• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Member needs advise

Ok! I'm looking at a 2009 and a 2010. Any thing different in the model years? The 2011 has some changes. Are they worth the extra $$? The 2012 has the big tank, taller screen, new fairing....... that it?

Do most of you with 09-10's put the pc in? Any info on the need for a power commander with the '11? I've been reading that there are taller screens,fuel tank add-ons, plugs, etc. that do these models fine....

Biggest difference will be in the motors I suspect. 2010 NTX models have the A5 motor which is in a 'softer' state of tune, ostensibly to offer more midrange but I suspect also to elliminate the snatchiness the A8 motor can suffer from at low RPM although if set up correctly this is barely noticeable on most bikes. The A8 motor is the 'Full House' Griso donk which will push the big G to the rev limiter if you have a long enough straight road and are stupid enough! I've hit the limiter ONCE in 6th. 247kph. It was more than enough to do it the once! I'd expect a Stelvio to crack 200 but that's really a bit pointless on a big chook-chaser.

Personally if I wanted a Stelvio I'd try for an NTX. Over here they all came bagged up as well so that was a huge saving on having to buy bags and racks aftermarket. Having said that of course there are some bloody good deals to be had on the A8 motored bikes and they are still bloody great machines. i think most of the owners here own A8 motor bikes?

As is always cautioned by both me and others, don't buy only on price. Buy from a known 'good' dealer, even if they a way from your balliwick and cost a bit more. Proper set-up is vital for any Guzzi and if its done correctly they're bomb-proof. If they are just 'Pushed out the door' you're asking for problems. The usual suspects spring to mind as being 'First port of call' MPH, Rosefarm, Moto International, etc.

pete

pete roper said:
Personally if I wanted a Stelvio I'd try for an NTX. Over here they all came bagged up as well so that was a huge saving on having to buy bags and racks aftermarket.

At one time (I don't know the details) they started to toss in the bags and other goodies on the older models to get them off the showroom floors. At least here in the US.

Pete sounds like the 2010 ntx with the a5 is more sorted out out of the box but still needs setting right - is that fair

They *All* need setting up correctly. As do all other motorbikes. Thing is your average 120+ HP 'Sportsbike' has so much on tap that even if it isn't prepped properly the owners'll never notice. That isn't the case with a 220Kg lump that only puts out about 100HP max but its especially noticeable if it isn't tuned properly and has a hole in the midrange or what people refer to as 'Surging' issues.

How about the one for sale in the clasifieds in Tx.?

Pete

As far as I know, here in the U.S., you have to sorta build your own NTX. Mine came with the Trax bags, guards, aux lights, hand guards etc, but not the narrower rear rim.

Hopefully, with the newest version, they'll bring in the NTX.

All great info from you all. I located a new 2009 at a dealer locally. 6 miles on the speedo. Red. $11990. W no bags. With a dead battery too :lol: The people didn't know anything about A5 motor, etc. They didn't know anything about when or if they'll get any more. I am researching a bit on what 09's go for. I believe there may be dealers locally (75 miles) who know more. In "person" the stelvio is much taller/ bigger than I thought. Definitely a relaxed riding position. So now I'm thinking 09 B) I need to hear it and see what the throttle response and talk with the mechanic

tomsp said:
All great info from you all. I located a new 2009 at a dealer locally. 6 miles on the speedo. Red. $11990. W no bags. With a dead battery too :lol: The people didn't know anything about A5 motor, etc. They didn't know anything about when or if they'll get any more. I am researching a bit on what 09's go for. I believe there may be dealers locally (75 miles) who know more. In "person" the stelvio is much taller/ bigger than I thought. Definitely a relaxed riding position. So now I'm thinking 09 B) I need to hear it and see what the throttle response and talk with the mechanic

My Stelvio is a red '09. It has been an absolutely great bike!

Bruce

Attachments

• Stelvio, Port Stanely, April 10, 2011 DSCF0151.JPG
    Stelvio, Port Stanely, April 10, 2011 DSCF0151.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 182
"My Stelvio is a red '09. It has been an absolutely great bike!"

Ok Bruce. Nice. Yours is set up ntx fashion. Did you do that or was this the original setup? Grip protectors and frame guards not included but could be had on this bike. Do you run the pc?

tomsp said:
"My Stelvio is a red '09. It has been an absolutely great bike!"

Ok Bruce. Nice. Yours is set up ntx fashion. Did you do that or was this the original setup? Grip protectors and frame guards not included but could be had on this bike. Do you run the pc?

Thanks! The Moto Guzzi Trax side bags were already installed by the dealer when I bought my bike. I had the Givi top box from a previous bike, so I bought the Givi adapter plate and installed it on the rear rack. I purchased the engine guards and transmission guard and had them dealer installed, along with the grip protectors. I do not have the power commander, and have not felt a need for it. My Stelvio seems to run well through all RPM ranges.

Cheers,

Bruce

tomsp said:

Don't forget to investigate that rebate on the bags and such from Guzzi. At one time last year, they were basically giving you most of the 'NTX' conversion bits.

Thought the website was down :(

Well I bought a new 2009 stelvio. I also bought the package for $900 including motor guards, grip guards , bags , alarm system and cover. Test ride showed the clutch level way too far out fo r me and the shift level needs lowering due to me past broken ankle :lol: '"l

Also amazing the ride home was 30 miles with wind at between 20-25 kts. I was not knocked all over the place and was mostly fairly relaxed. Sweet.

I still have the beast which will be a source of some consternation for my sweet wife

I now need to search for instructions on how to mount the bag brackets, motor guards and grip protectors. The package deal alarm is on but that is more than likely useless as the Big S is too heavy to steal :lol:

Sunday pm now -- took 1 hr to fit the bags :evil: then went for couple hr country road spin - now have 200 miles-- handles very darn good :woohoo: I have a huge grin. Turns in very sweet. I thought the bags would float in some aie but didn't. Took some time to start figuring out the computer. Have set the correct time :laugh: Good bike moto guzzi

Make sure to either modify the engine sump guard or get the stucchi aftermarket one, so that once the engine guards have been installed you don't have to remove them again to change oil and filter :lol: Those bolts love to strip with repeated removals!! Congrads on the new wheels :)

tomsp said:
I now need to search for instructions on how to mount the bag brackets, motor guards and grip protectors. The package deal alarm is on but that is more than likely useless as the Big S is too heavy to steal :lol:

Sunday pm now -- took 1 hr to fit the bags :evil: then went for couple hr country road spin - now have 200 miles-- handles very darn good :woohoo: I have a huge grin. Turns in very sweet. I thought the bags would float in some aie but didn't. Took some time to start figuring out the computer. Have set the correct time :laugh: Good bike moto guzzi

Congratulations! I am sure you will not regret your purchase. The Stelvio is a magnificent motorcycle! :D

Bruce

Congratulations! I am sure you will not regret your purchase. The Stelvio is a magnificent motorcycle!

Right-On - I really love this bike

And can someone tell when first service is - thE "run in" - dealer told me 600 miles and manual says 932 miles

Back