• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Griso Owner with some ?s

sicks

Just got it firing!
Hellooo -

I just picked up an 07 Griso and will post some pics to the picture thread, once I get some decent ones put together.

I tried using the search function but had some issues - Just have two questions -

What is the plastic engine slider thing on the side of the twin called and where might I be able to pick one up? The left side one is a big scraped up and just want to replace.

What turn signals are popular as replacement and have a lower profile?

Anyhoo.. Just got it yesterday and I'm excited to get riding around.

Thanks!

Congratulations on the Griso! You're sure to find it an awesome and attention getting motorcycle.

If you're talking about the puck on the outside of the valve cover, any Guzzi dealer can get you a replacement. From what I understand, they're reasonbly priced and do an excellent job of protecting the head. Too bad the 8v doesn't have something similar.

Look a few threads down (posted last Sunday) at the one called Griso Rear Turn Signal Option. They look real nice IMHO. You could also try the oem turn signals from the Breva 1100/1200 or the new 750's. They're all black, stylish and likely readily available.

All the best,

Mark

Thanks for the info! Will call a couple of dealers today to see cost. I actually did see that Rear Signal post, but mine already has the fender off - There's a very small part where the light is mounted now and it would be difficult to put a flush mount on there.

Congrats and welcome! (we meet again!)

Yeah I wish the 8V had those case protectors.... any dealer but you might be better off calling mailorder since most dealers probably won't even stock them.

If you switch to LED turn signals remember you might have to put a resister in place to prevent the fast blink

Chicago Mark said:
...If you're talking about the puck on the outside of the valve cover, any Guzzi dealer can get you a replacement. From what I understand, they're reasonbly priced and do an excellent job of protecting the head. Too bad the 8v doesn't have something similar...
Too bad indeed... any chance that Todd and/or other brainy birds at Guzzitech may come up with something similar (maybe in CNC aluminum?) for the 8V engine? ;)

The 8v engine has a "floating" valve cover. sadly this is the reason nobody has made anything beacause mounting it to the head is impossible :(
Otherwise i had bought some allready and put them to good use dropping my bike :mrgreen:

kampe said:
The 8v engine has a "floating" valve cover. sadly this is the reason nobody has made anything beacause mounting it to the head is impossible :(
Otherwise i had bought some allready and put them to good use dropping my bike :mrgreen:
Oh no... so we're stuck with taking a gamble and install a pricy Stucchi crashbar, praying it will not come apart at the seams on its own after a few thousand miles?? :eek:hmy:

Todd please, please, use your engineering genius to come up with an alternative solution - like a better engineered and better built crashbar :mrgreen:

Hey Cyto ! Thx !

I did give a close couple of dealers a call - none are stocking and they're guessing about $50. However, I have to go in because neither really knew what I was talking about. They're kind of far, so I have to make time to head out there.

If you asked a Guzzi dealer for the Griso 1100 head slider puck or some such thing and they didn't know what you meant, forget that dealer. Not sure where you're located but if you called my local dealer they'd know exactly what you need. Rose Farm Classics, Jim Barron, 815-337-6686.

All the best,

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
If you asked a Guzzi dealer for the Griso 1100 head slider puck or some such thing and they didn't know what you meant, forget that dealer. Not sure where you're located but if you called my local dealer they'd know exactly what you need. Rose Farm Classics, Jim Barron, 815-337-6686.

All the best,

Mark

Isn't the easiest way is to download the parts book from this site and order using the part number? Then there is no excuse for the dealer not knowing what you want or for getting the wrong bit. Here in the UK very few dealers have any parts in stock, so I always use mail order from one dealer that I've found does hold a good stock of parts. And when I needed one of those protectors sure enough they did have them in stock as it's a commonly needed part.

Thanks, Will - I didn't know there was a part catalogue on here - I'll search for it -

I think parts are less available here because MG is not as popular as the other major builders.

Just to share, I did a quick write up of the Griso :)

--

Yesterday, I finally got to go ride the Guzzi around for a bit and just wanted to put some thoughts together. This may be more of a blog post, but sorry! I have no blog.

Cell phone pic of when I purchased/picked up below -

IMG_20111109_163151-vi.jpg

Short riding background on me: I've been riding primarily sportbikes for the past 11 years. I used to be able to ride at a good track pace, but my last crash left me really questioning riding (I couldn't figure out what made me go down.) I have tried getting back on the track a couple of times since then and just could not get a pace going, at all.

This got me thinking of what's next for me on two wheels. I love motorcycling and could not let the idea of not riding settle in. (If you want to add more negatives in there, please do - it will emphasize the indecisiveness I have had over the past few years.) So, I started contemplating a cruising bike of some sort and was very close to swooping up a Harley... but then I saw the MG Griso on BARF and knew what was next.

Fast forward to my first ride, and Man (or Woman), it is a great ride. I have owned and ridden plenty of motors, but this is definitely different. The twin sound rumbles something nasty when putting any pressure to the throttle and when coupled with the high mount Mistral exhaust - it does not sound like two hogs humping each other (no offense HD owners), but it gives off an air of assurance. The confidence given is kinda like having a pre-tattoo Mike Tyson, with James Earl Jones' voice, as your bodyguard. I am not screaming my presence, but I am pretty sure everyone knows I am in the room.

I am a short 5'9", and the seating is perfect for my dimensions. While the pegs sit a bit higher than I would like; ergonomically, the adjustable LSL bars and controls were already in the right distance to allow me a very comfortable riding posture. I have not taken my wife two up yet, but I imagine she would be decently relaxed, since the cushion is wider and the seat stance less aggressive than what she is used to on the Japanese bullets.

When still and just starting the engine, then giving a couple quick blips, the bike pulls left on every grumble, just enough to notice. It's as if there was a roided up hamster running around somewhere between the frame saying, "Let's get going already!" Once moving though, the first thing I noticed was the buttery soft movement through gears. There is no clunking through, merely a click, vroom, and off you go to whatever speed is legally posted per the California Department of Transportation signage. I want to reiterate, the transmission is exceptionally smooth. Speedwise, traveling the 'speed limit' feels slower than it is actually moving - making it easy to go faster than you're supposed to. I did my best to pay attention to the digital gauge. Back to the hamster pulling left - this really does not affect cornering too much at a decent speed. Bike will dip in left easier and quicker than right and there is a getting-used-to-it transitional stage, but it's not mind-warping.

The rest of the ride experience matches the growl. Griso rides thick. I imagine if I ever trained a bull to ride like a horse, this would be the outcome. I read on the nets, that the '07 Griso pumps short of 100 HP. I figure 100 horses equals one bull; so I'm putting out 1 BS with this bike right now. The suspension is a bit rough over anything out of the ordinary, but I will be taking it to the fork 'n springs guy to see what improvements can be done in adjusting the stock loads. If the road is smooth though, it rides solid.

So, the result? -- Is a smile that wrapped twice around my head. I do not know for sure that I am completely done with the track - BUT, I know that I am not done with the street and I think I have found the perfect bike to cruise around on. I am looking forward to going two up on a distance ride and see that happening in the not to distant future.

:)

I would call tony at moto international In Seattle. Tons of knowledge, gets back to you quickly, no elitist attitude and will work with you on pricing when he can. 206.297.3822.

He is ordering one for me too btw - maybe he had to order more than one.

Greyo said:
Chicago Mark said:
...If you're talking about the puck on the outside of the valve cover, any Guzzi dealer can get you a replacement. From what I understand, they're reasonbly priced and do an excellent job of protecting the head. Too bad the 8v doesn't have something similar...
Too bad indeed... any chance that Todd and/or other brainy birds at Guzzitech may come up with something similar (maybe in CNC aluminum?) for the 8V engine? ;)

Not sure how much protection they'd offer but have these on my SE (sorry best pic I have), made by a guy who offered them for sale on the AdvRider forum. Look nice though, :D

dsc0248custom.jpg

Joe Bar said:
Not sure how much protection they'd offer but have these on my SE (sorry best pic I have), made by a guy who offered them for sale on the AdvRider forum. Look nice though, :D
dsc0248custom.jpg
Looks like they are intended to protect the head cover finish from impact by small flying debris.

They may also provide some limited "cosmetic" protection in case of a tip over of a still or near-still bike...
What are they made of? Is it carbon fiber?

BTW, I noticed you replaced the red-background Guzzi oval logo on the fairing with the black-background one; I agree it is a much better fit with the overall color scheme of the SE - if you could only find a similar replacement for the small clip-on logo on the spark-plug covers, it would be perfect! B)

Sicks, congrats and welcome to the Forum(!). I appreciate the enthusiasm as it takes me back to when I bought my first Guzzi well over a decade ago now. I still have it (Jackal shown below left, with 150k+ miles on it, and I have well over 100k more on other Guzzis now in my garage).
Because it is a small manufacturer, the only people that make parts for them are enthusiasts like found here. Support them when things are made available.
The 1064cc 2VPC motor makes 75 rwhp in tuned trim. Higher posted #'s would simply be a crank rating... and if I'm not mistaken, the torque pull is to the right. It is a non-issue the second the clutch lever is released and the bike it motion.
Post again/often!

Greyo said:
The 8V is nearly impossible to make a simple guard for, because the valve covers are bolted to the rocker box assembly, so a real crash-bar is the only option.
Greyo, can you give me a link (or better yet, direct connection to the seller) for the valve cover protector you have pictured?

GT-Rx said:
The 8V is nearly impossible to make a simple guard for, because the valve covers are bolted to the rocker box assembly, so a real crash-bar is the only option.
Greyo, can you give me a link (or better yet, direct connection to the seller) for the valve cover protector you have pictured?

So, any chance of ever seeing a Guzzitech-designed real crashbar for the Griso 8V?
Pleeeeeez, Todd!!! Don't leave us with the only option of gambling our hard-earned $$ with a Stucchi one :!: :laugh:

Concerning the link to the "lite" valve cover protector, Joe Bar said he got it from some dude on the AdvRider site, but I could not find it myself.

Back