• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Vintage Model

Muley

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have been contemplating getting into debt on a new Guzzi, which will be my first brand new motorcycle since 1986. Actually, I've lusted for a new Guzzi since the late sixties, or thereabouts, so it could be time after forty years !

I would be happy with any of the newer bikes and would love to have one of each, but that's about as likely as tax reform. I'm drawn to the Vintage and plan to rent one when the new dealer in Dahlonega gets around to doing that. I don't see much on the forum about the Vintage and wonder how it's been working for you owners out there.

If anyone has comments to post on this model, please do so.

I've got two as rental bikes. If your new dealer in Dahlonega doesn't come to the party, you can always come down under to New Zealand to try one. :laugh:

I find they run very sweet compared with a standard EV, probably due to the dual plugs. They are a bit heavy than the EV with the extra bling attached. They attract a lot of attention amongst other riders, especially the Harley lot.

Personally, I'd rather have heated grips instead of the dual fog lights that apparently cannot be run continuously without draining the battery (insufficient oomph out of the cranshaft alternator).

Can't you get a demo ride from a dealer somewhere?

I know I can get a demo ride somewhere, but the usual demo is just not long enough/far enough for a good test, especially of things like the seat, riding position, controls, etc. The dealer I mentioned intends to eventually rent every model Guzzi makes. Right now, they just offer the Norge.

BTW, I've only seen the black Vintage with the skunk-striped seat (which I don't particularly care for). I hear the pearl white is rather attractive, and I can't wait to see one of those in the flesh.

As for riding in New Zealand, to quote from a politically incorrect and banned book in the States "please don't throw me in the briar patch". I'd be there today, but due to the strange happenings with the computer time-keeping, I would always be 16 hours behind, so NZ would have moved further east before I get there. Hey, maybe I can travel west from here and meet you coming this way.

PS See thread on Time Zone Question to understand this last insanity:laugh:

One was parked in my street yesterday evening late when I got home. I was apparently too tired to see it, but not to hear it when started. It sure sounds like it'd run sweet!

I had a good look at one at my dealer's, who had one on the floor when I bought my Norge. Gorgeous bike, a bit heavy (looks wise), and I really don't care for the cheap-looking taillight (the tube is some soft sort of plastic). I also don't see why they had to push the vintage aspect so far to put on tubed tyres.

Danilo did a nice lengthy review, here

Yes, I read all five of his reviews, and they were extremely complimentary of the bike. However, I'm sure he is like all the rest of us on the forum - maybe just a wee bit biased- for MG :)

I intend to rent a Vintage as soon as the dealer offers one and ride around the mountains for a weekend. In fact, I'm going to e-mail them right now and see when it will be available. That should give me a real good feel for the bike, but not having had a new ride for a long, long time, I would probably love ANYTHING new. After all, I had a blast on the MP3 scooter. Need I say more:laugh:

I'm sort of with Rene on this bike. $15,000 and steel wheels with tubes. I've got an '00 Jackal that I love almost as much as my first born and spent a bit over $1,500 to convert it to tubeless ( aluminum BBS wire wheels ). If I were going for this kind of ride again I'd look for an EV with low wear/mileage. Do the seat for a few hundred, add a shield and ride off into the sunset. Done:) I know this doesn't help Piaggio much but crap, they still don't get it:huh:

Well, then we're at the same wavelength on this. I didn't even mention the price...

Did the current California Classic benefit from the same engine modifications? They run tubeless, no?! One can probably dress a Classic much like the Vintage, except for the tank/frame paintjob ...

And another thought: how (im)possible would it be to adapt a current an 1100 or 1200/2V engine to a 200x California?

RJVB wrote:
And another thought: how (im)possible would it be to adapt a current an 1100 or 1200/2V engine to a 200x California?
Almost impossible with the high-mounted alternator. If one wants to delve into frame manipulation, then anything is possible. ;)

I'd really like an 8V in my Jackal. ;)

RacerX wrote:
RJVB wrote:
Almost impossible with the high-mounted alternator. If one wants to delve into frame manipulation, then anything is possible. ;)

I'd really like an 8V in my Jackal. ;)

So you would go the Ambassador frame route......
My Quota engine fitted nicely into one of those frames, only with a flat K&N instead of the airbox.
Next project I suppose...
JR

Would someone please tell what was wrong with using the tubeless laced wheels on the Vintage. I wasn't aware they were tube type and don't relish the idea of spending big bucks to "upgrade" a brand-new motorcycle. Just tonight I agreed to purchase a new, used engine for my EV and will doubtless ride it for many more years.

But... if my ship comes in then I might have two Guzzis in the garage:)

Tubed tyres on the Vintage is purely cosmetic -the tubeless type on some of the California series (like the EV Touring) have spokes extending from the edge of the rim. Not exactly vintage looking.

Advantages of tubless tyres? Not wanting to start a tyre thread, but I would guess ease of fixing a puncture would top my list. Gotta be less unsprung weight too.

BTw Muley, New Zealand is ahead of you in the time zone, not behind. Actually we're first to see the light! :p

Dave said:

Tubed tyres on the Vintage is purely cosmetic -the tubeless type on some of the California series (like the EV Touring) have spokes extending from the edge of the rim. Not exactly vintage looking.

BTw Muley, New Zealand is ahead of you in the time zone, not behind. Actually we're first to see the light!
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable

I was amused last summer when someone walked up to my '98 EV and asked "what year model is that, a '76" . I guess he didn't notice the high tech rims:laugh: However, you are correct that a flat would be easier to fix and, for whatever the reason, if one wanted to put aggressive, dual sport type tires on, then there is a much larger selection of tube type available. Why would anyone want to do that? I shopped for months trying to find some dual sports to fit the EV to use while in Alaska. I had no trouble finding one for the rear but never found anything suitable for the front. Now the Vintage looks even less like an "off road" bike than the EV, but if I ever go to Alaska again you can bet I'll have some good dirt tires waiting up there to be installed upon arrival.

As for the time zone, I learned a great deal about world times while trying to figure out Todd's forum time (which I never did), and I know you are a day older than us. I figured since the earth rotated from east to west and you must be east of me to be a day older then I would never "catch up" to you going in that direction (unless I could travel at about 1000 mph). So, with a great deal of scientific contemplation, I decided to head west and meet you coming the other direction.

Hey, I ride a Guzzi, what do you expect? :silly:

Muley wrote:
As for the time zone, I learned a great deal about world times while trying to figure out Todd's forum time (which I never did), and I know you are a day older than us. I figured since the earth rotated from east to west and you must be east of me to be a day older then I would never "catch up" to you going in that direction (unless I could travel at about 1000 mph). So, with a great deal of scientific contemplation, I decided to head west and meet you coming the other direction.

Hey, I ride a Guzzi, what do you expect? :silly:

I'm also fascinated by time zones. It's hard to swallow a trip from Auckland to LAX when you arrive before you leave. :silly:

But I'm also intrigued about travelling in the other direction. Sydney is two hours later than Auckland's time. In other words, Sydney is in the same position Auckland was (ignoring the slight latitude difference) two hours earlier.

But a airline flight is usually over three hours. My thinking is that if you take off in Auckland, and then just wait, Sydney will appear below in two hours. So why does it take over three hours to get there? My theory is that the planes are actually travelling backwards!

Hey, I ride a Guzzi too.

KD:

That's exactly the kind of thinking that will keep your mind from growing old. If you continue to hatch out theories like that, then you will (as I do) continually confuse and bewilder yourself, not to mention everyone you talk to. However, I understand your mad rantings perfectly and have come up with the same scenario about time travel.

Now - would someone riding a sensible machine, like a Honda, even be having this conversation. :blink:

One can doubt that.

They'd be out riding.

(oooooooppppsss .... that's our line! :silly:)

Back