• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New guy with a question.

Singuzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi Everybody.

I'm a new member based in Singapore and have an 1100 Griso. Back up is not the best here but i believe there's 5 Grisos, 1 Breva 1100,1 1200 Sport, a couple of Stelvios, a Norge , and 2 Centauro's. Never seen them on the road though.

Anyway, i have a question about oil.
The book i got with the bike says that i need 10W60 in the engine, 80W90 in the transmission and 85W90 in the gearbox.
The lub chart from the workshop manual on the forum says i need 5W40, 80W90 and 85W90.
The lub chart from the owners manual on the forum says i need 5W40, 80W90 and 85W140.

Which one is correct?

From my point of view 10W60 would be fine for the engine but my main concern is the difference in the gearbox oil specs.

I searched the forum and saw a lot of oil queries but didn't find one about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Andy.

MG changed the original spec:

WWW.SERVICEMOTOGUZZI.COM
Page 1 of 2
TECHNICAL NOTE No. 010-2006 28-07-2006
Model: Breva 750/850/1100, Nevada 750, Griso 850/1100, Norge 1200
Subject: Recommended oils
Dear Dealer,
Due to the stricter homologating specifications, our motorcycles use oils with more
and more evolved technical features.
This is why we trust you will pay utmost attention to the specifications indicated in
the owner's manuals of the motorcycles and we take the liberty of reminding you
here below the types of recommended oils that guarantee the best performance of
our motorcycles. Please note that using different types of oils could result in
engine/transmission malfunction.
750 SERIES (Breva and Nevada):
Engine oil: RACING 4T 10W-60 or as an alternative 15W-50
Transmission oil: ROTRA TRUCK GEAR 85 W -140
Gearbox oil: ROTRA MP/S 80 W -90
850-1100-1200 SERIES (Breva Griso and Norge):
Engine oil: RACING 4T 10W-60 For this type of engine, we warmly recommend that
you use this type of oil since it guarantees ideal
pressure values even at very high engine
temperature.

Transmission oil: ROTRA MP 80 W -90
Gearbox oil: ROTRA MP/S 85 W -90

WWW.SERVICEMOTOGUZZI.COM
Page 2 of 2
1100 SERIES California - Mechanical Tappets
Engine oil: RACING 4T 10W-60 or as an alternative 20W-50
Gearbox oil: ROTRA MP 80 W -90
1100 SERIES California - Hydraulic Tappets
Engine oil: RACING 4T 5W-40 Oil to be compulsorily used for a correct
operation of hydraulic tappets
Gearbox oil: ROTRA MP 80 W -90
Please also note that the above specifications refer to Agip branded products.
Best regards
Moto Guzzi
Quality & Customer Satisfaction[color=][/color]

I use 10W-60 in the engine and I use a good synthetic 80W-90 in both the gearbox and the rear end... No problems yet in just 8500 miles.

Thanks for the info, that's cleared things up. Didn't know about the service website so another useful thing learned.
Got to find a source now, keep me busy for the weekend anyway.
Cheers.
Andy.

I used 80w-90 for both transmission and gearbox on my breva when I first bought it. However once I'd gotten up to about 12,000 miles I started to have diffulcalty with down changes, sometimes 1st gear would be impossable. I switched to using 85w-140 and the gearbox has been smooth and well behaved ever since. I'm now up to 26,000 miles.

I don't know the logic for this, perhaps it could be that 85w-140 is a better oil for colder climates.

Back