• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbe looking at purchasing

COOPS

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone.
Im looking at purchasing a 85 lemans 1000. Ive never ridden a guzzi and i know little of these bikes. Ive always owned 2strokes :shock: and in the process of restoring my Kawa H1 which ive loved for 25years. But i need a bike too ride and allways liked guzzis and id like some torque for a change and i like classics.
An 85 lemans has come up for sale in the next town and im thinking of takeing a look at it. Good price for lots of bike. 2 owners 40,000 kms. I have many questions but realy all i need too know now is what should i be looking for on this bike? any common problems i should be looking for? are they reliable? and are parts avalailable?
Too many questions already :lol:
Any advice appreciated thanks.
Steve.

You're in NZ yes? It helps if youlet people know that.

All mechanicals are readily available. Cosmetics and some body parts are less easy. Basically a standard Big Valve Tonti. If it has a 16 inch front wheel make sure you use the CORRECT profile tyres and check the pressures religiously.

Pete

Yes, im in New Zealand. Well i bought it. What a beauty it is. It does have a 16inch front. Awesome thing too ride.
Only complaint is hell of a stiff throttle. Il need too check it out and lube. Il need too get a good manual too. and i need a strearing lock key fom somewhere.
Anywhere online for a good sevice manual? Or il go buy one. I just need too know which is the best service repair manual please?
Dont know about the tyre profile, mine has a continental on the front. Whats the correct tyre profile? Best tyres?
I suppose thats a hard question depending on use and roads.
Cheers, Steve.

If your carbs are still using the external spring, it will be very stiff. Many have been converted to using an internal spring. I put in a pair from a V65 on my MkV and removed the external arrangement. For manuals, go here http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm. As for tire profiles, just keep a match set on the bike, same brand, same series. I believe the 16 inch front will limit you choices, but do keep them matched. It is also possible to convert to an 18 inch wheel. I can give you more on that if you decide to do that. Biggest problem would be finding an 18 inch wheel for it these days.

Thanks John and Pete.
Have no idea at mo whether carbs are standard or had internal springs mod. I suspect it like origonal looking at bike.
It still looks realy unusual too me.... looks more like a car motor :lol: Dont even know how too check the oil! :lol: compared too what im used too working on. My other bike i know exactly everything about it. Its a screamer. but the Guzzi rocks (literally) :cool:
I will get aquainted no doubt over time.
Cheers, Coop.

COOPS said:
Thanks John and Pete.
Have no idea at mo whether carbs are standard or had internal springs mod. I suspect it like origonal looking at bike.
It still looks realy unusual too me.... looks more like a car motor :lol: Dont even know how too check the oil! :lol: compared too what im used too working on. My other bike i know exactly everything about it. Its a screamer. but the Guzzi rocks (literally) :cool:
I will get aquainted no doubt over time.
Cheers, Coop.

I found a 1000S manual which is close http://www.guzzitek.org/utilisation/gb/ ... F_D%29.pdf

More manuals on the bike are here http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm

I was thinking more along the lines of a workshop manual.
An owners manual is fine for the newbie, i will print one off thanks. But i will need a comprehensive worshop manual and a parts manual is handy too (microfiche exploded layout type)
Are these available anywhere?

When you get serious about manuals, find a copy of Guzzioligy by Richard somebody. Tells you all about what can be used from other models to improve restore your old Guz, and things like what not to modify coz there ain't no replacement bitz on this planet.

Never fall for the fat tyre look, makes ya guzzi a pig. Stick to whatever profiles were stock and it will reward you.

Dellorto's are notorious for heavy pull, plenty of mods will improve your bike. Had 2 MKIII's, love'm!

COOPS said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a workshop manual.
An owners manual is fine for the newbie, i will print one off thanks. But i will need a comprehensive worshop manual and a parts manual is handy too (microfiche exploded layout type)
Are these available anywhere?

Look at the second URL I gave you.

Guzziology is by Dave Richardson of Moto International. Worth its weight in gold. Not sure what John is talking about re converting from external to internal springs. My big valve 1000S has same motor & 40 MM carbs as LM IV & V. As it came you had to be King Kong to operate the throttle. There were both the usual internal springs like on every other Dell Orto carb I've seen, plus an additional spring on the cable up near the top of the carb at the bell crank. I removed & ditched the external springs on the cable. Replaced the brutal internal springs with lighter springs the original owner (for 500 miles) had purchased but never installed (along with a lot of other good stuff)-added a throttle rocker, & have been very satisfied ever since. I have heard some (including Dave Richardson) say that using the lighter springs on the 40 mm carbs can be risky, lead to slides sticking. So far (coming up on 81,000 miles) so good, not a hint of sticking slides-& my wrist is much, much happier than with stock. Also re carbs, if you have original jetting it is abysmal-grossly lean at low throttle, grossly rich at high. I live near sea level, but ride a lot at 5-7000 feet, & have developed jetting that is a bit (but not very) lean down low but much better than the unrideably rich it was stock at altitude, esp at anything beyond mid throttle, would be happy to share when you get to that point. Guzziology lists the Euro jetting which is a bit better than stock US, but nowhere near as good as I've got it now. Not sure what jetting you might have gotten in NZ, or what prior owner might have done. Guzziology will help you figure that out.

guzzibob said:
Guzziology is by Dave Richardson of Moto International. Worth its weight in gold. Not sure what John is talking about re converting from external to internal springs. My big valve 1000S has same motor & 40 MM carbs as LM IV & V. As it came you had to be King Kong to operate the throttle. There were both the usual internal springs like on every other Dell Orto carb I've seen, plus an additional spring on the cable up near the top of the carb at the bell crank. I removed & ditched the external springs on the cable. Replaced the brutal internal springs with lighter springs the original owner (for 500 miles) had purchased but never installed (along with a lot of other good stuff)-added a throttle rocker, & have been very satisfied ever since. I have heard some (including Dave Richardson) say that using the lighter springs on the 40 mm carbs can be risky, lead to slides sticking. So far (coming up on 81,000 miles) so good, not a hint of sticking slides-& my wrist is much, much happier than with stock. Also re carbs, if you have original jetting it is abysmal-grossly lean at low throttle, grossly rich at high. I live near sea level, but ride a lot at 5-7000 feet, & have developed jetting that is a bit (but not very) lean down low but much better than the unrideably rich it was stock at altitude, esp at anything beyond mid throttle, would be happy to share when you get to that point. Guzziology lists the Euro jetting which is a bit better than stock US, but nowhere near as good as I've got it now. Not sure what jetting you might have gotten in NZ, or what prior owner might have done. Guzziology will help you figure that out.

Bob,

My MkV LeMans had no internal spring just and external spring. In place of the internal spring was a sleeve that kept the slide in place on the rod. I removed the external spring and sleeve and just went to a V65 spring to use internal.

An easy treatment for stiff throttle springs is a "CrampBuster" which is a tough plastic paddle that attaches to the twistgrip and is activated more by using the heel of your right hand than by a death grip on the throttle. These cost $11USD ppd. I have one on each of my bikes due to some hand arthritis and cannot speak too highly of this device.

Ralph

Back