• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7 II Stone POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Scrogum

Just got it firing!
After 1964 miles it left me stranded with a clutch cable that had stretched so far that It would not disengage the clutch and made a horrid grinding sound. I had two oil leaks at the first breaking service and one of them is back, I had a headlight mounting screw fall off somewhere on the 15 freeway. All my friends told me not to get a Guzzi, I should have listened, what a piece of junk. I should have gotten a Suzuki.

Your earlier post said you wanted a shaft drive You won't get that on any recent Suzuki. I would suggest that neither you nor your dealer adequately checked out the bike before you started riding it. Motorcycles aren't Toyotas, they need to be gone over thoroughly, even Suzikis.

I guess I can't really argue with you. I have 3000 miles on my V7 II. I have had to adjust the clutch cable constantly, although its getting better now. My alternator cover leaked oil and I just fixed that. I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Saturday to get the rear main oil seal fixed. If this keeps up, I will be looking for a different bike.

Sorry for your bad experience, John. All I can say is that my V7II hasn't had any problems in nearly 8000 miles. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

I'm at the end of my rope also with this POS V7.

Starter went out and had to be replaced, 6 weeks to get a frockin starter.
Crank Position Sensor went out.
Voltage Regulator went out.
They can't figure out why the bike burns or uses a quart of oil each 1,000 miles. They tell me not to worry about it.
Wiring harness burned up as it burned up the headlight bulb and taillight bulb.
Have had trouble keeping the clutch adjusted and I think it's probably half burned up at this point.
Transmission is still sticking going down and sometimes jumps out of second gear, they tell me I don't shift the bike correctly. I've owned over 35 motorcycles and have been riding bikes for over 40 something years. But I have bad shifting habits according to the dealership.
It's never the bike, it's always me, according to the dealership. The missing oil is either rmy imagination or I'm overfilling the bike, even though if you let it get down to the lower line on the dip stick, it still continues to disappear.

I would not recommend one of these bikes to my worse enemy. They are major JUNK!!!!! You really don't have a warranty, since they won't correct stuff like the bike burning oil all the time, it blows it out the frocking breather system into the frocking intake, they will not confirm that situation or admit to this. WTF!!!!

I'm considering writing a letter to the government agency who allows this import crap to go on. Moto Guzzi need to be investigated and their import lic. revoked into this country. They are in violation of many laws.

Never in my life have I ever purchased a new vehicle as bad as this one. It's holding the record for return to the dealership. It's making my 1979 Harley Shovelhead look like a Toyota corolla or Honda Civic for crying out loud.

Your earlier post said you wanted a shaft drive You won't get that on any recent Suzuki. I would suggest that neither you nor your dealer adequately checked out the bike before you started riding it. Motorcycles aren't Toyotas, they need to be gone over thoroughly, even Suzikis.

I'd take hamster drive if it bike worked. I wanted shaft drive because its reliable. By putting the blame on me you sound like my ex, this happened when I was out on a ride am I suppose to measure the cable each time I stop?

Have you guys with the persistent problems tried a different dealer? Dealer support can make a big difference in the ownership experience.

elkgrichard, as to the oil consumption, it sounds like the rings have never seated. Could just require new rings, or there is a problem with the cylinders not being true. Some the last airhead BMWs consumed oil (and never stopped) because of poorly manufactured cylinders. BTW, BMW wouldn't admit the problem either.

Have you guys with the persistent problems tried a different dealer? Dealer support can make a big difference in the ownership experience.
It's not so much persistent problems as it is progressive problems. Fix one and then another pops up. Doesn't matter how good a dealer is if you are herding cats.

As for the clutch cable problem there is a thread on here about that. Mainly, is the cable touching the cylinders? If so then use a zip tie to pull it away. If it has been doing it long enough you may need a new cable. Also mentioned is adjusting the lever arm at the clutch instead of the cable. I do not have a V7 so I am not up on a lot of it but do a search.
Yes Guzzi's are a pain and require tinkering. I am now on my third. None have burned oil though all required a fair amount of fettling to get to where they work correctly. I am fortunate to have a Suzuki and a Honda for backup when something comes up but I have done many long rides on the Guzzis and they always made it home.
Having owned other things Italian (4 Fiats) if you want appliance like reliability do not buy Italian. If you want some character and can do some work yourself go for it.

It looks like a California thing.

Maybe they ship all the bad bikes to California, since we have that laid back reputation.

How many miles have you put on the bike in what amount of time? What type of riding are you doing and in what kind of temperatures?

I have found that people out here in California that ride a lot in hot temps all have oil burning issues or usage and are having trouble of some type with these bikes. It's a matter of using the bike and putting the miles on the bike. That is when stuff starts to show up. If you ride a couple thousand miles a year you may very well think the bike uses no oil and a great bike. Apples and oranges. Sort of like some guy tried to tell me the stock seat was comfortable and a great seat, then I found out he only takes like 30 mile rides. Then we always have that brand loyalty thing going on with some folks. That's why I no longer go into that other Guzzi forum.

In 22 months I've put over 17,000 miles on this V7.

Last edited:
How many miles have you put on the bike in what amount of time? What type of riding are you doing and in what kind of temperatures?

I have found that people out here in California that ride a lot in hot temps all have oil burning issues or usage and are having trouble of some type with these bikes. It's a matter of using the bike and putting the miles on the bike. That is when stuff starts to show up. If you ride a couple thousand miles a year you may very well think the bike uses no oil and a great bike. Apples and oranges. Sort of like some guy tried to tell me the stock seat was comfortable and a great seat, then I found out he only takes like 30 mile rides. Then we always have that brand loyalty thing going on with some folks. That's why I no longer go into that other Guzzi forum.

In 22 months I've put over 17,000 miles on this V7.

I put 1958 miles on it in a month and a half. Its been cool here in San Diego and when it failed the temp was 75 or 80. I mainly ride on the freeway at about 70 mph. There are only two dealers here and the one I bought it from I know didnt do a PDI so I'm not sure i want to go back there for repairs. If you put 17000 miles with out it stranding you somewhere those Italians must not have been in a pasta food coma when they built yours. I'm not sure why someone would have brand loyalty for MG.

My VII has been great 5000ks no probs.
I adjusted the clutch cable at the handle bar once since new and it's still good.
No oil leaks at all and I think if you have oil in the air box you must have to much oil in the crank.
I have my engine oil reading between full and half full on the dip stick cold engine.
I had a brand new Triumph speed triple back in 08 and it was a Friday special meaning it was the worst bike I had ever purchased it had heaps of things going wrong with it but others say they are as good as Japanese bikes.
Anyhow I sold the Speed Triple 3 months after Purchase lost some money but I was a lot happier with the 06 gixxer 1000.
I feel your pain..

Even with my oil down to the lower fill line on the dip stick it still blows oil into the air box. I'm using a quart of oil in less then a thousand miles. Can't get the dealership to do anything about it. I need to make a decision with the Lemon law before this warranty runs out. Do have documentation with this complaint but I need to get this addressed before the warranty ends. It (warranty) ends this June.

If your using that much oil I would think that the rings are not bed in properly so If it was my bike I would change the engine oil from full synthetic to a full mineral oil and run the bike for 1000ks then change back to full synthetic after the 1000k.
This should fix your problem.

After 1964 miles it left me stranded with a clutch cable that had stretched so far that It would not disengage the clutch and made a horrid grinding sound. I had two oil leaks at the first breaking service and one of them is back, I had a headlight mounting screw fall off somewhere on the 15 freeway. All my friends told me not to get a Guzzi, I should have listened, what a piece of junk. I should have gotten a Suzuki.
10,000 ks on my V7 and no problems. The first year or two of Guzzi ownership can be a little bit harder than some bikes, but then they reward you with longevity and character. Join a Guzzi club if you can. There's lots of good advice from the high milers.

You'd almost think we're talking about two different bikes. Unlike the early 1-TB V7 models, the newer V7 II models don't have the problem of the clutch cable contacting the cylinder. I carefully adjusted the clutch cable on my V7 II Stone when I first took delivery, nearly 8000 miles ago, and it''s not needed any further adjusting since then. Is it possible that your cable adjusters weren't tightened enough and have vibrated out of adjustment?

For every one person with problems on their Guzzi there are several people who don't have problems.
Those of you who do have problems may want to keep that in mind. Not all Guzzi's have your issues.
That said, if you are having issues perhaps you need to change what you are doing. Try a different dealer, a good dealer can make all the difference in the world with owning ANY brand of motorcycle.
Burning oil usually means either you are over filling the bike with oil or you babied it too much during break in and the rings did not seat. It is not a design flaw with the bike, or they would all burn oil.
Adjusting your clutch cable is required on any bike with a cable clutch.
And If you think Suzuki's or Honda's never have issues, well I have a Honda (it has issues and recalls) and I have owned Suzuki's (it has had issues and Suzuki would not issue a recall, you had to fix it yourself). They all have issues. There is not an idiot proof bike out there.
I have Guzzi's ranging from an '07 back to a '87 Lario, they all seem to work fine. Maybe it is how awesome I am, but I don't think so.

Is it possible that your cable adjusters weren't tightened enough and have vibrated out of adjustment?
No. Mine is tight (I use pliers). It's just become part of the routine. Tire pressure? Check. Clutch cable? Check.

There is a theory that I may have blown out my rear oil seal by having the correct amount of oil in the crankcase (which some believe to be too much). I don't use oil, I don't fill the airbox with oil. The oil level is always right at the full mark on the dipstick, but yet, that may be too much.

I agree with the last oppinions and that a good dealer makes a lot of difference although I had some issues with my V7ii (see BELLHOUSING LEAK thread).
What to you thing if we started a thread where each one would present the mechanical or electrical problems he had experienced with his V7(or ii) in short ,giving also mileage of the bike.We also present bikes with no problems at all.
That is a good way to reach an opinion about the reliability of our bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back