• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New nervous griso owner

steve lindsay

Tuned and Synch'ed
Its good to be a part of this amazing site as am realizing after purchasing a new 09 Griso that several problems might arise over a period of time. I'm not mechanically minded and must admit that after reading some of these posts am wondering what I've got myself into. However, I love the bike and have put about 1200kms on her over a short period of time. Its breaking in fine and will be taking her for the first service next week. Having owned maintenance free bikes for years, and must admit, boring rides compared to the character this machine has, I hope my pocket book can stand the test of time. I got hooked after attending the Guzzi Rally in John Day, Oregon this summer. Taking the Grisso 1200 8V for a demo. ride was the clincher.
Anyway, I'm glad this site is here and know there is a wealth of knowledge to draw from in case there are any quirks in the future. Seems to me there will be as certain design flaws are going to crop up at some point from moisture problems in the instrument panel to cracks in the exhaust system. I'll have to get a windscreen on her soon as live on Vancouver Island were we are wet for 9 months of the year. Thanks for reading and hope to have some meaningful conversations with some of you in the future.

Hi there!

Theyre not as bad as it sometimes appears. Guzzis have long service intervals and most parts are the same now as they were in the Guzzis of the 70's - overengineered and tough as old boots.

First thing you need to do is ensure that your bike wasnt subject to the cam recall. I'd call a dealer with your chassis no. and ask, just to be 100%. I dont know much about the 8v, so other folks could probably advise you better but thats what *I'd* do.

The only other things I'd recommend you check are:

the positioning of the immobiliser aerial wire: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/5296.html You should be able to check it is routed correctly by removing the right hand wing (3 allen screws) and seeing its routed up the side of the ignition barrel.

the speedo sensor:. This is a little black box on the CARC drive unit, it has a black cable running right the way underneath the CARC. Its recommended to re-seal this with silicon adhesive, but I just sprayed mine with acrylic lacquer from Wilkos and thats done the job for over 9 wet months.

the sealing/venting for the instrument panel, which tends to steam up. This one is more complex and there are plenty of bits which will try to get themselves lost when you do it. The advice on how to do it is here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/download.html?id=969 That was done on a Stelvio (I think) with a mainstand... you may want to make your grooves at a slight angle since the Griso only has a sidestand. I just used a regula hacksaw blade, just take it careful so you dont damage the PCB.

These are the only things I've seen that should be of much concern :)

Oh Gawd!

First, stop worrying. Secondly, start again :lol: .

Really, the only BIG issue is the cam recall that was called a 'Technical update' by the factory. you HAVE to make sure that your bike wasn't eligible or that it was completed BEFORE it was delivered to you. If someone on this forum could find the link o the original PDF file with the numbers and sends it to me I will happily compose a 'Sticky' to try and put people's minds at rest on this.

The fact is that if the Nuovo 8V as used in the Grisos and Stelvios in the A5 format is set up right and ISN'T screwed around with by RETARDS masquerading as 'Technicians' is a fine and splendid thing. I've done 25,000+ miles on my very early model now, (Would of been more but I have an Aprilia Mana as a second 'Workhorse'!) and although mine is one that should be suceptible to ALL the 'Issues' associated with the model it has remained brilliantly and faultlessly reliable.

DO make sure that whatever 'Dealer' you are using has a basic understanding of the bike. The couple of CAnadian bikes I saw in the East had been buggered about with by an idiot who couldn't, or wouldn't, read!

If you're in BC? If you don't trust the blokes you bought it off? Go to MI in SEattle. They will ensure that everything is set up to the best of their ability, (And they ARE able!) and once it IS set up right you will likely have few, if any, problems.

Since my anally retentive set up on my Griso Verde which meant I kept on checking everything insanely until about 6,000Km. I have had to do NOTHING to my bike apart from change the oils and check the tappets. Sure, at every service interval I plug in the diagnostics. Every time they say 'Why did you do that? We're fine thank you!' My bike is nothing 'Special'. Its just a bike off the production line. What I think is different is mine hasn't been screwed with by idiots. Well, only me.......

Pete

I could find it before but...

Service Communication: 2009-001 USA PRE-UPDATE CAMPAIGN NOTICE
Technical Update Campaign-Griso 8V and Stelvio 4V 1200 Engine- Camshaft
follower/bucket replacement
Models affected: 2009 Griso 8V and 2009 Stelvio 4V models within a specified VIN
range
Griso 8V: ZGULSU0009M111892 to ZGULSU0009M112153
Production Date Range: 05/14/2008 – 09/11/2008
Stelvio 4V: ZGULZC0029M112385 to ZGULZC0009M112689
Production Date Range: 04/29/08 – 10/02/2008

I AM A GOOGLE GOD!!! ;)

steve lindsay said:
Its good to be a part of this amazing site as am realizing after purchasing a new 09 Griso that several problems might arise over a period of time... Anyway, I'm glad this site is here and know there is a wealth of knowledge to draw from in case there are any quirks in the future. Thanks for reading and hope to have some meaningful conversations with some of you in the future.
Steve, congrats on the G8V(!), and welcome to the Guzzi Famiglia. If you haven't already, I hope you'll add your bike to the Registry Tab above. Ping me direct if you have any problems.

When you are ready to have your bike run and sound like it should, I'm here for you.
wink.png

Thanks Pete and Google God, the bike is definitely within the VIN range for having a cam problem. The bike came through a Seattle dealer in the US and have every confidence I'll be looked after although when processing the bike to come into Canada was told there is no recall concerns. So, I have some calls to make and Seattle is a nice 4 hour ride from here so not too bad.
I was going to take the bike to Victoria for a first service but think not now and will take to the dealer however inconvenient, better to have it looked after by pros.
GT-Rx, I'll get the bike up as soon as I can and have started a file for this helpful info.
Thanks again guys for the warm and friendly feedback..................GREAT!!!

Steve

Further, I'll keep you informed on progress on the cam recall situation.........thanks GuzziHero for the numbers..

If you bought the bike from Moto International you need have no qualms abut the recall. They know the problems, the recalls and the way to do the work. It would't of left the shop un-fixed.

Pete

I fail :(

I found the technical bulletin but for the list of affected models, it refers you to the website...which needs a dealers login.

Sorry.

pete roper said:
If you bought the bike from Moto International you need have no qualms abut the recall. They know the problems, the recalls and the way to do the work. It would't of left the shop un-fixed.

Pete

I agree with Pete, bought an 07 G1100 from MI in March got the once over from the official greeter (Hoffa) and all was looked after. :D

Dave posted this up a while back on V11.com but it contains the relevant #'s for the 'Technical Update'

Service Communication: 2009-001 USA PRE-UPDATE CAMPAIGN NOTICE
Technical Update Campaign-Griso 8V and Stelvio 4V 1200 Engine- Camshaft
follower/bucket replacement
Models affected: 2009 Griso 8V and 2009 Stelvio 4V models within a specified VIN
range
Griso 8V: ZGULSU0009M111892 to ZGULSU0009M112153
Production Date Range: 05/14/2008 – 09/11/2008

Stelvio 4V: ZGULZC0029M112385 to ZGULZC0009M112689
Production Date Range: 04/29/08 – 10/02/2008

My VIN # is ZGULSU0019M111920. I checked in with the dealer and all work has been done. The guys at Moto International have been great.
Thanks for the help on this.
Cheers,
Steve

I'm guessing 'Technical Update' is engineering terminology for "Woah *$&!, we cocked THAT up!" :D

Pete, have you ever seen the Europe numbers?

When it was first announced all the numbers were up on the 'Servicemotoguzzi' site. Unfortunately for some reason they disappeared from there and are now only available on a section of the site that I as a mere Service Agent am forbidden from accessing, (I pay $500 per year for the privilege of being excluded from parts of the factory website! Good eh!?).

Pete

pete roper said:
Good eh!?

Marvellous, considering that THEY should pay you for the support you give to their BRAND NAME keeping them from self - destructing their business at your side of the globe! The underdeveloped and non-significant US market that nobody really cares for except some failed brands like e.g. Honda...
:evil:

Its shameful how Piaggio/Guzzi treat their customers and dealers, I can see why DK in Newcastle told them to do a Bob's Dog. Makes you wonder why we bother :(

Sometimes I really do think the company is just riding on its name, and only cares about Italian customers... or maybe they dont care about them, either.

Back