• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Rear Tyre

Paxo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Been out the last few days putting on the miles so I can get the new engine serviced. Stopped for a break and checking around the bike as you do I noticed the walls of the rear tyre are cracking up on both sides. Tyre pressures have been regularly checked over the winter lay up so that's not been the problem. The bike and therefore the tyres have only done just over 1100 miles which is nothing. Makes me wonder how long the tyres were in storage before they were actually fitted on a wheel. Does anyone know if tyres are date stamped with a code and if so how do you read it?

The other question is what to replace them with as I will change front and rear 'cos I don't like mixing brands. I don't like the Metzlers as they seem to be fitted for looks and I'm more inclined towards the Bridgestone BT45 tyre so far. Still at around £200.00 it is an expense I could well do without at the present time, and there goes the cash for new Ikon shocks I'd promised myself. :(

Most tires will have an oval with 4 digits imprinted. The first two are the week (i.e. 2109 = twenty first week, 09 = 2009). There are many variables when it comes to tires once they are produced, so I hear your (very valid) frustration.

GT-Rx said:
Most tires will have an oval with 4 digits imprinted. The first two are the week (i.e. 2109 = twenty first week, 09 = 2009). There are many variables when it comes to tires once they are produced, so I hear your (very valid) frustration.

I know this is valid for tires sold in the USA. See title 49CFR574.5 http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/ ... r574.5.pdf. Also valid for the UK, see this thread http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthrea ... ber=298716

If the side walls are weather cracked, the rubber has broken down. Replace them no matter what date is on them.

Nice and dry today so I've taken the rear wheel out got it down to the tyre shop for a new BT45. Don't understand why the bike needs such a wide tyre as power isn't really an issue, and a narrower one would be cheaper and easier to fit. Really glad I specified a centre stand when I bought the bike. Still had to put a 3 x 3 timber under it to get enough clearance. Very interesting experience; so many things to unbolt and take off, it's just as well I had all day to figure it out. Suppose I could have read the instructions first. Yeah right! Have now been advised by my mechanic mate that the best way to refit the wheel without causing damage is to take off the drive box and fit that to the wheel first. Hey, I get to grease the splines too! Well that will be almost the entire back end of the bike in pieces, just glad it's at home and not out on the road. Also ordered a pair of Ikon shocks now I know how vulnerable this bike is to my spannering skills. Front end is next when I can afford to get a matching tyre and some progressive springs from Hagon. I just found out that 500 Royal Enfield fork gaiters are supposed to fit the fork sliders and are a 5th. of the price MG are asking, so I may try fitting a pair of those at the same time.

Hey Joe, found a dealer in the UK who stocks those levers. I'm just waiting for him to get back to me with a price to see how it compares. Mean? Who's mean? ;)

Paxo said:
Nice and dry today so I've taken the rear wheel out got it down to the tyre shop for a new BT45. Don't understand why the bike needs such a wide tyre as power isn't really an issue, and a narrower one would be cheaper and easier to fit. Really glad I specified a centre stand when I bought the bike. Still had to put a 3 x 3 timber under it to get enough clearance. Very interesting experience; so many things to unbolt and take off, it's just as well I had all day to figure it out. Suppose I could have read the instructions first. Yeah right! Have now been advised by my mechanic mate that the best way to refit the wheel without causing damage is to take off the drive box and fit that to the wheel first. Hey, I get to grease the splines too! Well that will be almost the entire back end of the bike in pieces, just glad it's at home and not out on the road. Also ordered a pair of Ikon shocks now I know how vulnerable this bike is to my spannering skills. Front end is next when I can afford to get a matching tyre and some progressive springs from Hagon. I just found out that 500 Royal Enfield fork gaiters are supposed to fit the fork sliders and are a 5th. of the price MG are asking, so I may try fitting a pair of those at the same time.

Hey Joe, found a dealer in the UK who stocks those levers. I'm just waiting for him to get back to me with a price to see how it compares. Mean? Who's mean? ;)

Glad you found a place for the levers. I like the plain aluminum finish, it matches the bike, although black would have been good too.

Well got the wheel back in, didn't realise how unfit I'd become and age is definitely starting to tell! I've got aches in places I'd forgotten I had. What my mechanic mate had neglected to tell me was that when you take the drive box off the splined link doen't always stay on at the box end. It fell out on the floor. I spent an interesting few minutes with a long screwdriver in one hand and a finger stuck up the end of the link piece trying to get the link and driveshaft to mate up again. Result was I think I got it right as the back wheel goes around when I start the bike and put it in gear, and I now know I don't like the taste of moly grease. Spent a good ten minutes cursing the Italians as I struggled to refit a silencer as it wouldn't line up straight. Finally got it on only to realise when fitting the other that I'd got the mounting bracket on the wrong side of the support. If there's two of them at least I'll get one of them right. Normally I wouldn't have been in such a hurry but it's booked in for that engine service Saturday. I'll take it out for a run tomorrow and hopefully I won't find anything out of place. I've left an envelope behind the clock for my Missus just in case. :?

My rear tire started cracking at 1200 miles also - as the bike is still under warranty, i had it replaced by Guzzi. I had no problems getting this done and am a happy camper.Erico in denver is excellent to deal with!

Consumer regs must be different in the US. Tyres come under the heading of consumables and are not covered by the warranty in the UK apparently. Very happy with the way the BT45 performs and in combination with the Ikon shocks the bike rides a whole lot better. I'll change the front tyre while I'm changing the front springs for some progressive ones as I feel suspension and tyres are the V7C weak points. I don't think I'll be changing anything in the engine department, the balance of handling and power seem to be just about spot on for this type of bike. If I wanted more performance than the V7C can offer I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Now just looking forward to getting out on the road as often as possible.

In the US tires are a consumable too. The dealer must have changed the cracked ones as a good will repair with no compensation from Guzzi corp. Done to keep the customer happy. Nice to get a dealer like that. I give credit to Enrico in Denver!

The stock Lazertechs have worked well for me, and I'm still eking out them out to the bitter end. I'll change them later this summer. Despite my happiness, I'll get something else, just as an upgrade. Possibly get lower profile rubbers with more grip.

Could have done with a bit of good will from my dealer, would have saved me £110.00 ($182.00) for the tyre and tube, plus the agro of taking the wheel out!

You might want to think about fitting a narrower one which would make taking the wheel out a darn sight easier! I suspect the 130 is just a fashion thing, the pair of MG 850's I saw the other day were running a 110 on the back and I think their power output is pretty similar. But I'd take the appropriate advice on that before changing from the standard size.

Paxo said:
Could have done with a bit of good will from my dealer, would have saved me £110.00 ($182.00) for the tyre and tube, plus the agro of taking the wheel out!

You might want to think about fitting a narrower one which would make taking the wheel out a darn sight easier! I suspect the 130 is just a fashion thing, the pair of MG 850's I saw the other day were running a 110 on the back and I think their power output is pretty similar. But I'd take the appropriate advice on that before changing from the standard size.

You need to stick with a tire size that is appropriate for the rim. Many manufactures web sites list what size rim is acceptable for a given tire size. An example is here http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecat ... asp?id=109

Back