• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to me 1980 SP1000

Bob Bernstein

Cruisin' Guzzisti
New to me 1980 SP1000

Hi, well I have been studying this board pretty regularly and listening to everybody express their love for the newer, as well as older Guzzi’s. So, I finally bought a friend’s 1980 SP1000 that he has been trying to sell me for over a year. It’s a restoration project that’s about 90% complete-a 2-3 year restoration project. My friend has pretty much gone through the whole bike since he bought it, replacing seals and whatnot, but he is also restoring an old single cylinder MV and I think he is getting to the point he wants to just ride for awhile and is cutting down from 9 bikes.
The SP’s clock says it has about 24.5K and by the look of things I say that is probably true. He has done a beautiful Red and Black paint job, as his first big bike was a Black and Red SP1000. Everything has been gone over and he had the cylinders and heads cleaned and a valve job and everything checked out. They look beautiful. Bike has a black Bubb exhaust system that needs to be repainted and brand new rubber. K&N and newer battery, the and original seat looks just fine for 30 year old bike. Windscreen is original, if a little discolored. A slight problem getting the left turn signal to work, but I sure I can track that down. I know the bike was recently running as my friend was riding it about a few years ago, he really liked and so decided it was worth putting money into himself. At this point most of the money spent was his.
This is the first time I have undertaken a non BMW project bike as I have always been a sucker for an Airhead and have done several older BMW /5,/6,/7’s as well several “newer” Airheads.
I am excited to say the least! Now instead of riding my Stelvio, I’ll probably be in the garage cleaning and what not. I know that these things always end up costing a lot more than I originally planned but I think it will be nice to take out for a spin on a sunny day. I can just hear my 1987 R80 talking back to me.
Bob

Enjoy, SP I is a lovely bike. Only thing that makes me wonder is the valve job. If mileage is correct at 24.5k, seems awfully early. I would take a look at the U-joint just in case. Sometimes they last a long time, much more than 25k, sometimes they don't. Otherwise assuming the mileage as correct & at least minimally maintained should need nothing beyond the seals already replaced, maybe most of the rubber bits like the brake lines, & the usual cosmetic stuff depending upon how stored. I'd say most likely cause of the turn signal issue is the old style bullet connectors, prone to corrosion but easily cleaned and/or replaced.

Good on ya Bob. Makes me want to go and start cleaning up the Daytona. I really like the SP although don't know much about them but they strike me as pre new era and post old school so like their era. Post lots of pictures as you progress please. Have fun and good luck with your new project.

I have just bought an SP1000 with 29000 miles. It's on it's way to me from Oklahoma so I've not yet seen the bike in person although pictures indicate it looks good.

How can I check the u-joint and seals... what should I look for? Let's pretend I know nothing...errr pretend?

I think the bike has Metzlers running tubes? What tire can I run for handling and can I run tubeless tires on the stock rims which are mag type ...

vivo

Attachments

• dealersite%2Fimages%2Fbmw-ok%2Fvp1564112_5_large.jpg
    dealersite%2Fimages%2Fbmw-ok%2Fvp1564112_5_large.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 842
Thanks for the responses. Almost 30 years ago 2 friends of mine had these identical red and black SP's and I was on a trip with them. I was riding a '77 Ducati 900 Super Sport, that is very collectible today, wish I knew then what I know now! Those two SP1000's were fast bikes then-one guy had modified his at least the exhaust and he really gave the 900 Super Sport a run for it. I had all I could so the stay up with it! The guy on the stock SP was no problem. Good thing that is no longer my style-at least not often! :evil:

vivo said:
How can I check the u-joint and seals... what should I look for? Let's pretend I know nothing...errr pretend?

I think the bike has Metzlers running tubes? What tire can I run for handling and can I run tubeless tires on the stock rims which are mag type ...

vivo

Any seals that have gone bad will be leaking. As for U-joint, usually first sign is a vibration in the footpegs. You can also put bike on centerstand & in neutral, & turn wheel. Should turn fairly smoothly. If it feels herky-jerky, that would be indication U-joint has gone bad. To really be sure, or if you feel symptoms just mentioned, you will have to unbolt rear end, then pull swing arm off & inspect the u-joint. When they are real bad, it's obvious that they are falling apart. Or the pieces may just not move easily as they should. Get yourself a copy of Guzziology & some kind of manual, either the old Haynes or an actual Guzzi shop manual if you can find one.

Lots of bias ply tires will work fine. More importantly, stick with the stock, or at least near stock sizes. That would be 100/90-18 front, 110/90-18 rear. You can go to 110 front and/or 120 on the rear, but the 120's are really too wide for the skinny 2.15" stock rims, and larger tires will slow down the steering which is already plenty slow, & tend to wear out quicker down the center because the too wide tires are bowed out on the too skinny rims-& all for no benefit in handling or stick. As a good compromise between stick & tire wear, I very much like Michelin Macadams. They provide good enough stick for my moderately aggressive riding, & I consistently get 7-8000 miles per tire on my T3, very similar to your SP. Next best in my opinion is Avon Roadriders, very similar to the Macadams with a bit less longevity. If you ride really hard & require stick above all else, Pirelli Sport Demons do that job very, very well-but thay are toast way, way sooner than the Michelins. On my T3, gone well before 4000 miles.

The stock rims as delivered cannot be used tubeless, and are not designed for tubeless usage. That said, they can be and have been modified for tubless usage by many, including me. I & others have gone over this a bazillion times both here & over at Wildguzzi. Contact me direct if you have questions after checking prior threads.

Saddle covers:
The saddle on my SP is not as good as I would like it to look. A good upholsterer who has done many motorcycle seats will recover it for me as a reasonable price but thought I maybe able to get a Moto Guzzi cover that would be more authentic.
Anybody know if there is anyone offering MG seat covers or even a retro seat cover?

GuzziBob...

Thanks for the info, all very useful to me. I will search for the threads on conversion to tubless... that has advantages and I'll take your suggestions as to tire width and type.

Well, tomorrow it gets here. I shipped with Federal Co which is connected with Allied Van Lines. So far they have been spot on with schedule. As long as my bike isn't in the two percent damaged catagory I'll be happy.

There is a guy on EBay that has Guzziology for $59.00. Is that reasonable? I've seen it for more as well...

vivo

vivo said:
There is a guy on EBay that has Guzziology for $59.00. Is that reasonable? I've seen it for more as well...

vivo

Why not support the guy that wrote it and buy it from Moto International?

Bob Bernstein said:
Saddle covers:
The saddle on my SP is not as good as I would like it to look. A good upholsterer who has done many motorcycle seats will recover it for me as a reasonable price but thought I maybe able to get a Moto Guzzi cover that would be more authentic.
Anybody know if there is anyone offering MG seat covers or even a retro seat cover?

Saddle: I haven't seen saddle cover for this bike in years. JCWhitney had them once up at time. The OEM updated saddle is still available. Looks the same as the original except the embossing is not as deep and the plastic chrome piping on the sides has been eliminated. I Prefer the updated version. A saddle with a mild step in it is also available. I'd get the stepped model if my saddle weren't almost new. MG Cycles carries both they're probably available elsewhere as well.
Tires: I'm currently using the Avon RoadRider. I like it except the dancing on highway rain grooves (parallel to road). My nest rear tire will be the Metzler ME880, this tire is supposed to be an improvement over the old ME88, which wore out much more quickly that my old favorite (now discontinued for this size) Avon Super Venom. Dunlap makes the GT501 that fits the old rims as well. Tire widths vary, for the same nominal size, by manufacture, haven't had a problem with the 120/90 in the rear.

The SP is a great bike, I've put around 85k miles on mine with no breakdowns and have restored it about 95%. Lots of upgrades and OEM parts are still available. Enjoy, Rafael

LeRoy over on Wildguzzzi sent me the name of a guy in England that makes beautuful replica seat covers for $66 including shipping. Sounds very reasonable to me.

Bob

Sorry for coming in late but on the T3 I'm very pleased with the Michelin Macadams, 110 F and 120 R, and for my touring style of riding they're fine, wet or dry, and the wear appears to be good.

Peter

john zibell said:
vivo said:

vivo

Why not support the guy that wrote it and buy it from Moto International?

The $59.00 price is from Moto International, so it is being purchased from Dave. He will sign it if you want as well.

jdg

I'm in Seattle visiting my son and daughter- it's a great idea to go over to Moto International and buy a copy, especially if
I can get it autographed. Thanks

Back