• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New model NTX cam failure

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I've just read an article in 'Gambalunga' the Uk moto guzzi owners club magazine about an NTX that had a cam failure. From the photographs it looks like the new model (large tank) NTX.
In the article the author states that his bike was "a year old on June 10th", and at the time of writing his bike has covered 20,000mls. He doesn't say when or at what mileage the failure occurred.
It looks like Moto Guzzi still haven't sorted this problem. I'm pretty sure that this is costing them sales in the UK. Just recently I was speaking with some guys who had recently purchased new Triumph Explorers and a Yamaha Super Tenere, they all stated how much they liked the Stelvio, and had seriously considered buying one, however the prospect of the cam/follower failure stopped them. They also remarked that they hadn't bought BMW 1200GS's because of the recurring final drive and other problems that model had.
I love my Stelvio and hope to keep it for a few years, but the prospect of having to pay for repairs in the event of this problem occurring is casting a shadow on ownership.
Does anyone know what the cost of the repair is. I believe Moto Guzzi in the UK have hinted at them honouring warranty if the failure happens outside of the normal 2 year limit, but will this be subject to the bike being dealer serviced? I normally do my own maintenance once a vehicle is out of warranty.

I have UK 1200 8v abs with 32 tank (2011 model). When I changed my Griso, which had the cam/follower problem, the Piaggio Rep was at the Dealership. He told me that the supplier had been changed and there had been no failures of 2011 model (big tank) bikes. The MG Club Survey was completed in around Nov 2011 but took a while to be published.
My Stelvio, a 9/2011 bike, has done 8500m with no problems.
Nigel

The bike featured in that magazine article was definitely not the new big tank model. It was fitted with the latest #3 cam followers, and we have yet to see if these will prove to be better. The followers are a different length to the originals, the owner told me, and he also said Piaggio thought they had the problem sorted.

Brian UK said:
The bike featured in that magazine article was definitely not the new big tank model. It was fitted with the latest #3 cam followers, and we have yet to see if these will prove to be better. The followers are a different length to the originals, the owner told me, and he also said Piaggio thought they had the problem sorted.

The reason I thought the article referred to the later NTX is because the sepia coloured photo at the top of the page preceding the script looks very much like the later model complete with the transparent plastic winglets fitted to the side of the fuel tank, I'm unable to tell from the following smaller colour photos which model it is. Also the author refers to it being a year old this summer.
My apologies if I have got this wrong. :blush:

Back