• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Norge

cheese

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I pulled the trigger and bought a left over '07 Norge, silver. Love the bike with only 400 miles so far. Was headed home after a 50 mile loop near my house, no abuse, just a short putt. I'm about 5 miles from home when the Red "!" appears along with I think "warning" in the squarish lower right side field. I stop at once and shut off the motor, then turn the key back on and alarm is gone..so I rode it home and called my dealer who initially said "oil pressure" but after leaving me on hold to talk to the mechanic, said it's probably just a "glitch" and not to worry about it. I've never seen anything on the dash that looks like an oil icon, even before starting and after the dash goes through it's check-out. The manual does show a picture of an oil can in the dashboard description, but is silent as to form or function. I asked if he knew if there was an oil pressure indicator of some sort and he admitted he didn't know. I asked if I should continue to ride 'til the first service was due and he indicated yes. Comments / opinions?

Congrats on the Norge! Send me a few photos and info for the Modern Registry as seen HERE -> direct e-mail: Todd at GuzziTech.com

For your question, others will comment I'm sure, but I would absolutely check the oil level. I will assume you do not have the plug in the fairing with the tall dipstick, no?
Things can throw the warning light, but oil level should never be assumed correct.

Welcome Cheese, Congrats also fom me on your new steed. Not owning a Norge I can't be much specific help with the warning.

What I can say is that these little niggles seem to be common with new bikes and seem to sort themselves out with a bit of help form those what know here and I am sure as Racer says they will be along shortly to help.

Post often.....

I agree with Todd, check the oil level to be sure that's not the source of the warning. Be sure to take the bike on a little spin to warm up things (15min ought to do), then put her on the centre stand, and do the check. The earlier, screw-in dipstick must rest on the treading to take the reading.

Also, log in to the diagnostics section of the dash computer (code is 28315, quoting by heart), to see what error(s) is/were logged.

Keep a watch out on that light, though. An oil light flickering when turning the key on a cold engine is relatively common, and is usually associated/"cured" by changing the oil pressure sensor. There is however a hypothesis that the flicker actually means you have a dormant, potential issue with the oil pump, so if you do see the light flicker, ask your dealer to have a good look at the engine oil during changes.

Checked the oil(quite an ordeal)and found it to be right at top line. Guess I'll be looking for an extender of some sort. Looked at the diagnostic codes (thanks RJVB!) and under dashboard heading got 01, 02, 08.

You might want to drain the oil, remove the sump, and check that the oil pipes in the sump are tight. We (Moto Intl.) have seen one instance in which one of the pipe connections was coming loose and bleeding off enough pressure at idle to cause the symptoms described.

Thanks, Greg. Interesting..Sounds like I need to take a close look at the oiling system. Can the oil pump be removed / inspected without removing the engine from the frame? I assume I'll fail to convince my dealer to do this, so what do you suppose happens to the "warranty" if I take this opon myself?

From what my dealer told me, taking the oil pump off/out is a lot of work. He's not the Guzzi mechanic though, so if he's wrong I'd love to hear about it. I've been considering having mine checked before the warranty runs out — it may well be that even with the broken rotor the thing works fine, I'd prefer to have just a new oil pump under warranty then a new engine.

Warranty allows you to do work on the bike, so I think you'd be fine if you decided to do things yourself. I'd have the pump itself checked by the dealer, though, supposing it can be taken off as a unit. Just to be sure that no one can claim you dropped the broken part or something ;)

Greg: what risk does one run with loose pipe connection(s) in the sump? How much work (hours) would it be to check that, during a regular service?

Hello'

Wow.. there is alot of speculation going on in this thread... I would say that you are ok, oil level is up, you haven't seen the warning ! again. It could be one of many sensors that the computer did not get a good reading from and threw the warning..

There is a diagnostics messages section in the display menues. Is there any additional text as to the warning or an error message? I wouldn't go through tearing part the sump/oil at this point. I think your dealer is right.. Let him look at it at the first 1K service.

Yes, well, just to put my comments in perspective: they were just to point out a couple of things to keep in (the back of one's) mind.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with the possible oil pump problem if the filter was downstream. Guess the sludge trap (if they still have them) will catch most large bits..I like the idea of looking closely at the waste oil and perhaps even cut open the filter at the first service. I'd expect to see some amount of swarf in the filter from normal break-in, but very little in the drained oil. Could drain it through a paper coffee filter. Maybe I could even see the screen through the drain plug. I would like to think it's just a one-time sensor / communication issue and just ride with blissful ignorance. Love the bike.

cheese

Did you clear the dashboard errors you found logged? If not I'd do that before removing the sump!

It may be irrelevant but it's a good practice to wait for the startrup light show to complete before hitting the starter button.

Graham

It may be irrelevant but it's a good practice to wait for the startrup light show to complete before hitting the starter button.

It's not irrelevant. I had the oil light come on my Breva 1100. It was caused by hitting the starter before the dash had completed its cycle. Couldn't rob any banks with this bike!

I left the errors for the dealer to see when they do the first service. I've never seen an "oil light" or any other indicator of oil pressure except in the dashboard diagnostics section of the menu, noted by an "x" next to code number 08. I never have a low oil pressure light lit on the dash, even before starting. In fact, the owners manual shows a picture of an oil can icon as it might appear on the dash, but fails to describe anything about it in the text.

...So, does anyone else with a Norge or eqivilant actually have an oil pressure light on the dash? When do you see it and when does it go away? On my Eldo, and every other bike I have with the exception of the '82 900 SS ducati, there is a light illuminated when no oil pressure, and extinguished with pressure.

Last year i bought a 2008 norge and after a few hundered this also happened to me i had the dashboard error 08 which is your oil pressure sensor this gradually became worse had the sensor replaced under warrenty have not had the problem sense, but when we replaced it we noticed that connection for the wire was very loose, might be a good place to start.

I`d like to know the answer to that too, cheese. It should be illuminated with the ignition on and ready to spin over, or so I thought.
The oil sensor is just a switch, earthed when there`s no pressure, thus giving you a light, and open when there`s pressure, no earth, so no light. I`ve just changed the oil sensor on my griso for the same reason, oil light lit on self test but out prior to starting. It`s done my head in so much that I can`t even remember what it was like originally. Been thro the diagnosis and deleted any errors, but I`m bolluxed if I can remember if it`s always been like that. The whole principal of a warning light is to go out when there`s pressure and come on when there isn`t. If it doesn`t do this, how are we to know.
Anyone enlighten us further on the correct sequence of light on or off with the ignition on ready to start?

When you turn the key, all lights come on, the needles do their little dance, and then the lights go out with the exception of those that should be on (typically ABS, N and the side-stand light).

The oil light is not just hooked up to the oil pressure sensor, clearly. It's more a generic warning light. It was on on my machine after I crashed after losing the front. There were no errors logged, so it's possible it was just to alert me to the additional message on the LCD (missing turn signal).
On the Norge, it's also the immobiliser flasher.

I have an 07 Norge with 17,000 miles on it and the oil light comes on periodically for no reason. I ignore it. It will go out after a couple of restarts. From what I gather the oil sensor is a weak link in the system and is of questionable quality. I plan on replacing the sensor at some point. This has been happening since 1000 miles, have cleared the codes numerous times, checked it with VDST diagnostic tool, checked the oil level and came up with no answers. I attribute it to the oil sensor.

Back