaped hose to check ball valve gets cracked. Changed mine a few years ago on a 98.
Have you looked at the valves yet to see if Hydro kit was latest one? Great motor if sorted. Congrat's.

yes I have and thankfully the kit has been installed. Everything quieted down once I did oil, filter change, sump clean and new plugs. I am confused by the absence of the hose. the epd shows the hose connection to the breather but the other end isn't attached in the diagram. can I get just a suitable rubber hose at auto parts store and dangle down or does it connect somewhere? thank you. never used forums before so new to all this. I'm 60 years old so learning as I go. thanks.

The Cal 1100 breathes through the frame, line #27 below goes to the frame behind line #12 in the bottom photo, well hidden under the gas tank. The other image I included is the other part of the crankcase breather system, which keeps it "closed loop." It's a terrible design feeding oil through the frame, and sending it back to the air box.
It would be OK to run a straight rubber line high up under the tank topped with a K&N breather filter, if you don't mind a little oil spit on occasion when run hard.

If you are comfortable doing a valve lash adjustment, I highly recommend it, real injector cleaning (not a fuel additive) and a throttle body clean and sync. The rest takes software to do.

EV Brthr1 EV Brthr2

Thank you for the advice. I will study this and look at my bike. thank you. taking baby steps! my son is an aircraft Mechanic so I keep him close by!

Thank you for the advice. I will study this and look at my bike. thank you. taking baby steps! my son is an aircraft Mechanic so I keep him close by!
Very welcome, he's a good one to keep near for sure. You're aware the oil filter is hidden in the oil pan, yes? There is a pick up screen (#8 above) that should be cleaned as well.

this breather is missing a pipe not sure what's going on here. there seems to be general light coating of gear oil on the lower part of transmission cage. thanks

Attachments

• 20230424_192301.jpg
    20230424_192301.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
this breather is missing a pipe not sure what's going on here.
From memory, the transmission breather is usually an open ended rubber line stuck well up under the tank near the air box. The newer models do the same.

From there, do some reading in the section, and try the Search function. Tons of good info here and on the ARCHIVE tab top of screen.

Enjoy.

From memory, the transmission breather is usually an open ended rubber line stuck well up under the tank near the air box. The newer models do the same.

From there, do some reading in the section, and try the Search function. Tons of good info here and on the ARCHIVE tab top of screen.

Enjoy.
I've already replaced lines from the heads to the frame. they were cracked though to the fabric and weeping oil. pretty messy but cheap fix parts wise.

Enjoy.
Very welcome, he's a good one to keep near for sure. You're aware the oil filter is hidden in the oil pan, yes? There is a pick up screen (#8 above) that should be cleaned as well.
You build beautiful motorcycles. I'm honored thank you!

Back