• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Norge and new to this site

polkpr

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just purchased a new, 2014 Norge yesterday and brought it home (in my truck) as I am still recovering from a recent hip replacement and probably shouldn't be swinging my leg over a bike for a couple of more weeks anyway.

I am looking at all the functions and have been stumped by one item (thus far). That is the "heated grips".
This bike has the factory installed heated grips and I finally located the switch (just below the headlight switch on the backside of the left grip).

The issue I'm having is that I can't tell when the switch is activated. It only rocks in on one side and instantly returns back to the neutral position. I don't see any indicators anywhere that shows that it's active and at what level (assuming there is more than one level). The owner's manual doesn't seem to address it's use except to say where the switch is located.

Can someone bring me up to speed on this feature?

Great forum and I'm really looking forward to getting on the Guzzi after the many years of riding various Harleys. This bike is just plain "cool". I'm 62 and have finally decided to go another direction.

Thanks

Welcome & Good For You! Can't wait to hear about your Guzzi adventures & just so you know these things are addicting.

I just purchased a new, 2014 Norge yesterday and brought it home (in my truck) as I am still recovering from a recent hip replacement and probably shouldn't be swinging my leg over a bike for a couple of more weeks anyway.
Congrats and welcome aboard. Hope you'll add your info and perhaps a picture or two to the Registry thread here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/ - or send to me direct email to put them up for you; Todd at GuzziTech.com - and best to you post surgery. I'm always astonished at how aggressive they are these days for recovery time and getting you moving. Sounds like Bill has you handled on the grip question, and you're going to have a blast with the Norge. Be advised that Guzzi is a stronger addiction to what you just came off of. Suddenly you'll have several in the garage.
Enjoy and again welcome to the GT Forum and Famiglia.

Thanks Todd for the welcome. I'll post more detail as soon as I get a good pic.

BTW: I think the first mod for my bike once the break in is completed is your pipe without the catalytic converter. That and an ECU upgrade should be all I need to keep me and the bike happy for some time to come. (and figuring out the heated grips).

Will also be adding cruise control and will be looking for recommendations on that too.

Thanks, again to everyone. Paul in VA

**** Sounds like Bill has you handled on the grip question, and you're going t have a blast with the Norge. ****

Not yet, Todd, Just giving him my addy, etc., as he lives about 20 miles from my place.

Be that as it may, Paul, wrt the heated grips, let's hope this will soon be -- despite tonight's freezing temps! :cry: -- a theoretical issue.

That said, suspect (but can't confirm at this moment) that those controls are same as mine.

If so, sounds as if you have found the right button, i.e., it is well down on the rear (as you face it) left grip. You press that and hold it to engage. When successful the dash display shows a bar (or three) in the upper right-hand corner. By pressing the button, you can go from low to high settings. Hold it down again to turn off.

Let us know if that works or doesn't.

Bill

Bill, You nailed it! I played with it this morning and sure enough, holding the switch in for several seconds activates the heated grips.

For the life of me, I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual on it's operation. Love these forums for just this reason.

Paul

Cool.

Well, warm, actually. :clap:

Given the frost on the grass and glass here this morning, heated grips would be on high were we to ride just now.

But, I am going down the Moto Grappa in a bit -- after several more cups of steaming coffee! ;) -- to wire in a new fuse on my Norge's horn and to figure out, if I can, that $%^&* "whistling" noise, using, as you mentioned, the "wisdom of this forum."

Riding it all over east and central Pennsylvania next week and want it to be as ready as I am. :)

Bill

Finally went for a real ride today (100 plus miles). Fifty four degrees and a mist (sometimes )but no matter. Roads were dry for the most part.

Rode from Berryville, VA up to Harpers Ferry, WV, then on to Boonesboro, MD, and then on to Sharpsburg/Antietam Battlefield, on through Sheperdstown, WV and then on to Clearbrook/Winchester, VA to stop in our local Guzzi dealer. The bike was fantastic and the heated grips were especially nice today. New hip was generally happy except the first motion of lifting the left leg up and back to plant my foot on the peg. Not-so easy but with a little grimace, it worked. I'll call it physical therapy if anyone asks.
My only learning curve after riding Harley touring bikes for several years is finding the foot pegs. I'm used to just plopping my foot on a nice wide platform just below my seat and not having to look for a peg slightly behind my butt. Once there however, it's really comfortable.

The more I rode the Norge, the better I liked it. The feel and handling is so much better than the Harley. I think I'm already becoming a convert. Love the Guzzi!

Hey Paul,

Reading your thread, we sound in similar "places," I am also 62, and with a new Norge (350 mi on it) ...heading in a "new direction." But, I'm coming from Ducatis, so I am looking for better (more comfortable) riding position, but used to the footpegs under the butt, hehe. I am liking mine here in southern Ohio. Does handle better than I expected for a heavier bike than I am used too. I'm getting lots of compliments too. With the bags on, several people have told me they thought I was a cop (I have the pearl white) haha. It's a nice looking bike with hard bags off too. Getting them off the first time might take a minute, but easy after that. Clean lines. Have fun!

Hey Paul,

Reading your thread, we sound in similar "places," I am also 62, and with a new Norge (350 mi on it) ...heading in a "new direction." But, I'm coming from Ducatis, so I am looking for better (more comfortable) riding position, but used to the footpegs under the butt, hehe. I am liking mine here in southern Ohio. Does handle better than I expected for a heavier bike than I am used too. I'm getting lots of compliments too. With the bags on, several people have told me they thought I was a cop (I have the pearl white) haha. It's a nice looking bike with hard bags off too. Getting them off the first time might take a minute, but easy after that. Clean lines. Have fun!

Thanks BDC. Mine is also white. I haven't tried to get the bags off yet but will have to do it eventually though to give it a thorough cleaning.
The one thing that I am definitely going to do however, is put some 3M clear bra protective film on the rear portion of the tank. When riding, I can see where zippers from jackets can scratch the area that is currently housing a pile of caution stickers. These will remain until I get the clear film in place to provide some protection.
I've seen the black protective strips available but I would prefer something that doesn't take away from the clean look of the bike.
Looks like nice weather here on Monday so I'll get a chance to put a few more miles on it before I go back to work on Tuesday.
If I had one complaint about the Moto Guzzi is that the owners manual print is so small, it's very hard to read for older riders. I have never seen any manual printed with such small lettering. Good cheaters, and bright light are a must for me to see it. If that's the worse thing I can find, I'm doing pretty good huh?

You can download a shop manual the home page/downloads link. Should be here:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/categories/norge.12/
Unfortunately if you try to download the owners manual you get an Italian shop manual. Todd is supposed to be working on that. If you go to Thisoldtractor.com they have the owners manual you can download. I keep it on my cloud drive and my devices so if I need to look up anything I can bring it up on my phone, tablet or laptop.
I see you ride in WV. When I bought my first Norge I was unsure if I liked it doing short hops around northeast and central Ohio. After a 3 day trip down 219 and the roads surrounding Marlinton/Snowshoe area I loved it.

I'm a Norge newbie, too. 65 and recently retired. Even though I'm relatively short-legged at a 30" inseam, I found the stock pegs a bit high and replaced them with them with 1 3/8" lowered units from Knight:

http://tinyurl.com/jrj76mp

Really made more of a difference in the comfort level than hoped for and I'm not a spirited enough rider to worry about lean clearances, anyway. I'm really enjoying it but lingering cold in NW Wisconsin has me at only 650 miles so far but I can tell it's limbering up a bit. Photo attached shows that the pegs don't have a noticeable visual effect. I even found the control position better (without adjusting).

DSCF0257b

I'm a Norge newbie, too. 65 and recently retired. Even though I'm relatively short-legged at a 30" inseam, I found the stock pegs a bit high and replaced them with them with 1 3/8" lowered units from Knight:

http://tinyurl.com/jrj76mp

Really made more of a difference in the comfort level than hoped for and I'm not a spirited enough rider to worry about lean clearances, anyway. I'm really enjoying it but lingering cold in NW Wisconsin has me at only 650 miles so far but I can tell it's limbering up a bit. Photo attached shows that the pegs don't have a noticeable visual effect. I even found the control position better (without adjusting).

View attachment 10357
What did you do about the side stand hitting the pegs?

I haven't done anything and haven't noticed it but am going to add a small bumper at the hinge. I've had some vertigo flare up and didn't want to crawl around on my back and stir it up right now. It appears that only a 1/16" of material would give enough clearance at the peg point. I have some 3M VHB material somewhere that I was going to use. It's the type of adhesive sheet that they use for mounting rear view mirrors onto windshields and I've got some of the thick version that's likely the right thickness and tenacious at bonding.

Sounds like a lot of us "oldsters" are getting the Norge. Might have to rename it a "Moto Geezer".
I have owned a lot of Harley's but I'll take this Norge over any of them.

Not sure if this has been hashed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.... I've got 650 miles on the new Norge and thought I should check for lead time for the 1,000 mile check-up, fluid changes with a couple of dealers in Minnesota. They're both 3 weeks out and short of help. Is there any alternative to dealing with this and still maintain warranty requirements? I called the Piaggio number and got an answering machine to leave my info on..?? I do most of my own work and also have access to some very experienced and competent Guzzi wrenches here. I understand that MG doesn't have a very extensive dealer network and I have worked around this for many years but this suddenly feels very limiting for me.

Not sure if this has been hashed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.... I've got 650 miles on the new Norge and thought I should check for lead time for the 1,000 mile check-up, fluid changes with a couple of dealers in Minnesota. They're both 3 weeks out and short of help. Is there any alternative to dealing with this and still maintain warranty requirements? I called the Piaggio number and got an answering machine to leave my info on..?? I do most of my own work and also have access to some very experienced and competent Guzzi wrenches here. I understand that MG doesn't have a very extensive dealer network and I have worked around this for many years but this suddenly feels very limiting for me.

Mine has about 450 miles on it and my dealer really wants to see it a 600 miles vice waiting for the 900. He grimmaced when I mentioned 900. As important as the very first service is, I would recommend waiting to have it done right even if you have to sit out a week or two. Just my opinion but if you think you can do the fluid changes and adjust the valves, go for it. Just not sure what this would do for your warranty if you had a claim later.

Speaking of first service.... I get mine back tomorrow. I took it in with 850 miles on it, and a small list of very minor stuff to check (leaving on a week ride in North Carolina on Monday, so wanted the service completed!). The shop I bought it from (Cadre Motorcycles in Cincinnati) has two MG certified mechanics, one being the owner - and sells them, of course. One selling point for me over the BMWs was the affordability of service. This first service including addressing "my list," ran $355. I shudder to think what the BMW would have been, had I went that route. Plus, I'd have to go to Columbus (OH) to a dealer! Even with the Norge and CARC bikes reportedly going away, I am happy with my purchase so far. The Cadre guys are great, and they'll also work on my Ducatis. I didn't realize it, but there is a huge MG parts distribution center in GA, so availability should be quick vs coming from IT. So far, so good!

Manufacturer's warranty cannot be voided, altered or rejected based upon who performs recommended maintenance and services. This is the law of the land, federal law, even if your sales contract says otherwise. They may try though, so it is important to document what's been done with odometer readings and dates of service.

If performed by an independent shop, keep all records, and have them sign off and stamp the maintenance log in back of your factory owners manual. It is highly preferable that the shop use a computer generated invoicing system (vs handwritten work orders) as your records will always be available, including very handy summaries of all service history in a few clicks.

If we owners perform our own services, we need not generate itemized work orders, but should definitely document them as we go, and too mark them off accordingly in our manuals. Just stick tightly with fluid types the factory recommends (types, not brands), document what you've done in whichever manner suits you and be prepared to produce your personal record if a warranty issue is ever challenged.

Face it: many of us are pretty decent wrenches, and we cannot be penalized for doing it ourselves. Heck, I'm sure there are a whole lot of us who are better mechanics than the dealership boys out there. That said, it is still highly recommended that the first abbreviated service intervals be done at an authorized dealership as they have access to their own Factory technical service bulletins and upgrades that might be critical in those first 10,000 miles or so.

By the way, I'm Steve, I'm new here, just acquired my first Moto Guzzi (used 2-valve Norge) and this is my first post. I'm an independent auto/moto service and repair shop owner with over 25 years in the industry, and my post above is culled from that little well of experience.

Looking forward to my integration into the very distinct culture of this durable and quirky brand. In just one short month of awareness, I find you Guzzi owners SO much more refreshing than the Beemer crowd, and I'm positive I'll never do Boxers again.

Back