• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Owner To-Be

sohcfour

Tuned and Synch'ed
In a few weeks, I'll be picking up my 2009 Griso 1200 8V. I've wanted a Griso since reading about the 1100 in Cycle World a few years ago, and I've been looking for one semi-seriously for about half a year. The bike I'm buying is used, with about 1,000mi on the clock. I did have some reservations about buying a bike from a relatively sparsely-supported brand, but I know that the owners often fill in what the company leaves out. I am fortunate to have a Moto Guzzi dealer (Reina International Auto) nearby my house.

My other current bikes are a Honda CB400F and my wife's Yamaha 200 Electric. Proir to the Guzzi, I was riding a 2002 Speed Triple.

At this point, I wanted to get signed up for the forum and introduce myself. I'd also like to find out if there are things to check on the bike immediately. I'm aware of the cam recall, so I'll need to know if that was done.

It looks like there's a lot of good information here... I've got a lot of reading to do.

- Matt

If it is a 2009 it should be out of the recall range. Run a spanner over everything to make sure mothing is loose, do the tappets, ballance the throttle bodies (If needs be) get them to upload the #68 map and re-set the TPS. check/change the oils if needed. Add petrol. Flog the clacker off it!

Pete

pete roper said:
If it is a 2009 it should be out of the recall range.

Pete

My 2009 G8V fell under the recall, he's buying his used.. hopefully the recall was already performed and the warranty is registered..

312griso8v said:
My 2009 G8V fell under the recall, he's buying his used.. hopefully the recall was already performed and the warranty is registered..

OK, I thought the '09's were trouble free. My apologies. Give us a VIN# and we can get it checked if you're unsure.

Pete

All -

I just want to say thanks for the quick replies. The forum is already confirming what I expected from a group of dedicated owners of these bikes. I really appreciate the feedback on the bike, as well as a private message about getting it set up with a regional dealer. This is good stuff.

The bike itself is VIN ZGULSU0059M112147, if anyone is able to run a recall check. As far as I know it's stock but for a Termi slip-on.

Thanks - Matt

Hi Pete,
pete roper said:
OK, I thought the '09's were trouble free. My apologies. Give us a VIN# and we can get it checked if you're unsure.Pete
My Griso is from June 2009, Vin nr ZGULSE0057M111387
Can you see if my Griso had to go back for that recall?
Or can you even see if this is happened allready?
Or must I ask a official Guzzi dealer here in the Netherlands?

My Griso is running great, he's ticking a bit when he's warm/hot.
But what is ticking much or too much?
I've been riding a Harley for the last 20 years...

Thanks
Ad B

Hi Ad B, you might already know this. The digit before the alphabet M of the VIN is the year of manufacture. Your VIN ZGULSE0057M111387 revealed that the bike is built in 2007.

Pete, while you are checking the VINs, can you do a quick run on mine as well? ZGULSE0339M111269 :mrgreen:

Thank you in advance.

Phang

VIN.jpg

Congrats and welcome sohcfour!

Must have been the one that just closed on E-bay a couple of days ago over in MI. I was taking a hard look at it too. Seemed like a fair price (I'm jealous).

Beware, Pete's going to give you a lashing about the db killer being out of the Termi (hopefully the previous owner gives it to you).

do a search about Pete's Griso 8V and pipes without backpressure and it might astound you what he found out. Otherwise the Termi is top notch for workmanship and finish with the right look.

It sure looks and sounds good on my G11 (with the db killer out; ok on the 4V)

Ad B said:
Hi Pete,
pete roper said:
OK, I thought the '09's were trouble free. My apologies. Give us a VIN# and we can get it checked if you're unsure.Pete
My Griso is from June 2009, Vin nr ZGULSE0057M111387
Can you see if my Griso had to go back for that recall?
Or can you even see if this is happened allready?
Or must I ask a official Guzzi dealer here in the Netherlands?

My Griso is running great, he's ticking a bit when he's warm/hot.
But what is ticking much or too much?
I've been riding a Harley for the last 20 years...

Thanks
Ad B

OK

Total : 1
Communication Frame Number Model Model (Description ) Recall Campaigns Company Name Country
ZGULSE0057M111387
Griso e Stelvio 8V GRISO 8V EU NERA Griso - Stelvio=0Km -Valve lifter bucket Engine 8V MOTO TRICOLORE B.V. NL

Just contacted our importer's warranty man who kindly looked up your vin on the 'secret Squirrel database I don't have access to. Your warranty was activated on 12th of June 2009 and your bike IS eligible for the 0Km recall and it ISN'T listed as havng been done. I would strongly advise against riding it until you can confirm with 100% certainty that it has had the work completed.

Phang me old mate, your Vin brings up a 'Not Available' message which I *Think* means that there are no outstanding recalls on yours.

Pete

Hey Pete -

I appreciate the info on VIN searches, but I need some clarification. I *think* the recall info you gave was for Phang's bike, ending in *387. If I am interpreting your reply, that means that you didn't get any hits on ZGULSU0059M112147. Is that right?

Certainly, if my bike hasn't had the lifter recall and needs it, it will be going into the shop.

- Matt

sohcfour said:
The bike itself is VIN ZGULSU0059M112147, if anyone is able to run a recall check. As far as I know it's stock but for a Termi slip-on.
Matt, here go;
Sold 1-1-09
Cam kit done 9-11-09
No other warranty claims

sohcfour said:
Hey Pete -

I appreciate the info on VIN searches, but I need some clarification. I *think* the recall info you gave was for Phang's bike, ending in *387. If I am interpreting your reply, that means that you didn't get any hits on ZGULSU0059M112147. Is that right?

Certainly, if my bike hasn't had the lifter recall and needs it, it will be going into the shop.

- Matt

OK, sorry about that. I must of mixed up the VIN#'s. That being the case it was the Phangmiesters bike that is not listed as having had the recall and yours has. Having said that I was reading the number off the screen to Ken at the importer over the phone and can't remember now which one it was.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I love you! It cleared my doubts, your answer is far more reassuring than my dealer although they told me the same thing repeatedly.

bowing.gif

Thanks Pete,

for looking up my vin number.
And you are right, the warranty was activated on the 12 June 2009.
That's the start date of the bike license number and I still have factory warranty.
We have here 2 years factory warranty, so I have untill 11 June 2011.

But I'm very grateful for this information.
I will contact a good dealer quite close to me (50 km/32 mls) to get this recall action done, also for mapping 068.
And off course, I also welkom Sohcfour here and congrats with your beautiful bike.
Nice for you to read that the recall is done allready and nice for Phang not to worry about this.

You all will read here how it's going on from here.
Thanks.
Ad B

Hi,

I've just send an email to Theo Lamers te Nijmegen to ask about the recall.
Theo Lamers is a very good known Guzzi dealer (http://www.tlm.nl).
He called me back within 5 minutes I've send the mail. That's quick responce... :D
He also saw in his system , the cam recall was done allready. So I didn't need to worry.
Just ride and enjoy your Griso, he said.
And if you still have tiny doubts, call, make a appointment and come to take a cup of coffee.
We will look if action is required.
It was a nice and honest telephonecall, in several weeks or a few months I will get that coffee over there...
When winter is bleeding away... Now it's good weather but nearly freezing.
The last two weekends I was enjoying driving with +10°C :p :silly: .

Regards
Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi,

I've just send an email to Theo Lamers te Nijmegen to ask about the recall.
Theo Lamers is a very good known Guzzi dealer (http://www.tlm.nl).
He called me back within 5 minutes I've send the mail. That's quick responce... :D
He also saw in his system , the cam recall was done allready. So I didn't need to worry.
Just ride and enjoy your Griso, he said.
And if you still have tiny doubts, call, make a appointment and come to take a cup of coffee.
We will look if action is required.
It was a nice and honest telephonecall, in several weeks or a few months I will get that coffee over there...
When winter is bleeding away... Now it's good weather but nearly freezing.
The last two weekends I was enjoying driving with +10°C :p :silly: .

Regards
Ad B

Only problem with that is that I haven't worked out a way to do a visual inspection of the tappet 'Feet', (Which is how you can tell.) without taking the cam boxes out and that would take moe than a 'Cup of coffee's time. Now I hasten to add that simply because I haven't identified any other way of seeing what is what doesn't mean there isn't one. Perhaps use of a very small mirror and a bright light, (Plus younger eyeballs than mine :lol: ) might do the trick. Next time I have the lids off mine, or a customer's bike, I'll try a bit harder to see. Problem is I'm a cripple at the moment and can hardly walk and most real *Work* is out of the question but I'll see what I can do.

Pete

Pete

If I could jump on the bandwagon before this thread wraps up. My VIN is ZGULSE006AM112409
Ive checked it several times expecting to see a number where the alpha 'A' is but nope, its definitely an alpha.

Am I ignoring the 'A' and taking the number 6 as my year of manufacture?

thanks for the help

Rob

robfran said:
If I could jump on the bandwagon before this thread wraps up. My VIN is ZGULSE006AM112409; Am I ignoring the 'A' and taking the number 6 as my year of manufacture?
Rob, that would be a very safe assumption, yes; 2006.

Yea, but the bike in his picture is a 8V Griso, I didn't think they were making them in '06.

Back