• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Griso 8v owner with questions and concerns

seyser

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all!

I just recently took delivery of my new used 09 Griso 8v with 2400 miles. I had the bike shipped from VA to MN. This bike was bought new and serviced at Steelhorse Classics in Williamsburg, VA. Before I had took delivery I was reading through the service records and noticed mention of a previous oil leak from the left cylinder that had been repaired. I called the shop and apparently the oil line that feeds the head had been over torqued from the factory causing stripped threads so the shop used a time sert to repair the threads. That was done under warranty and they extended the warranty for an additional 6 months. Fast foreward to this week, I recieved the bike and was looking it over to check out the work done and noticed numerious problems that alarmed me!

1. A couple of the bolt heads on the left side "tank shroud" were bunged up pretty badly.
2. both hose clamps on the intake boot between throttle body and cylinder head were loose.
3. Its seeping oil from both the head and base gaskets.
4. The head breather hose wasnt even clamped down tight.
5. The gas tank breather hose is routed over the frame so that tank is pinching it causing the left side of the tank to not sit in place.
6. Here is the real shocker. Of the two eternal head bolts, One was loose enough to turn with my finger and the other was missing all together :shock:

At this point I am just disgusted, Im afraid to run this motor because of any internal parts that may be lose from when they did the cam recall work. The warranty is good till 10/18 so another week. What are my options?

First of all, congratulations on the purchase of the 2009 G12. I have a white one and they are simply amazing motorcycles. My intake, exhaust and efi systems are all stock, everything is set up correctly and the engine is simply amazing. Power everywhere at anytime. Hang on!

Is Steelhorse the only servicing dealer? Was the previous owner a ham fisted 'mechanic'? I've never been to or done business with Steelhorse but they have a good reputation. The leaking head/base gaskets could be the spark plug tubes. If they leak oil, it will look like it's coming from the head gasket. Oil will run down past the intake and also look like a leaking base gasket. Little oil droplets will spray the starter etc. That's what my left side did anyway. My excellent dealer, Rose Farm Classics, had to replace the spark plug tube as well as the o-ring under warranty.

You may also want to call your dealer and confirm if your 09 falls within the cam/tappet update as well.

All the best to you,

Mark

Steelhorse was the only dealer to touch this bike. The bike apparently had the cam recall done when it was brand new.

You are probably talking about valve cover bolts. These shouldn't be overly tight, but not as loose as you state. I recommend calling Steelhorse and giving them a chance to make it right. It is unlikely that the head and base gasket are actually leaking oil. The source of oil is probably from someplace else. By head gasket to you mean between the cylinder and head or valve cover gasket?

There are two smaller bolts on the back side corners of the cyliner. Id say maybe a 10mm bolt that bolts the head to the cylinder. One was loose and the other missing. I just spoke to them and doesnt sound like they will do much for me since the bike is no longer in VA, taking it there is not an option.

Did you inspect the bike prior to purchase? If not it's really a case of 'Buyer Beware' isn't it unless you bought it from a dealer who was willing to offer some sort of further warranty. I've bought several second hand machines this way in the USA and have always accepted there is an element of risk. So far I've been lucky.

It doesn't sound as if any of the isues are earth shatteringly terrible. Find out the source of the leaks, fix 'em, buy one of the camchain tunnel bolts to replace the missing one and fit it at the same time as you re-torque the heads.

Sure its disappointing or you to have the experience of your new bike spoilt by a few small niggles but if you are that concerned the answer is to buy new so that you have the benefits of having a machine that hasn't been screwed with by anyone and ull recourse to all consumer protections.

Pete

I did not have a chance to inspect the bike in person as it was numerous states away. The owner wasnt much of a hands on kind of guy so he just assumed everything was repaired correctly from the dealer. Im more disgusted over the fact that the dealer let a bike out of their shop like this, must have been a friday afternoon thing :dry: Like Pete said Ill just have to order a bolt and button it up correctly making sure all the other bolts were torqued properly.

Another thing I noticed is when I was riding it(before I saw the mess mentioned above) the service wrench light blinks when I run it up past 5k rpms, Any ideas what that would be about?
-Jeremy

You mean the little red triangle with the exclamation mark in it? That's simply the gear change indicator light. it's set at 5,000 ex-factory. You can re-set it to anything from 5,000 to 8,700 I think. Go into the menu on the dash and itll either say 'Gear Shift Indicator' there or you might have to go to the diagnostics menu (Code is 12425) and it''ll be in there. Sellect that option by holding down the button and then the tacho needle will swing aound to 5,000. quick presses of the button will jump the needle up in 200RPM steps. When you get it where you want it, (have mine set at about 8,200 from memory but rarely take the engine over 8.) hold the button down until it reverts to the menu screen andthen just retreat out.

This and a host of other crap is all in the owners handbook but the diagnostics code is worth memorising.

Pete

Ah yes the triangle. I was thinking it was a wrench for some reason. Anyways that makes sense why the tach only sweeps up to 5k when the key is first turned on. Many thanks Pete!

Just a quick question, As previously stated Steel Horse Classic's has a pretty good rep, Was the bike sold to you on consignment ? As is from Steel Horse Classics ? I take issue with the caveat emptor when buying from a reputable source. If the bike was sold and delivered to you as described and the seller says too bad, Then the dealer should be called out to the whole Guzzi Community.

My 2Cents others may disagree.

I bought it from the original owner. He purchased it new and had it serviced at Steelhorse. Bottom line here is that they did shit work on this bike period! According to their website the business is for sale and if not sold by the end of the year it will be closed down.

seyser said:
I bought it from the original owner. He purchased it new and had it serviced at Steelhorse. Bottom line here is that they did shit work on this bike period! According to their website the business is for sale and if not sold by the end of the year it will be closed down.
That is all very unfortunate and the community here simply wishes that you can undo the bad work and get on with what will be a very enjoyable Guzzi experience. As far as dealerships go, seems those willing to host Guzzi are becoming few and far between (lost 2 dealerships alone in my region since Jan 2010). Fortunately I don't mind putting time and effort in maintaining my Griso, so not having dealer backup is not a big concern. Most Ducati techs know Guzzi and can work on them though if the need arises (plenty of Ducati dealerships to pick from).

First welcome to the world of Guzzi. I don't know if this is your first Guzzi or not but I hope you enjoy it.
But I do not understand your connection between the state of a used bike you bought from a private seller and the quality of work done at SteelHorse Classics. They may have serviced the bike, but if the owner was not a mechanical sort of person as you suggest and he did not take good care of the bike I do not see how that reflects on the dealer. Once it leaves their shop they would have no control over it and even while in their shop you don't know what was going on. Were they being paid to put the bike in tip top shape or were they being paid to do the minimum required so the guy could sell it. And what happened to it after it left their shop.
Others here have had great experiences with them. I am not sure about the connection you are drawing.
But you may want to either find a local dealer you trust or get a manual and dive in yourself. These are great bikes but they do best when the owner is not afraid to get his hands dirty.

congradulations on the new-used griso. I also bought a used 2007 griso that had a few minor problems. I also go through "buyers remorse'" when my warning light came on for a faulty oil pressure sensor issue. Mine was the first year, but I have ridden if 6000 miles in the last 2 months- to sturgis and back and through New Mexico. The motorcycle is very sound in basic design and I am sure that you can get the bugs out of your motorcyle with time and a little effort, especially if you can do it yourself as I have done. There is great support with the internet and varios guzzi clubs. I have since found an independent mechanic in New Mexico that does primarily guzzi work.

Carl

Hi seyser,

yeah, good advice, accept the fact that dealers are not your next best friend, and fix it yourself. I recently bought a 2008 1200 Sport 2V from Townsville. While riding it home to Melbourne, some 3000 kms, just south of Charters Towers in the middle of nowhere, I gave it a burst and the clutch started to slip. I just smiled and said to myself that is why I got it so cheap.
Before leaving Melbourne on my old bike, I was assured by the dealer that the bike was in immaculate condition, but my fault for not giving it a more rigorous test ride. I guess I was mentally committed to buy it from the time I set off from Melbourne. I mean, I don't ride 3000 kms and then say I don't want it.
When I got home, I fixed the clutch myself with advice from several sources, including this web site. I then rang the dealer I bought it from to let them know I got home ok and that I was pleased with the bike. Oh and also that I had fixed the clutch. No worries mate.

Last but not least, I admire your courage in buying a second hand 8V.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark? Why, with respect, would it take any more Courage' to buy a used8V than any other bike. Guzzi or otherwise? If you believe all the horror stories you'd buy a fucking horse!!!!

Pete

Hi Pete,

well, I suppose the 2V is a bit of a horse when compared to the 8V. I chose the 2V because of the problems with the 8V valve train. I understand that that has been sorted now, but the owners with repeat failures must be spitting chips. There is always risk when buying anything second hand, but I think the risk is increased when buying a 8V, given the troubles, especially if the particular history of the bike is not known, when compared to buying a 2V. That is just my opinion, I really do wish Seyser sorts his bike and has a good run.

Before buying my Guzzi, a friend said I should buy two. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, I said what do I want two for. 'Ride one while the other is at the mechanics' came the reply. OK, it was a joke, but there is a thread of truth there. Every manufacturer have their problems, and I do Guzzi no good service by mentioning theirs, but I do wish the 8V was released with roller rockers from the start, I mean it is a hi tech engine with aggressive cams. I hope the latest Stelvio with the revised valve train is a rip roaring success. On a recent trip around Europe I hardly seen a Guzzi, and BMW GS1200 were everywhere, the market is huge. Not that I wish every man and his dog is on a Guzzi, as I think Moto Guzzi are special.

Regards,
Mark.

I have heard that SHC had a good rep. I bought my bike on ebay after a friend inspected it. The ebay deal included sevice, fluids, valves, battery, etc. from SHC...about a $400 bill to the P.O.

I brought the bike home, rode for a hundred miles or so, found the following:
Valves were loud on one side, so I re-did them. Found one side loose, one side with no gap on either valve.
Crank case too much oil by about 8-10oz.
Later, after oil change, found out the oil was not 10-60...most likely 20-50 or something else.
I asked about TPS reset, new flash, or TB bal- the shop guy didn't really know what I was talking about and said 'the flash that is in there is the latest' , but couldn't tell me what the lastest version was.

I'd have to say that my on time exposure with SHC was 'worrysome'. I heard a lot of good things. They were very helpful and bent over backwards to work with me and my travel plans. Shop guys were informative and friendly. I just wasn't happy with the work I found after I got the bike home.

YMMV...

Back