Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

New Matris Cal 14 offerings

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by GT-Rx®, May 23, 2014.

1. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Berts56, yes I am using the Matris M40D. Todd set them up on the order for the combined weight of me and the pillion princess, plus gear and the 60L top case. I will admit they are a little stiff when riding solo without gear, but I can live with it as we are two up about 85% of the time.
    As far as the Matris spring and spacer kit goes...Yes there is more available out of the fully adjustable units. However, FOR ME, riding a two up Touring model most of the time, I don't know if the difference is worth the additional $$$.
    The new linear spring and spacer made a huge difference in the tracking and stability of the bike. Both at freeway speeds and in the twisties. This is what I was looking for. Between the fork oil weight, raising the stanchions in the triple trees slightly, and/or adjusting the spacer length, I believe there is enough adjust-ability to perfect the lesser expensive kit. FOR MY NEEDS.
    All that said...If I rode a Custom, solo, yeah...I'd have the full cartridge setup.

2. Loosy gussi

Loosy gussi Tuned and Synch'ed

Can the forks be raised in the triple tree, and still retain the fork cover shrouds?

3. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yes, the shrouds are decorative and do not attach to the stanchions themselves. The shrouds are "sandwiched" between the two trees, the stanchions just slide up or down as you choose.

4. Dan Dicker

Dan Dicker Just got it firing!

Todd -- received M40D's and fork spring upgrade kit and sent it all to my tech last week. Winter here and his book was empty so able to deliver the bike back to me yesterday. Luck would have it, it was 60 degrees when I picked up the bike and had the rare chance to ride the Cali around quite a bit.

Revelatory? It's much, much better, that's for sure -- but I expected that. It's in feel that I get the biggest immediate feedback. Much easier to 'feel' where the tires are on the road and gauge and use all the grip - no wallowy, unsure moves from the suspension now. Of course, it's still December and the roads are filthy and a bit slimy -- no condition to scrape pegs around.........but I'm VERY pleased so far. Feels like the preload could be a bit tight and a bit less damping might help as well, but I'll take a look at the setup in the Spring -- unless we get another strange blast of warm air sometime sooner.

got this whole upgrade done for less than two grand...........good price, good stuff.

thanks for the great service and fine products for this very, very underrated machine. Even yesterday, I passed by an H-D poser also enjoying the unseasonable weather and he tried like hell to keep up........even with me taking it easy at 70%....uh, no............sorry, bub, gotta go. Buy another stage two or three kit and blow another $2K on real shocks and maybe............

GT-Rx® likes this.