• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Guy--Short Guy Help

Drummer

Just got it firing!
Hello,
This is my first post, so hello to all.

I've been riding for about sixteen years; Honda and Suzuki naked twins.
However, I have really gotten impressed with the V-7 and just returned from my Guzzi store in Dahlonega, GA USA.

My issue is being vertically challenged...downright short. I'm 5'5" but with a 28" inseam. In the past I have had to lower all my bikes in some way, shocks, seat, forks, etc. Even then, the best I could ever do was being on the balls of my feet...at most. The V7 has me on the very tips of my toes. OK to ride, not OK in parking lot situations, side of the road, etc.

The V7 is fairly light but at a 31.7 height not really short. I've been told that even the optional lowering kit will only give me a half inch at most. The seat doesn't look like a likely place to take a lot of padding out of and besides...the frame and body of the bike are not particularly narrow either, which forces my legs out instead of straight down.

So, has anyone had good success in dropping the bike at LEAST an inch without messing up the handling? An inch would get me on the balls of my feet, so even a bit more would be welcome.

Welcome in advance to the Guzzi fold. A handful of shorter riders have resorted to re-shaped seats, shorter shocks and lowering the front forks in the triple trees (and/or mechanically lowering the forks and internals) -- I can be of help on all. This combo will not only drop you an inch or more, but will also give you a MUCH better ride over stock. Post again or feel free to reach me direct email for more help. Todd at GuzziTech.com

You tall people complaining kill me. :) I am 1" shorter, same inseam. You will probably want to upgrade the suspension after you buy it anyway so converse with Todd, and he'll direct you on a suspension manufacturer of choice and see if they have lowered them before. Todd knows the Guzzi's so you should get a good initial setup from him. I also think the V7 is a mite bit tall and I'll be watching to see how this plays out. When I finally decide to sell my Honda PC800 (Works shocks, stock height) I may replace it with a V7. Looking at the forks I believe you can slide them up in the trees an inch and I am sure you can buy shorter shocks. THe question would be if anything is going to drag on turns and how much clearance Todd's deeper sump will have on it. I have full intention one of those goes on first oil change.

I currently ride an 2014 California 1400 Tour with standard height that I think was purchased in the same shop in GA originally by a gent in Kentucky. I purchased upgraded suspension that I have yet to ride on (Ohio winter). I was offered to lower it but the floorboards already drag on occasion so I passed. I also have a Suzuki 650 V-Strom that I have lowered about 3/4" with no problems. I owned a lowered BMW R1200GS (they don't get much taller) and I disliked it but the lowering was not the problem other than maybe not low enough. The whole bike is designed for tall people.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Todd, I'll be checking in with you.

I'm not really a cruiser guy,standards and naked sport bikes are more my style. The V7 has gotten my attention.

Hey Todd, anybody verified actual stock suspension travel.
Breva 750 had 75mm advertised rear wheel travel. V7R has same basic frame and geometry layout but they advertise 118mm travel.

I only ask because my Bellagio was supposed to have had 120mm rear travel, but when I finally managed to pull it all apart and accurately measure it, I was only getting 92mm, and that was after the bump stop rubber had collapsed.

Gee, if the V7R only had 75mm, and you reduced it for "shorty", can't imagine a smooth ride.
Looking to learn more .........................

Ps, got a short arsed mate and me bro-in-law.

Drummer, you've gotten some good feedback, my 2 cents is that you might want to consider holding off for a V7II, that new model will cut another 1/2 inch off seat height. I agree that you will most likely be doing suspension mods because if you're short your most likely under 175lbs, and even heavier riders have issues with the stock suspension. For the record, I'm 5 4" 30" inseam and 135lbs. I'm in the midst of suspension mods to address ride and handling not so much ride height.

Hey Todd, anybody verified actual stock suspension travel.
I have not... But I can say with any of the stock shocks fitted, travel while seated as a heavier rider is minimal. If I can make some time, I will measure as I have both the Ollé & BiTubos on the shelf.

Thanks all for your suggestions and expertise. At 134 lbs I don't compress stock suspensions all that much, so if I change out shocks to reduce height, I'll also look at spring rates. However, buying a new bike and then dropping another grand on seat and shock mods is a bit of challenge to my checkbook. I'm heading down to Bike Week tomorrow and plan to demo a V7....but leaving my credit card back at the motel. :)

At 134 lbs I don't compress stock suspensions all that much, so if I change out shocks to reduce height, I'll also look at spring rates. However, buying a new bike and then dropping another grand on seat and shock mods is a bit of challenge to my checkbook.
Understood. Take the time to measure what the sag #'s are and post them here.

Back